iMac/ Macbook/Mac Mini

What's Hot
Hi guys.

I've been toying with the idea of purchasing one of these devices in the future for my Scarlett Focusrite. 

I use a Windows laptop currently but it's getting quite old. Nothing wrong with it but it's an i5 processor and 8GB RAM. Editing music with Reaper is really processor intensive and pretty slow.

What would you guys recommend? I've used Apple before but 95% of my experience is with Windows computers.

Or would you stick with buying a better Windows system? 

Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    The big question has to be........Budget??
  • Phil_CPhil_C Frets: 252
    andy_k said:
    The big question has to be........Budget??
    Knew I'd forgotten something :)

I don't mind buying second hand. Possibly £500-700? Maybe more?

I'm not too clued up on Mac prices at the mo. Though I know they can be grossly expensive! I just want one for simple DAW recording/editing.

Cheers.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    TBH, I'd expect an i5 and 8gb ram to be able to handle audio recording quite well unless you're doing massive sessions with lots of plugins. What problems are you encountering specifically?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    edited January 2020
    I just purchased a used 2013 iMac - 27", 500GB SSD, i5, 8GB RAM for £550.  On the one hand it's a lot to pay for an old computer.  On the other, the thing looks new, the screen is awesome, it works perfectly and is fairly quick with the SSD - quick enough for moderate Cubase use.  That's one option anyway.  Having said that it's not much different spec-wise to your existing laptop, so who knows?  Also, don't underestimate the usefulness of screen real estate, a dual-monitor setup is awesome compared to a laptop screen.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I have been using a late 2009 13 inch MBP, i5, 16 gig of ram, running off SSD, for about 2 years now.
    I originally got it here, for about £400, and did the 16 gig upgrade myself, also took out the CD and put in a 2TB disc for storage.
    Not long after I got it, I made the move from PT and Logic to Reaper, and to be honest, I think it has only ever crashed a couple of times, probably down to a bad plugin.
    I also got a similar year Macmini, as a backup, which also has 16 g ram, but is running of a standard HD, and doesnt get used too much as I have it hooked up to my TV.
    My main alternative rig, for taking out to record, is an Asus Zenbook, also running off SSD, but this time i7, and only 4 G ram, my main frustration with it is Windows, not Reaper, I mainly use it to do stem mixing, and recording via a Zoom r16, which has 8 mic inputs. 
    Your budget, IMO, would buy you a relatively recent PC, which would be well up to the task, but I would expect you could pic up an older MBP, for a bit less and do similar upgrades as mine, be careful with the model and you would be fime.
    If you want to be bang up to date-it will now cost considerably more to achieve the same useable spec.
    It all comes down to the level you want to work at, and making any limitations work for you.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    £500-£700 buys a lot of PC compared with Apple stuff.  All depends what you want to do with it. 

Get an SSD for your laptop would be my first stop - older laptops have very slow discs (and they're usually the first thing to conk out).
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I quite like an Imac for music editing, your get a pretty good second hand one for £500. I use a really old core 2 model with 4Gb ram but it's quite happy recording and running plugins on 24 tracks ... and that's on the internal mechanical system drive
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    edited January 2020
    I absolutely love my Macbook pro. I had one from new that I used for 16 years before letting my daughter have it. Great mileage compared to my son's PC laptops that seem to die after about 4 years. I bought a newer secondhand one about a year ago for around £800 I think and it is fabulous. 

I have simple tastes, so I use Garageband, iMovie etc. I do videos and record wth my Nikon D3200 directly into Quicktime and record sound with GB using a Scarlett Focusrite interface. It's then put together in iMove. All free software!
  • BodBod Frets: 1299
    edited January 2020
    Branshen said:
    TBH, I'd expect an i5 and 8gb ram to be able to handle audio recording quite well unless you're doing massive sessions with lots of plugins. What problems are you encountering specifically?
    I agree, but laptops often have 5200rpm drives in which is usually the bottleneck.  Slinging in an SSD and fresh installation would work wonders.

EDIT : Just looked through the thread and @Jalapeno said the same before me.  Soz.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    Pick up a decent i7 2012 Mac mini fr that money , probably 16G Ram and SSD.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    Branshen said:
    To be honest, it's probably all the shite I have on it. I use it for work also so not ideal. I suppose I could use an SSD. 

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I am gassing to be honest. I've always liked the idea of using Apple for the inclusive and free software. 
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    To be honest on that budget you might look at upgrading what you have. SSD dedicated for music and a good dollop of Ram would help. 

If it has to be a Laptop I always think they are a pain 2nd hand if they break and to me, I like a good tower for music easy to throw in more drives and memory. 

I was lucky last year to get a fully loaded 6 core Macbook Pro 32gig but in reality, I would rather have been given money and get an old MAC Pro tower for 1-1.5k 12 cores 48 gig of memory. 
    To be honest on that budget you might look at upgrading what you have. SSD dedicated for music and a good dollop of Ram would help. 

