Modes - sorry but need advice

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited December 2019
    It's very confusing - everytime modes come up,  For me the confusion is the E Dorian is the second mode of D Major (starting on E, not D as the root), and F# is the 2nd /dorian mode of E major.

I agree with these point wholeheartedly  ....

greejn said:
    Also, if you concentrate instead on the chord tones you are playing over, it's simpler and you can avoid the wandering up and down scales business, which never works well.

greejn said:
    This won't make me popular, but....some of the best jazz players have no time for modes and modal theory. Personally I find the whole concept pretty useless for a number of reasons, just forget it! I'm off to take cover...

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks again, I'll check those videos out.
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    greejn said:
    This won't make me popular, but....some of the best jazz players have no time for modes and modal theory. Personally I find the whole concept pretty useless for a number of reasons, just forget it! I'm off to take cover...

Most Jazz standards are functional harmony not modal harmony.

If you're trying to play Jazz standards based upon functional harmony (pre 1960's), using modes is not the answer............

If you're playing tunes based on modern non-functional modal harmony, using modes is the answer.........
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • greejngreejn Frets: 127
    Fair point.