'Oily Towers' ... all the latest from Oil City Pickups

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    TheGuitarWeasel;198296" said:
    The first public outing of the new humbucker designed with Jonathan from Feline ... look in the single pickup LP :-) The Treatment in full swing:

http://live.mytaratata.com/emission/taratata-n488/video/4794/the-treatment-highway-to-hell-2014-multicam
    The SG has one in as well....so both are OCP powered.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Oh - quick update (better pics will follow)

Just assembled a new V and put a pair of experimental pickups Ash & I cooked up

I wanted something that would let me deal with my two favourite "Obsessions" (sic) Michael Schenker and early Kiss
    So Ash and I tinkered around with ideas around the Nightfighter , but moreso looking back at very early Dimarzio Super Distortions before they felt the need to increase the power and spoil the recipe.
    Ash worked his magic and the first prototypes were born......
    The results from first impressions are very good.
    So far blasting out some UFO, MSG, Kiss and Randy Rhoads era Ozzy it nails the tone.
    It is pretty perfect for that NWOBHM era metal to my ears.

More tests will follow

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh - quick update (better pics will follow)

Just assembled a new V and put a pair of experimental pickups Ash & I cooked up

I wanted something that would let me deal with my two favourite "Obsessions" (sic) Michael Schenker and early Kiss
    So Ash and I tinkered around with ideas around the Nightfighter , but moreso looking back at very early Dimarzio Super Distortions before they felt the need to increase the power and spoil the recipe.
    Ash worked his magic and the first prototypes were born......
    The results from first impressions are very good.
    So far blasting out some UFO, MSG, Kiss and Randy Rhoads era Ozzy it nails the tone.
    It is pretty perfect for that NWOBHM era metal to my ears.

More tests will follow
    Oh man, that sounds awesome.

I'm really excited to getting another set of OCP's.  
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10419
    edited March 2014 tFB Trader
    At the moment @FelineGuitars and I have the twin Vs of evil :) my own 67 Epi is sporting the same new prototype in the bridge, with a Scrapyard Dog Plus in the neck.
    The eagle eyed will have noticed I've removed my Stetsbar. The trouble I find with a trem on a guitar I use as regularly as this ... is that I spend all my time playing with the 'waggle stick', and not enough on my technique ... so off it came. Still the best 'Gibbotrem' in my books mind.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Hi Ash - just PM'd you about the order I mentioned. :-)

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Thing as that pickup married to a Floyd sounds fun....
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i like the sound of all these new experimental pickups...makes me wish i had another guitar!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    Just put a Nightfighter (B) and a Scrapyard Dog + (N) in my Eggle Berlin Deluxe ....... Oh lawdy!

Always thought the SD's that were in there sounded a bit meh! but these sound HUGE!

Thanks Ash :-)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10419
    tFB Trader
    Ah the Eggle has landed then! :-)

I'll get me coat ....

Glad you like em mate ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    edited April 2014
    And now I'm obsessing about a single pickup V either Korina 58 style or maybe more 67 ri made by Jonathan with one of Ash's double cream Oil City SD prototypes slammed in the bridge pickup hole

Chris Spedding would I'm sure approve....
    edited April 2014 tFB Trader
    Here is the clearer picture of the white V90 - click to supersize!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Very nice!!!
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    That's a beauty
    Don't touch that dial.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    edited April 2014

World's worst photographer strikes again! Still, thought I would show it in situ.image
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553

World's worst photographer strikes again! Still, thought I would show it in situ.image
    If Salvador Dali could take photographs...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    hah! I don't know why my camera phone photos go wonky when I put them on here, they aren't wonky on my phone or on photobucket.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    Hi there, I am in the process on sorting out parts for a guitar I am building,I have an ibanez rg shaped alder body and has HSH configured pickups routed in the body. Not knowing much about pickups and the science involed in choosing what sort I want ,i was wondering if you could help me in choosing the pickups that would suite the sound I am after. In the bridge position I am look for a pickup that growls and has a chunk chunk sound like Zakk wylde has. The neck position I do like a bluesy tone that with good sustain. As for the middle single coil what ever would compliment he other pickups. Anyway the sounds I am aiming for are something like dimebag darrell,Zakk wylde and the like so all suggestion welcomed as the is my first guitar build and I have only been playing for a year . Cheers dazz
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    edited April 2014
    Hey Ash,

I think you ought to start thinking about Offset guitar pickups, mate... Howabout a Jazzmaster set where the neck pickup is big, open and deep (like a good vintage one) and a bridge unit that keeps that depth and open sound, but with some warmth and fatness (think of it as a Jazzmaster version of the Broadcaster pickup, but not a Tele pickup shoved into a JM form-factor)...

I think they'd sell in spades, mate.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Anything coming for us offseters Mr Weasel?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    When are these old SD-a-likes gonna be for sale... /interested.