Repli-JEM build

What's Hot
AlexWilmotAlexWilmot Frets: 6
edited January 2020 in Making & Modding
Picked up a Ibanez the other day

as mentioned before has a Dimarzio evo 2 in the bridge, Seymour Duncan in the middle and schaller in the neck,

But I don't like the look of it at the moment and the paint has loads of scratches in it, so disassembly time and the bodys now stripped of everything

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlexWilmotAlexWilmot Frets: 6
    edited January 2020
    Went and order some bits,
    Brown Tortoise shell pickguard, Axerus Ethereal Neck pickup, S90 middle single coil, Matching nickel cover for the Dimarzio Evo and all new electronics(Had Gibson 500A pots and a Jap style 5 way in)
    https://i.imgur.com/wMqZkvX.png
    https://i.imgur.com/PXjOCEq.jpg
    Not sure what colour I'm going to spray the body just yet, will make a last minute decision once I've got the body ready for paint
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Quick question - how do you plan on removing the finish from the 'claw' marks behind the trem?

Nice project, btw :)

Adam

• lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    Cool project ! What are these Ethereal pickups like ?
    Are you planning to strip and refinish the body ?
  • Kalimna said:

Quick question - how do you plan on removing the finish from the 'claw' marks behind the trem?

Nice project, btw :)

Adam

So I started using Nitro Mors on the body yesterday and attacked the pickup and trem cavities, after 5min of the first layer I added a 2nd layer of Nitro then waited 30min before using a plastic scrapper, the trem lion's claw is now either stripped to the wood or has some grey primer left, was releatively surprised how easy this bit was

• lysander said:
    Cool project ! What are these Ethereal pickups like ?
    Are you planning to strip and refinish the body ?
    To be honest I have no idea what the pickups are like, the guitar needed a change and the description fits the style of playing I'm going to do,

So currently stripping the body and will do a sand on the bigger flat areas from 400 up to 1200, I think I might use Rustoleum painters touch spray to finish the body, no idea if it needs a primer and/or clear coat though
  • Can’t wait to see this, hope it’s desert yellow, pink or slime/loch ness green  
  • Can’t wait to see this, hope it’s desert yellow, pink or slime/loch ness green  
    Nope not going to be like any JEM you can buy, thinking satin black or satin oxford green with the tortoise shell pickguard
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pickguard arrived today

Hopefully have some time on the weekend to do some more stripping on the body
    edited January 2020
    Finding it easier to use a heat gun and scrap off the red paint and then nitro Mors the heavy thick many many layers of primer on this

edited January 2020
    So I've managed to get the body down to the wood sealer layer but have burned through to the wood(by sanding not the heat gun) in some areas, would I need to spray more wood sealer on or just use primer?
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Interesting project. I hate nitromors, messy and for me it didn't work too well. I've done 3 bodies with heat, two worked brilliantly, the other was a total fail (plywood squier body with some kind of poly). The paint eventually melted, bubbled up, but refused to come off. I think I binned it in the end!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    So I've managed to get the body down to the wood sealer layer but have burned through to the wood(by sanding not the heat gun) in some areas, would I need to spray more wood sealer on or just use primer?
    If you're painting it - primer will be dandy - if you end up with a grainy bit use the primer as filler - sand back a bit and re-apply
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    If you're painting it - primer will be dandy - if you end up with a grainy bit use the primer as filler - sand back a bit and re-apply
    Cheers! decided to paint it as Basswood isn't the best to stain really (although the BSB JEM is a stained basswood body) still undecided on the colour I'm going for
    edited January 2020
    After all the nitro and scrapping, a sanding block and 120 attacked the body, then used 400 afterwards, feels super smooth!

https://imgur.com/gallery/UMI1PrC

Only going to spray primer on Saturday if the weather's good and hopefully there aren't too many issues to try sand out
  • Gone and sprayed the first few layers of primer

Not sure if you can see from this last photo but there a surface of the moon in this one spot, I suppose some more sanding is required
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Sanding is key to a good finish....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    paulnb57 said:
    Sanding is key to a good finish....
    Nice pun ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I know the moon surface area is where I burned through the wood sealer to bare wood when removing the old paint, would I need to just sand with high number grit paper or build the layer up with more primer?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    You should remove everything on that body and leave it as bare wood. Unless that surface is level and smooth you won’t get the finish you want.
  • You should remove everything on that body and leave it as bare wood. Unless that surface is level and smooth you won’t get the finish you want.
    Tempted to leave it since its only that spot and another on the rear by the trem cover... seems like a lot of effort and pain for 2 small spots