If it has to be a Laptop I always think they are a pain 2nd hand if they break and to me, I like a good tower for music easy to throw in more drives and memory. 

I was lucky last year to get a fully loaded 6 core Macbook Pro 32gig but in reality, I would rather have been given money and get an old MAC Pro tower for 1-1.5k 12 cores 48 gig of memory. 
    Yes definitely an option.

I'm going to write down all the possibilities and have a good comparison. Cheers
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264

@Phil_C if it were me, I would stay with Windows as that is what you are used to. I've used Windows since the mid 90s, and despite the best intentions, I just can't get into the Mac OS - it's too noddy, like Fisher Price or something.

I got a Mac Mini a few years ago, i5 8GB. It's OK, and is running Reaper and the prototype of Sonar (which is the DAW i use, and have used for donkey's). The mac runs really well, and it truly is plug and play, but I just don't like it.

think about the arse of having to familiarise yourself with another OS - they do work differently and I under estimated the impact of the overall different way things are organised and run in Mac OS vs Windows. Nothing is the same, and I find myself continually looking for stuff.

That's not saying one is better or worse, they are simply different and I for one could not be arsed learning another OS to a level in which I was competent and comfortable like I am with Windows.

Snap said:

@Phil_C if it were me, I would stay with Windows as that is what you are used to. I've used Windows since the mid 90s, and despite the best intentions, I just can't get into the Mac OS - it's too noddy, like Fisher Price or something.

I got a Mac Mini a few years ago, i5 8GB. It's OK, and is running Reaper and the prototype of Sonar (which is the DAW i use, and have used for donkey's). The mac runs really well, and it truly is plug and play, but I just don't like it.

think about the arse of having to familiarise yourself with another OS - they do work differently and I under estimated the impact of the overall different way things are organised and run in Mac OS vs Windows. Nothing is the same, and I find myself continually looking for stuff.

That's not saying one is better or worse, they are simply different and I for one could not be arsed learning another OS to a level in which I was competent and comfortable like I am with Windows.

Yeah I was actually pondering about that the other day, I can sort out anything Windows in a couple of seconds with a few short cuts or cmd commands. Apple will be a different beast!

I just like the idea of it being extremely quick and smooth. 

I've just had a £850 vet bill anyway so it's on hold at the moment :(
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    @Phil_C on the back of this thread, yesterday I had a good do at using the MacMini and Sonar to do a track. It's good but the lack of a right click menu, after 20 odd years of using Windows just really started to bug me after a while. I know it's down to familiarity and I am sure that given time I'd get used to the different OS and probably actually like it, BUT I don't have the time really to do this.

Having said that, I am a bit tempted to get Logic to have a go at it, given that it will work with the massive amount of software I've accumulated over the years. I reckon the i5 mac would run it OK too. Something to think about I suppose.

• Snap said:
    @Phil_C on the back of this thread, yesterday I had a good do at using the MacMini and Sonar to do a track. It's good but the lack of a right click menu, after 20 odd years of using Windows just really started to bug me after a while. I know it's down to familiarity and I am sure that given time I'd get used to the different OS and probably actually like it, BUT I don't have the time really to do this.

Having said that, I am a bit tempted to get Logic to have a go at it, given that it will work with the massive amount of software I've accumulated over the years. I reckon the i5 mac would run it OK too. Something to think about I suppose.

You can set up right click though in system preferences if you want to.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Anyone know if a mac mini would be portable? I would use it with presentations with a projector (screen), clicker pointer (mouse), external speakers (speakers), and could bring along a portable rubber keyboard for booting it up and opening the software. At home I could buy a nice large screen and the other accessories and plug it all once once I return. 
    Could be a hassle but could be a big saving too.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Phil_C said:
    Hi guys.

I've been toying with the idea of purchasing one of these devices in the future for my Scarlett Focusrite. 

I use a Windows laptop currently but it's getting quite old. Nothing wrong with it but it's an i5 processor and 8GB RAM. Editing music with Reaper is really processor intensive and pretty slow.

What would you guys recommend? I've used Apple before but 95% of my experience is with Windows computers.

Or would you stick with buying a better Windows system? 

Cheers.
    That should be OK, I have a core 2 duo macbook pro that manages just fine (albeit I don't go mad with plug ins).

Depending on what apple do with the pending macbook pro refresh with the better keyboard, I will either be getting one of them or a new macbook air with factory upgraded RAM, CPU and SSD. 

If the internet is to be believed, 2015 onwards year macbook pro machines have myriad issues with keyboards.
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    lukedlb said:
    Anyone know if a mac mini would be portable? I would use it with presentations with a projector (screen), clicker pointer (mouse), external speakers (speakers), and could bring along a portable rubber keyboard for booting it up and opening the software. At home I could buy a nice large screen and the other accessories and plug it all once once I return. 
    Could be a hassle but could be a big saving too.
    Yes of course, they are tiny and light. The pain in the arse would be unplugging and plugging peripherals every time you moved.