Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

BBC Dracula

What's Hot

Comments

• Dracula is delivering his lines as if it were Jonathan Ross playing the evil villian, whereas Ross is an overpaid arsehole......this series of drac has been fabulous and sister Aggie is stealing the show.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Sassafras said:
    My favourite Dracula was Christopher Lee.

Haven't seen any of these but I thought Penny Dreadful was very entertaining.

Christopher Lee is my favourite everything.  His films with Peter Cushing in particular are ones that seem to bring me more joy as a viewer than almost all other films. 
    He was also a great Bond villain. The film was mediocre but he took it up a notch or two.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22999
    Sassafras said:
    Sassafras said:
    My favourite Dracula was Christopher Lee.

Haven't seen any of these but I thought Penny Dreadful was very entertaining.

Christopher Lee is my favourite everything.  His films with Peter Cushing in particular are ones that seem to bring me more joy as a viewer than almost all other films. 
    He was also a great Bond villain. The film was mediocre but he took it up a notch or two.

I think Christopher Lee was born to play Dracula, but the Hammer films, apart from the first one, aren't very good and Lee is woefully underused - he doesn't even speak in at least one of them!  He wanted to make a version more faithful to the book and was, I think, proud of the Jess Franco version... but it's not very good either.

(Speaking of The Man with the Golden Gun, that film is helped a bit by Lee but also by Maud Adams, who's quite a tragic character as Scaramanga's mistress.  In comparison Britt Ekland is just an ornamental dimwit.)

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

Yep, really enjoying it so far, Dolly Wells being the standout to me. She's very good in it. 

Anyone notice the Crowded House reference?
    Couldn't suss out the context for putting it in if deliberate though. 

she was so good at being Dutch.. not only the accent, but the mannerisms etc.. that I was thinking,
    why is there a Dutch girl in this?? until the van Helsing bit became clear..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3055
    Hugely disappointing final episode...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18869
    Bollocks. Thought this was going to be about a new BBC Goth Vampire Channel  :'(
  • Very good, I enjoyed it. Also amazed I managed to watch 4.5 hours of the BBC without Vomiting Blood :)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited January 2020
    paulnb57 said:
    Hugely disappointing final episode...
    Agreed. Such promise in the first two episodes, which were really entertaining. I almost forgave them for completely ruining Sherlock Holmes for me. Then they ruined Dracula in the last episode.

But Claes Bang and Dolly Wells were outstanding. Also the cinematography  was superb. The overwrought writing ultimately let things down.

It's not a competition.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Well the ‘Children of the Night’ quote was finally shoehorned into the script, and I was waiting for the Peter Cushing pulling down the curtains stunt.

Obviously done with a lot of affection to the character and previous tellings, although halfway through the final one I was a bit unsure about the time jump, but on the whole I think it worked well as a twist on the tale.

Too late in the evening now but I’m looking forward to seeing the companion Mark Gatiss program. 
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Clarky said:

Yep, really enjoying it so far, Dolly Wells being the standout to me. She's very good in it. 

she was so good at being Dutch.. not only the accent, but the mannerisms etc.. that I was thinking,
    She started to remind me too much of a Dutch girl who worked for EMI in Nashville when I was out based there, happy thoughts ! 
    Overall a great take on the tale.
  • Clarky said:

Ironically, her Father, John Wells was in the 1980's TV Mini Series......."Dutch Girls" :) Oh...and he made an appearance in Bottom as well.
    edited January 2020
    Well..... it was ultimately a bit too Sherlock.  I didn't mind the time jump but it didn't need Gatiss's comedy Renfield and far too much time was devoted to the unpleasant Lucy and weedy Seward.  Not a total let-down, but a little anticlimactic.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3339
    edited January 2020
    The last episode was just meh. 
    It almost felt like I’d wasted the previous two nights. 

The time jump was a good twist but not really needed. The modern characters were shoe horned in at the end and pointless they missed an opportunity to have the modern worlds unhealthy lifestyle the ultimate downfall of Dracula, in a world that seemingly doesn’t care if people go missing, people already zombies to their phones he could of had seemingly very rich pickings for food, no one would care if people went missing, but all the damn hormones , E numbers and general public health decline could have killed him off, not to mention the prevalence of aids and other immune diseases etc they started it mostly with the cancer reference but it could have been developed better. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Clarky said:

Ironically, her Father, John Wells was in the 1980's TV Mini Series......."Dutch Girls" :) Oh...and he made an appearance in Bottom as well.
    interesting coincidence maybe?
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Clarky said:
    Clarky said:

interesting coincidence maybe?
    That's all, yes. Didn't realise who her Dad was, he was in a ton of stuff.
  • StanleyAccringtonStanleyAccrington Frets: 264
    edited January 2020
    *SPOILER ALERT* 

The final episode was pants. Shame really as it was great prior to this. The ending should have been when Van Helsing ran at the curtains and tore them down...would have been a great nod to the Hammy House Of Horror.
    The ending should have been when Van Helsing ran at the curtains and tore them down...would have been a great nod to the Hammy House Of Horror.
    I was surprised how clunky that curtain-tearing scene was.  It's brilliantly done in the 1958 film.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    *SPOILER ALERT* 

The final episode was pants. Shame really as it was great prior to this. The ending should have been when Van Helsing ran at the curtains and tore them down...would have been a great nod to the Hammy House Of Horror.

Would that not have wasted a whole chunk of character development and plot though? 

All 3 episodes were heavily about learning what and why dracula was, he was never pure evil, there was reasons for everything (though we didn't know them).

VanHelsing didn't simply want to kill him, but learn about him. In the end it became an uneasy respect between the two, and Dracula got to take the pain away of the first woman he met with no fear of him, or death.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2907
    Got bored in episode 2 and had no interest about halfway through 3 so switched off. Shame as I thought episode 1 was really good.
  • I finished it last night & must report that I was somewhat disappointed by the final episode. 
    I really enjoyed the camp shock horror of episode 1 & felt the last episode didn't really fit- it almost seemed to be a stand alone. 

Still one of the best things I've seen on TV in a while though.