Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

You sold your guitar for how much????

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    I sold a lot of Marshalls for a hundred quid or so in the 80s, but I also gave away a 2-channel JCM800 head because it was so awful. 

I still would now tbh, I'd be too ashamed to ask for money. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Sold a PRS CE24 for £550 on here.
    Sold a Feline Panther superstrat for £600 on here.
    Sold a Lag with SIMS fretboard lights for £150.
    Happy with all of those sales at the time and have probably purchased some equal or better bargains on here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    '64 Jaguar (no issues other than cosmetic wear and tear) for £500 in 1997.

It still hurts me.....

Cheers 
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    Krautster II with a Bigsby for £1700.  Tried to buy it back but it went on eBay.  Ended up in Poland with a broken neck (on Reverb).  Not sure how you snap a Krautster neck...
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3625
    Most of these under priced guitars seem to be pre -internet.

It was much harder selling stuff via Loot or Exchange and Mart in the old days, plus of course no Paypal, so long distance sales were pretty much out of the equation too.

The potential buyer base was much smaller.
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    My crowing achievement was selling an immaculate (like new) burns marquee reissue for £80 through crack converters.
    In my defence I think I paid £350 for it new, the guitar had a horrendous set up, and I never bonded with it. I tried shifting it through trade it for £180 all the way down to £120, not a sniff. I was too apprehensive to sell it through Ebay back then. And eventually just wanted shifted of it. 

Also sold a tokai jap goldstar for £250 on Ebay, that would have been a cracking guitar with a pickup change. 

Although the losses on guitars and gear pain me, at the time I needed the money and I've never been in a situation where I had to sell all my guitars. They are just things at the end of the day.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    I sold an original 1957 Les Paul Special for £1250.

That was what it was worth then... 1992 I think. I’d spent months trying to get £1500 for it. Today it’s probably worth not far off ten times that.

On the other hand I paid £400 for my ‘65 Jaguar at about the same time as shugz sold his ‘64, and sold it about ten years ago for £1900 - which was still stupid, with hindsight.

I don’t see those prices for the Squiers and Tokais as being much too cheap - a little, but only a few tens of pounds. The AC30 though... that was unlucky. But they really weren’t worth much in the early 80s, that was probably the low point. Old valve amps were about a pound a watt! I don’t think it’s a £4-5K amp now though, more like half that unless you’re going by inflated dealer prices.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    TBH, even in the mid 90s a valve Marshall wasn't that valuable -- £150-200 for a JCM800 was about right. We had a couple of old 70s Master Volume Marshall 100w heads in the shop I ran in around 1993 - we couldn't sell them for £275...

So its all relative. But its also *massively* manipulated right now - the concept that these old amps are "rare" always makes me laugh, as they made 1000s of them. Likewise with guitars - in late 90s I visited a non-descript warehouse unit in South East London that was a 'deep store' for a few musos, a couple of collectors and a couple of well-known shops. It was racked out with cases upon cases of guitars. My biggest memory of that day were the piles of mid-late 70s Strats and Teles (100s of them) that were utterly fucking worthless - nobody wanted the bloody things. But now they are 'rare'? Bullshit, there's loads sitting around doing nothing - and why on earth would anyone pay more than £500 for one? Honestly, a modern Mexican Strat is better in every measurable way, so why is the US model more 'valuable'... because we've been programed to believe it, so that the owners of these things can make money out of them...

I'm old enough to remember when post-CBS Fenders of any kind were worth pretty much nothing compared to pre-CBS units. But now we are told that pre 74 Fenders are worth loads and buy them now before they become to valuable. Who by? Those trying to sell them.

There are great guitars that were made in the 1960s and great guitars that were made yesterday. I think folks need to stop looking backwards for the future. 

Yes, I've sold all sorts of guitars that perhaps I regret now but, you know, it was the right decision at that moment based on all the information available. My only true regret is parting with that Antoria Gold Top  Les Paul (I watch eBay daily and have done since 2003) - it was a swap for a Sound City 50w head and a 4x12 cab. Being worried about the money you received for a guitar you sold last week is  a bit daft (if you were happy to receive it at the time) but its even more daft years after the event...

My opinion and all that. YMMV. Always read the label. May contain sausages.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    'May contain sausages....'

Think this wins today's internet. Excellent :)

H

www.proudhoney.com

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I sold an old Marshall JTM-50 (or was it JMP?) head for £50 to fund a night out in the late 90s. Hmm. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Mine was an early 70s tag board 50w Marshall head and matching 4x12, bought for approx 200 and sold for the same to raise wedding funds in 1990.  The winner was again an amp, Marshall (again) PA20 head with the original cover bought in a music shop for £25, sold as it was taking up space on eBay in around 2002 (before the buzz had happened about these) I was staggered when it went for close to £700 (to be shipped to the USA at buyers cost too).  Other stupid wedding related sales were original Boss DC2 and DC3 pedals for very little
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7150
    I swapped a JCM 800 and '70s Marshall 4x12 for a Foster 4 track

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

stonevibe said:
    I swapped a JCM 800 and '70s Marshall 4x12 for a Foster 4 track
    I used the £1250 I got for the ‘57 Les Paul Special to buy a TOA 8-track cassette multitrack. State of the art in ‘92...

Landfill by about ‘98 when it broke.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7037
    tFB Trader
    I sold a '64 Höfner Senator bass for £10, the guy beat me down from my asking price of £15.

It was only 10 years old too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    In the late 80s I traded in about 12 fx pedals, including an original Tone Bender, for a Zoom multiFX.  :'(
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7037
    tFB Trader
    In 1980 I gave away my pedals, including early EHX stuff and a Colorsound Supa Tonebender. I loved that Tonebender.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24810
    Near mint 3TS ‘65 Strat for £500 (35 years ago to be fair).
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2386
    1984 USA '52 Re-issue Ex Mick Ralphs - sold it for £300 in 1989.
      1980's Schecter Tele built for Roger Taylor and featured in The Guitar Handbook - sold it for £600 in 1991. 
      1987 PRS Custom Ex Graham Gouldman 10cc - sold it for £1000 in 1995
      1995 Fender Custom Shop 50's Relic Cunetto first one in UK and reviewed in Guitarist mag -sold it for £1100 in 2000.
      1990 Fender Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Tele - £1200.

.......and so on lol. 
    boogieman said:
    In the late 80s I traded in about 12 fx pedals, including an original Tone Bender, for a Zoom multiFX.  :'(
    I did much the same in 1991 for a Boss SE-70 - no Tone Bender, but a whole load of original MXR and EH pedals including a script Phase 90 and a Memory Man.

In fairness, I still have the SE-70 and occasionally use it.

• mortmort Frets: 719
    In 20 years time we’ll all be crying over how little we sold our 2015 Gibsons for.........
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom