Martins Brand New Body Shape!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Andy79 said:
    It sounds Taylor it looks very Taylor In design. Hats off to them for doing something different. I see Gibson’s effort is yet more vintage inspired J45s. This time from the 50s. Yawn. 
    They've not really done that before to the extent they have, it's Gibson's take on the Martin Authentic Series which is one of their successful lines.  It might not be that interesting but it's a sign Gibson's acoustics are going in the right direction.
    Kalimna said:

What's wrong with bolt on acoustic necks? Easier to build, easier to repair (should it be necessary), just as 'strong' and sound as good as a dovetail.

Adam

There's nothing wrong with bolt on necks.  Some of the finest makers use them, eg Collings and Bourgeious, the latter have one of the best neck set joints of any guitars.  I really hope their partnership with Eastman produces a guitar with the same neck joint for under a £1k.  I'd buy in a heartbeat if they did.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Andy79 said:
    It sounds Taylor it looks very Taylor In design. Hats off to them for doing something different. I see Gibson’s effort is yet more vintage inspired J45s. This time from the 50s. Yawn. 
    They've not really done that before to the extent they have, it's Gibson's take on the Martin Authentic Series which is one of their successful lines.  It might not be that interesting but it's a sign Gibson's acoustics are going in the right direction.
    Kalimna said:

What's wrong with bolt on acoustic necks? Easier to build, easier to repair (should it be necessary), just as 'strong' and sound as good as a dovetail.

Adam

There's nothing wrong with bolt on necks.  Some of the finest makers use them, eg Collings and Bourgeious, the latter have one of the best neck set joints of any guitars.  I really hope their partnership with Eastman produces a guitar with the same neck joint for under a £1k.  I'd buy in a heartbeat if they did.

That's what I thought - and I'll add Cumpiano to the list too :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Its not a bolt on neck.. Its a sliding dove tail joint... 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rabs said:

From the article above

"The neck block is exclusive to the SC design. It is made from a large block of solid African sipo, meticulously carved to accommodate the 4mm two-way adjustable neck rod and the components of the Linear Dovetail mechanism, which is made from a lightweight metal, probably some sort of aluminum alloy. The neck has a metal shaft that fits onto a movable metal tongue, which is tightened via two bolts, one of which is accessed through a small but rather decorative-looking port on the back (requiring a long slender tool designed to reach all the way up to the neck joint.)"

Tbh, I don't really understand the technicalities of what the neck joint actually involve, but it seems different to their traditional M&T, Dovetail joints they usually use.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Rabs said:

From the article above

"The neck block is exclusive to the SC design. It is made from a large block of solid African sipo, meticulously carved to accommodate the 4mm two-way adjustable neck rod and the components of the Linear Dovetail mechanism, which is made from a lightweight metal, probably some sort of aluminum alloy. The neck has a metal shaft that fits onto a movable metal tongue, which is tightened via two bolts, one of which is accessed through a small but rather decorative-looking port on the back (requiring a long slender tool designed to reach all the way up to the neck joint.)"

Tbh, I don't really understand the technicalities of what the neck joint actually involve, but it seems different to their traditional M&T, Dovetail joints they usually use.

Go play one once they are in the UK shops, and see how it sounds.

If it sounds good, and you like the 1 3/4" nut and body shape, then fine.  If it sounds horrible, then avoid it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1412
    edited January 2020
    ICBM said:
    The biggest shock is the price - I was expecting double that. I’m very keen to try one when they get over here.
    £1600. More than I would expect for a laminated wood Mexican made Martin. They are usually sub-£1200, especially ones which sound as shite as this particular one.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    ICBM said:
    The biggest shock is the price - I was expecting double that. I’m very keen to try one when they get over here.
    £1600. More than I would expect for a Mexican made Martin. They are usually sub-£1200, especially ones with laminated back and sides.
    You mean an exquisite veneer of quality Hawaiian Koa.....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    ICBM said:
    £1600. More than I would expect for a laminated wood Mexican made Martin. They are usually sub-£1200, especially ones which sound as shite as this particular one.

That will come down a bit.  When they are pre-order and no-one has any in stock, they will be more expensive.

Once they have been out a while, and everyone has them in stock, they will be £1549 if not £1499.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1374
    stray thoughts:
    -the phrase "sweat equity" made me gag
    -guy with the hoody seems to be actively disrupting tweed guys pitch? and really distracted? 
    -seems like some worthwhile innovation at long last, but who's playing acoustic up at the 17th fret? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Rabs said:

From the article above

Well I don't work for them or anything so I don't know for sure but I would imagine its something like this.
    https://i.imgur.com/xGSpSjb.png

The bolts on the back will then tighten the joint with a metal plate I think they said.. The idea being you can actually change the scale length of the neck easy peasy.

On an electric guitar this is an example. So it slots in to the body.
    https://i.imgur.com/XhLvLQo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PJI4bdr.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KOEzSRL.jpg

Something like that I assume.. I think as long as its a reliable mechanism its a great idea.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @Rabs A great and very informative reply, but I am ashamed to say it completely flew over my head.

Thanks for the info though, I think I have vague idea to how it roughly might work though.