Reverting a non-recessed Floyd Rose Strat Body to a 6 screw tremolo

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 818
edited December 2019 in Making & Modding
I just bought a super light Warmoth body on which someone has subsequently installed a (non-recessed) Floyd Rose.

It was originally routed for a vintage style 6-screw tremolo, the original trem screw holes have been plugged and the two posts for the Floyd Rose drilled - of course 74m apart.

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/SWgQILV.jpg)

I'd very like to revert it to a traditional tremolo - and I understand that it will not require any further routing.

However - once the Floyd post holes are plugged, will they be covered by the standard strat pickguard? ( I understand it has a narrower tremolo recess than the floyd pickguard).

[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/4qqHyMu.jpg)
[Imgur](https://i.imgur.com/5W3OoP4.jpg)

Expert advice most appreciated...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14444
    I would expect some of the plugged FR insert holes to be visible between the edges of the scratchplate and the six screw fulcrum vibrato. 

My inclination would be to de-Floyd by changing to a Schaller two-point item. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 818
    edited December 2019
    Or a Non Fine Tuner Floyd Rose...

Thanks Funkfingers - however, given the narrow 1 - 2 mm space between the edge of the traditional Strat pickguard and tremolo baseplate, do you think that the “visibility“ of the plugged insert holes is likely to be a significant cosmetic problem?

https://i.imgur.com/abta6b8.jpg

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    IMHO, there is so much going on with that body, it seems a shame to do a full pickguard, I would leave it as a floyd and do a cut down guard, ala Eddie. if you don't like the fine tuners, look for a V 1 floyd like Guthrie uses.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    jaymenon said:
    Or a Non Fine Tuner Floyd Rose...

Thanks Funkfingers - however, given the narrow 1 - 2 mm space between the edge of the traditional Strat pickguard and tremolo baseplate, do you think that the “visibility“ of the plugged insert holes is likely to be a significant cosmetic problem?

https://i.imgur.com/abta6b8.jpg

Can’t you just drop a pickguard on it and assess ?
  • I'm looking for a nice Floyded body.. if it starts to look like too much hassle I'd be interested in it ;) No pressure though. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27574
    edited December 2019
    andy_k said:
    IMHO, there is so much going on with that body, it seems a shame to do a full pickguard, I would leave it as a floyd and do a cut down guard, ala Eddie. if you don't like the fine tuners, look for a V 1 floyd like Guthrie uses.
    ^^ wis'd!

Although it's got the screwholes from a previously fitted scratchplate, so those might need some attention?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    You won't really see the plugged holes through the tiny gaps between the bridge and the guard, but the bridge Funkfingers linked to is still an easier and probably better solution.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thanks Guys,  Both the non-fine tuner Floyd Rose and the Schaller one at 94mm wide have a larger footprint than the conventional Floyd Rose.  They will require a custom pickguard with a larger tremolo recess.  

Also sitting proud of the body (i.e. non-recessed)  they will need a neck shim (a simple matter) plus the strings will be much further away from the body (I don’t like that).

Very reassuring to hear that the plugged holes will not show.  

Rather worried about drilling the six holes for the trem though -  apparently, if they are not perfectly done the tremolo will never be stable...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    jaymenon said:

Also sitting proud of the body (i.e. non-recessed)  they will need a neck shim (a simple matter) plus the strings will be much further away from the body (I don’t like that).
    The Schaller 2-point isn't actually much higher than a traditional trem, and definitely lower than the Floyd. It will still need a modified or custom pickguard though.

jaymenon said:

Rather worried about drilling the six holes for the trem though -  apparently, if they are not perfectly done the tremolo will never be stable...
    That is true, but if you're re-drilling previously filled holes, the drill should centre itself - the chances are that it was done in a purely cosmetic way, either with filler or at best with standard dowelling, so the drill will follow the softer material. It's only if it was done very thoroughly with side-cut plugs that there's likely to be a problem.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

jaymenon said:

That is true, but if you're re-drilling previously filled holes, the drill should centre itself - the chances are that it was done in a purely cosmetic way, either with filler or at best with standard dowelling, so the drill will follow the softer material. It's only if it was done very thoroughly with side-cut plugs that there's likely to be a problem.
    Thanks John - that is very reassuring. I'll take a good look at how the holes were filled...