How much for a guitar set-up course?

What's Hot
Speaking with my local guitar tech, I discovered he used to be a (political science) teacher at the same community college where I teach (English). He sounded a little tired with thoughts of returning to the teaching profession and a stable wage. Over the Xmas period, I've been wondering why he couldn't teach a guitar set-up course. I know I'd be the first one to put my name down.
How many lessons would it take to teach this? Time is after all a necessary factor in setting a neck properly.
Should the courses be divided for different guitar types? I'm only interested in electric guitars, Stratocasters especially. Would a gibson player require a specific course?
Should purchasing of tools be available from the teacher?
How much should he charge? Individual or group?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    @TTony I read you did a course with Dr Robert a few years back. Any idea if he still does the courses?
    http://www.drrobertsguitarsurgery.com
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27484
    lukedlb said:
    @TTony I read you did a course with Dr Robert a few years back. Any idea if he still does the courses?

Oh wow - that’s a blast from the dim & distant!

Looks like Robbie’s website has had a major overhaul since the last time I looked, so I’d conclude that he’s still doing the courses, amongst all his other activities.  He’s a busy man.

The course I did was great, though pretty informal.  I took a couple of my guitars along and used them to do the setups on.  Pay for a days course, but come away with 2 nicely set-up guitars means the course is effectively free.  No brainer.

As long as the guitars are fundamentally sound (ie no breaks, truss rod works, doesn’t need a full refret), then you should be able to do the basics in a half-day.  Set the neck relief, deal with any high frets and do some polishing, bit of nut slot filing, set the bridge height and intonation, tighten anything that’s too loose, loosen anythIng that’s too tight, fresh strings and done.
    :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    TTony said:
    lukedlb said:

Oh wow - that’s a blast from the dim & distant!

Looks like Robbie’s website has had a major overhaul since the last time I looked, so I’d conclude that he’s still doing the courses, amongst all his other activities.  He’s a busy man.

The course I did was great, though pretty informal.  I took a couple of my guitars along and used them to do the setups on.  Pay for a days course, but come away with 2 nicely set-up guitars means the course is effectively free.  No brainer.

As long as the guitars are fundamentally sound (ie no breaks, truss rod works, doesn’t need a full refret), then you should be able to do the basics in a half-day.  Set the neck relief, deal with any high frets and do some polishing, bit of nut slot filing, set the bridge height and intonation, tighten anything that’s too loose, loosen anythIng that’s too tight, fresh strings and done.
    :)
    Thanks for your reply. I would add checking the electrics and pickup height. Of course, it’s the extra bit from personal experience that counts. Like tuning the height of the pickups rather than setting the height according to fender standards. 
    The temptation is to extend any particular argument, such as fret widths or neck radius, and suddenly that half day becomes a full day and maybe two. Getting a balance between theory and what is needed for a setup without touching on topics that might require further study: fret dressing and guitar building.