Boss MD500 or Strymon Mobius? What do you think?

PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
So I can feel the GAS rising for something modulationary... I need a flanger and chorus and rotary and crazy stuffs. I already have an MXR Phase 90.

FB experts, what should I get? Boss MD500 or Strymon Mobius? Or even something else...
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    I’ve had a mobius, H9 and now a MD500

They're all good tbh. Not sure why I sold the Möbius a few years back - probably GAS. I sold the H9 as I didn’t want to use the app etc however you don’t really need to but it is just easier. Moved to the MD500 as I can run two fx at the same time option. All of course I chose because the common denominator was they have midi and I use a switcher to change presets 

Hope it helps 
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10206
    I had a Mobius and I felt it lacked the quality of the other two big box Strymons but it was still pretty decent. I had the DD500 and RV500 too and I really felt that they didn't compare well with the Big Sky and Timeline so while I haven't used the MD500 I personally am not a fan of the series. 

I can only recommend the Mobius! 
  • Haven't used the MD-500 I'm afraid, but I love the Mobius for crazy stuff!

Bye!

• althyalthy Frets: 92
    Had both and both are great. The mobius can do pretty much everything the boss does and more 

Mobius: vintage trem sounds like an actual amp's trem,
     destroyer is the best sounding bit crusher i've played,
    quadrature is way deeper than boss's option and the midi controllable pre/post routing is LUSH. The chorus/ flanger/vibrato are gorgeous the rest is good.

On the other hand the md500 is unbeatable for classic CE sounds and can be made to sound exactly like the boss/roland units it is emulating.

I'd go for the mobius but be aware it sounds like the signal is more heavily filtered on it which could make it sound darker to some ears.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    I have a MD500  which I bought on a whim.  I'm sure its great, but I've spent 0 time on it so far...    PM if you would like it?

I also have a mobius which I've used for the last 3 years or so.  I could be persuaded to sell it as I'm sure I could get the md500 to cover it if I got off my backside!

Nowadays I’ve come to the conclusion that the average audience of an average day to day pub/club band aren’t able to tell the difference or even care - I still spend stupid money on stuff though sometimes but sometimes it’s worth it sometimes not though :( . So both of these units are great unless one is a cork sniffer of fx. Best is to try ‘em out and you’ll know if it’s for you or not. 
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    Thanks for comments so far, guys. I guess it's a luxury problem - I'm bored, I've got GAS and I want to try a new pedal that does modulation. I might be interested in s/h offers if the price was right.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    pm'd
    Philtre said:
    Thanks for comments so far, guys. I guess it's a luxury problem - I'm bored, I've got GAS and I want to try a new pedal that does modulation. I might be interested in s/h offers if the price was right.
    If you’re bored check out the revival drive trem and other offerings origin effects do. You’ll wish you hadn’t though lol 
  • I have had both of those and an H9.

I prefer the Wampler Terraform over those - really impressed.  Bonus is smaller form factor and minimal fiddling to get nice sounds.
  • Get a Roger Mayer Voodoo Vibe, TC Electronics SCF, big box 90’s Small Stone Phaser and a Toadworks Barracuda flanger

just do it 

go on....

you know you want to
  • PaulMHPaulMH Frets: 16
    Mobius all the way...using a Boss GT1000 also and tried a Helix and still find the Mobius sounds better to my ears, especially tremelo and rotary sounds
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    Some analog pedals instead - for modulation!
  • I have had both of those and an H9.

I prefer the Wampler Terraform over those - really impressed.  Bonus is smaller form factor and minimal fiddling to get nice sounds.
    how are you getting on with changing presets + doing tap tempo/ramp speed stuff for live use? 

I find the amount of tap dancing and tap holding on the 2nd switch slightly annoying in a live setting - but don't want to go midi
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • For rehearsal just manual fiddling and for live MIDI