Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

e bay advice , purchaser not happy

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• impmann said:
    impmann said:

What do you say to my claim that caveat emptor would be used by some sellers to rip off buyers (as it was before buyer protection came in)?
    It would only catch out the gullible or those who think they can get something for nothing.

And genuinely, if you are buying something secondhand and can't be arsed to look at the pictures properly, or ask questions or view an item before bidding... then really, caveat emptor.

No, I’m talking about people who actively try to scam buyers. For example, they sell a guitar which has had the pickups changed, or is a complete mess under the scratch plate. They don’t mention this in the description then claim ‘caveat emptor’ and refuse a return. How can a buyer be expected to ask about every possible thing that could be wrong with an item?
    They still do it now, so what's different?

If you are buying a guitar and the pickups are important or you are worried about what might be under the scratchplate - ask for a picture. Or get off your ass and go look at it yourself before parting with cash. 

Want a warranty? Buy new. 
    The difference now is you know you can get your money back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 714
    edited December 2019
    impmann said:
    impmann said:

What do you say to my claim that caveat emptor would be used by some sellers to rip off buyers (as it was before buyer protection came in)?
    It would only catch out the gullible or those who think they can get something for nothing.

And genuinely, if you are buying something secondhand and can't be arsed to look at the pictures properly, or ask questions or view an item before bidding... then really, caveat emptor.

No, I’m talking about people who actively try to scam buyers. For example, they sell a guitar which has had the pickups changed, or is a complete mess under the scratch plate. They don’t mention this in the description then claim ‘caveat emptor’ and refuse a return. How can a buyer be expected to ask about every possible thing that could be wrong with an item?
    They still do it now, so what's different?

If you are buying a guitar and the pickups are important or you are worried about what might be under the scratchplate - ask for a picture. Or get off your ass and go look at it yourself before parting with cash. 

Want a warranty? Buy new. 

I bought a guitar from someone over Facebook, using PayPal (which is the real muscle behind eBay's buyer protection). When it arrived I found that there were routing holes visible outside the pickup rings, because the guy had tried routing it for direct mount and made a pig's ear of it. All pictures had been slightly angled in order to disguise the damage. PayPal of course sided with me, because his description made no mention of the alteration/damage and it's not a particularly reasonable requirement to have to ask every time 'Have you routed holes in the guitar and then not mentioned it in the description or shown it in the photographs?'.

As much as there are buyers our there who exploit buyer protection, there are also plenty of sellers out there who would exploit the hell out of a 'caveat emptor' system.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5078
    edited December 2019
    MikeS said: I've just had a look at your ebay listing, and you don't mention the nut or stress cracks. Even though you don't offer returns on the listing, I think your best bet is just to offer him a return for a refund. Then relist it again, mentioning the issue. If you knew about the Nut, and the buyer has a genuine concern, then give him his part refund. It's all of our worst nightmares, buying a guitar online and receiving it with undisclosed issues. It's what puts people off buying online. Just do the right thing.

This. 
    I definitely would’ve expected the listing to mention the nut and especially the ‘stress cracks’ (although without seeing close-up pics it’s impossible to say how a serious an issue the cracks are).
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1327
    Just to clarify i did get carried away ,
    i would say i have 300++ transactions 70% of them mainly musical related with 100%  +++,but not 300 guitars  sales probs 100 and the rest pick ups scratchplates etc
    we came to a compramise and i sent him £25
    he is a sg collector and said when he looked at his others they all had the same type of nut crack so it seems its a common trait and it is 40yrs old 
    And if you read my feedback a lot of people say "better than descibed " after recieving a guitar off me.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7385
    Anyone that comes up with an issue and asks for a partial refund I tell to return for a full refund. Every single person has stopped all contact and kept the item.

The only actual issue I've had is I listed a DVD using the ebay scanner app, and it put the wrong product description in. I didn't notice and it wouldn't play in her machine so I refunded and told her to keep it.
  • DefaultM said:
    Anyone that comes up with an issue and asks for a partial refund I tell to return for a full refund. Every single person has stopped all contact and kept the item.

The only actual issue I've had is I listed a DVD using the ebay scanner app, and it put the wrong product description in. I didn't notice and it wouldn't play in her machine so I refunded and told her to keep it.
    I recently bought a £500 camera lens that had minor scratches on the front element coating. These were not disclosed. The lens sells for £400-450-500 used without defects. I asked for a partial refund of £50 which I could live with, despite having to disclose the damage should I ever wish to sell it and certainly impacting the resale value negatively. I though £50 was fair. Seller offered me £20 so the lens was sent back. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12435
    Can everyone stop saying caveat emptor now. It's really irritating me.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10829
    tFB Trader
    Sounds like a character in Lord of the Rings who didn't make the final rewrite :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3993
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 852
    edited December 2019
    300+ sales and no complaints, I'd say you've done very well,people are fickle.

Go with your head and offer a solution which you realistically will know is a genuine solution.

1 in 300 problems is negligible, that's business.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Just get him to send it back. How much was it btw

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom