Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

You sold your guitar for how much????

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 423
    edited January 2020
    In the 1990s the guitarist from The Smalltown Heroes (a fairly successful originals band from Sunderland, the singer was Baz Warne who's now in The Stranglers) offered me a Marshall 50W head and 1970s 4 x 12" cab for £250 - think it was either a JTM or JMP.

I could probably have knocked him down to £200. Refused it as I:

1. Didn't have the money.
    2. Couldn't (and still can't) drive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5051
    monoamine said:
    You guys are doing it wrong... I've only ever broken even and often made a bit of money on my sales.
    Wrong thread! There’s probably one on here though, for the ‘I’ve never lost money on gear sales’ people!  ;)  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    All depends on how desperately you need the cash and how quickly.
    I once swapped a 60s Gretsch Tennessean for a Ducati 250 at a time when you could hardly give away a Gretsch.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:
    In the late 80s I traded in about 12 fx pedals, including an original Tone Bender, for a Zoom multiFX. 
    I did much the same in 1991 for a Boss SE-70 - no Tone Bender, but a whole load of original MXR and EH pedals including a script Phase 90 and a Memory Man.

In fairness, I still have the SE-70 and occasionally use it.
    I dread to think what it’d all be worth nowadays. I also had an EHX Black Finger, an early Ibanez phaser, a Cry baby, some Boss pedals and several others that I can’t remember. It all went for a straight swap for the earliest incarnation of the Zoom... the beigey coloured one that attached to the guitar strap and had a separate two button up/down selector. Long gone now (and I’ve no idea where it went either). 
  • In a moment of madness in about 1992 I traded my pretty much mint 1953 blonde Hofner Senator acoustic plus about £50 for a 1970s Saxon SG copy with a (fake) Bigsby.

I’ve still got the SG if anyone fancies something overpriced and ‘vintage’.  ;)
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1747
    Danny1969 said:
    I've made my mistakes on amps over the years rather than guitars. 

1986 sold a HiWatt Custom 100 for £100
    1993 sold a Marshall silver Jubilee 100 watt for £200 and the matching cab for £140
    1994 sold a Marshall  100 watt valve head for £100 

But at the time your lusting over something else ... old Hiwatts and Marshalls weren't that popular in the late eighties and early nineties. People wanted a  more processed sound like Gallien Krueger, Kitty Hawk, Mesa rack etc 
    I think you did well getting £100 for a Hiwatt Custom 100 in 1986. I bought a DR103 for £90 4 or 5 years after that. 
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Ah well, here’s a thing.

Unemployment forced me to put my Tyler Studio Elite up for sale not long after I moved to Scotland in 2014, tried it on Reverb for a while which was frankly painful. Even back then new they were North of 3k so £1800 didn’t seem unreasonable but no dice. So I stuck it up on here for £1600. Got an offer of 1k plus a Hardtail USA Strat from a fellow forumitr, I didn’t need the Strat but it seemed a fair deal and a friend said his son would take the Strat and he’d pay me for it within the month.
    Unfortunately his life got a bit complicated and he fell off radar so I effectively got 1k for a Tyler, I think the full fat US ones are more like 4-5k now. .
    Honestly don’t think it was ever his intention to turn me over and he had been an eternally kind and very generous friend up to that point but it was a fairly savage lesson in how someone’s life can get turned around so fast !
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I sold a Laney AOR30 combo for £120 and promptly bought a Cdwriter for my PC at £100.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    boogieman said:
    In the late 80s I traded in about 12 fx pedals, including an original Tone Bender, for a Zoom multiFX.  :'(
    I did much the same in 1991 for a Boss SE-70 - no Tone Bender, but a whole load of original MXR and EH pedals including a script Phase 90 and a Memory Man.

Back when I was looking to buy a vintage Jaguar I remember stumbling across a guy's website that told the stort of him trading his burgundy mist metallic Jag + cash for one of the first Boss multi FX (one that had 3 or so effects??) sometime in the 80s.

The author took the time to write how he needed to take a moment when thinking about that again. Wowzer.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:
    In the late 80s I traded in about 12 fx pedals, including an original Tone Bender, for a Zoom multiFX.  :'(

Back when I was looking to buy a vintage Jaguar I remember stumbling across a guy's website that told the stort of him trading his burgundy mist metallic Jag + cash for one of the first Boss multi FX (one that had 3 or so effects??) sometime in the 80s.

The author took the time to write how he needed to take a moment when thinking about that again. Wowzer.
    That's how it works with the the latest "must have" tech though, nobody would bat an eyelid if you swapped an R8 today for an Axe-FX3, but they will laugh about it in twenty years' time. 

When a phone with a two year lifespan costs the same as a new Gibson SG Standard all it tells us is what's important to us here and now, not how silly we'll feel in hindsight. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s beyond me why people get obsessed about stuff they’ve sold in the past. 
    Something is only worth what some will pay at the time it’s for sale. demand goes up and down obviously. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A mate of mine sold a '69 Tele in great nick for £450 about ten years ago. A well-known Glasgow dealer told him that was all he could offer, and despite my protestations my mate took the deal. Needless to say it was then sold on for thousands.
  • A mate of mine sold a '69 Tele in great nick for £450 about ten years ago. A well-known Glasgow dealer told him that was all he could offer, and despite my protestations my mate took the deal. Needless to say it was then sold on for thousands.
    You should of offered your mate £500 for it. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    It’s beyond me why people get obsessed about stuff they’ve sold in the past. 
    Something is only worth what some will pay at the time it’s for sale. demand goes up and down obviously. 
    I'm not at all obsessed about the money - I miss my '61 J-45 far more than that '57 LP Special, not because it's gone up in value, it has but nowhere near that much... but because it was simply a wonderful guitar, and I'm unlikely to find or be able to justify spending that much on another one as good. I played another one recently and it was very nice, but still not quite the same - and worth about twice what I would want to spend on a guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• uksaint7uksaint7 Frets: 309
    Strat54 said:
    1984 USA '52 Re-issue Ex Mick Ralphs - sold it for £300 in 1989.
      1980's Schecter Tele built for Roger Taylor and featured in The Guitar Handbook - sold it for £600 in 1991. 
      1987 PRS Custom Ex Graham Gouldman 10cc - sold it for £1000 in 1995
      1995 Fender Custom Shop 50's Relic Cunetto first one in UK and reviewed in Guitarist mag -sold it for £1100 in 2000.
      1990 Fender Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Tele - £1200.

.......and so on lol. 
    Was that '95 Relic Cunetto the butterscotch Tele? I sold the first one in the UK that was reviewed in Guitarist Magazine when it was brand new. After the Guitarist guys had reviewed it it came to Soho Soundhouse where I was working and I sold it for RRP (it was around £2.5k or thereabouts- I gave the customer a copy of the magazine review too). It went to somebody in West London, I remember as I delivered it after work one evening along with a small portastudio setup. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I got £20 for a boss cs1 in a part exchange, not all bad got £30 for a metal zone in the same part exchange bundle.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.