Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

BBC Dracula

What's Hot
I watched episode 1 on iPlayer last night & really enjoyed it. 

Gory, funny, scary & a bit camp... Excellent. 
Apart from a couple of misfires with Dracula's accent the beeb seem to have nailed it- Sister Agetha being a highlight. 
MrsLostSon made me pause it for a breather at one point. 

I enjoyed the twists on the well known story & am looking forward to where they take it next. 

Feel free to post spoilers if you feel the need- the story is 100 years old. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Second episode was a bit slow I thought, but the last half hour was ok and ended with a good twist ready for the final episode. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7886
    Put together by the same team as Sherlock, so bound to be half decent. 
  • First episode was better than the second but thought it was brilliant. Can’t wait for the finale tonight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Missed it on Wednesday so watched the 1st episode last night and really enjoyed it, although Dracula's accent once he'd de-aged was a weird choice.

A few "easter egg" style lines in the script, like Sister Agetha saying she has a "detective friend in London"

I liked the wolf/man transformations being more visceral than the usual quick puff of smoke transformation.

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5387
    Snags' household in the "good stuff" camp, with a good combination of the original story and interesting/fun liberties taken (especially as the original novel is actually pretty chuffing dull, particularly if one comes to it with cinematic expectations of the story).

Could have done without Dracula coming across as a slightly less evil David Walliams at times (yeah, don't much rate David Walliams) but other than that, good fun and effective.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    We have it recorded and watched the first episode last night, really enjoyed it, camp, quirky, funny, great characters, even made me jump a couple of times, even when I knew it was going to happen...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Oh and some great one liners.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• paulnb57 said:

"I'm undead, not unreasonable" 

Made me titter.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30294
    My favourite Dracula was Christopher Lee.

Haven't seen any of these but I thought Penny Dreadful was very entertaining.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:

Give it a watch.

It's uncanny how similar in looks this new geezer is to Christopher Lee in certain scenes. I know Mr Gatiss is somewhat of a fan, so I doubt it's coincidence. 

I think they've done a great job of it. 

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    paulnb57 said:
    there is no one..... living.... here
    play every note as if it were your first
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Missed it on Wednesday so watched the 1st episode last night and really enjoyed it, although Dracula's accent once he'd de-aged was a weird choice.

A few "easter egg" style lines in the script, like Sister Agetha saying she has a "detective friend in London"

I liked the wolf/man transformations being more visceral than the usual quick puff of smoke transformation.

It's very good. Interesting to see if there's a crossover and Holmes and Watson turn up ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    I started watching it, but got bored and watched something else.
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4707
    Enjoyed it and will watch episode two shortly.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10296

Yep, really enjoying it so far, Dolly Wells being the standout to me. She's very good in it. 

Anyone notice the Crowded House reference?
    Couldn't suss out the context for putting it in if deliberate though. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22971
    edited January 2020

Bloody marvellous.

So far.

The twist at the end of episode 2 was a genuine surprise - well done BBC for not even hinting at it in the trailers - but I have no idea where it goes now.  I really hope it doesn't get too Sherlock and collapse under its own smart-arsedness.

• Sassafras said:

Christopher Lee is my favourite everything.  His films with Peter Cushing in particular are ones that seem to bring me more joy as a viewer than almost all other films. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    I will give it a whirl... although I hope it's better than Gatiss' interpretation of Martin's Close, which was the dullest thirty minutes of TV that I've seen in recent years.
  • RobDavies said:
    I will give it a whirl... although I hope it's better than Gatiss' interpretation of Martin's Close, which was the dullest thirty minutes of TV that I've seen in recent years.
    Ah, now I enjoyed Martin's Close but found this Drac well over the top.
    Too many horror items bunged in.
  • RobDavies said:
    I didn't see it but his short horror last year about the editor wasn't great, it seemed like he'd been watching 'Berberian Sound Studio' and wanted to do something inspired by it and the new one looked the same for the film 'The Witch', I'll still give it a watch at some point though.