Tips on trying out guitars

What's Hot
has anyone got any tips for trying out guitars?

how do you test the excellent to the good to the bad?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

•  Before plugging it in (if it's an electric of course), strum a big E chord, then a G.  At this point, many have been put back on the shelf.

Have a noodle around without plugging in, see if you like the feel of the guitar and how it reacts to you.  Then when you plug it in, keep it clean for a while, see how the pickups sound without drive, delay or any of the other things that can mask the base sounds.

After that, it's all over to your ears/hands.

Try as many as you can and eventually the cream will rise to the top.  Plus you will have a better idea of what you like.

More importantly ignore everything anyone else ever tells you, you'll find your way. ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    edited January 2020
    Try a few other guitars at the same time so that you have something to compare against.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • Shake it a bit to see if there's anything not secured (such as preamp wiring).
    Press down on each fret on each string to see if there are any high frets.
    Run your fingers down the fret ends to check for sharp ends.
    Check what method is used to change the battery (screwdrivers are annoying)
    Check second hand prices on eBay (this can tell you about supply/demand, reliability, user experience etc) 
    Search on forums such as this for opinions 

But probably most important, have a clear idea of what you want before you go in so you can fully evaluate your experiences. 
  • Have a piece you play every time , useful shape is using  two fingers one on the a string 7th fret and. D string 9th fret (e something) and strum all the strings to hear how it sounds , you can then move that shape around still strumming all the strings to give you a good idea of its sound
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629

Before plugging it in (if it's an electric of course), strum a big E chord, then a G.  At this point, many have been put back on the shelf.

This is a myth. I've had a number of guitars that sounded 'dead' acoustically but phenomenal when amplified.
  • Brize said:

Before plugging it in (if it's an electric of course), strum a big E chord, then a G.  At this point, many have been put back on the shelf.

This is a myth. I've had a number of guitars that sounded 'dead' acoustically but phenomenal when amplified.
    My maton is this 
  • How would you know if a guitar sounds good when amplified?

lowden owners.... can you get a good live sound? As there so many overtones and can be boomy are they hard to amplify?

i have seen Thomas Leeb and Jon Gomm live and they have an ok live sound. Very airy but big sound. Lowden O size.

Tommy Emmanuel Guitar tone live is great.

matons do sound great live but not great unplugged.

what body shape and brand can do both?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 714
    How would you know if a guitar sounds good when amplified?

lowden owners.... can you get a good live sound? As there so many overtones and can be boomy are they hard to amplify?

i have seen Thomas Leeb and Jon Gomm live and they have an ok live sound. Very airy but big sound. Lowden O size.

Plug it in? 

Lowden O sound, as you said, big, airy, lots of overtones. Maybe look at an F? They’re more focused. I’ve not found them boomy. Acoustic guitars are hard to amplify no matter the brand or shape/size. 

I can’t stand listening to ANY acoustic plugged in to be honest. They just sound shite. Mic one and record it, all is good with the world. I get that the choice of pick up etc is key, but in general I just can’t get on with the tone plugged in. if it’s a live acoustic recording, I just don’t bother anymore. 

I’m not mad keen on Tommy Emmanuels tone in anything I’ve ever listened to to be honest. Amazing player for sure though. Maybe that’s just me. 

Find something you love acoustically, then work out how to get it sounding as best you can amplified. It’s always going to be a compromise. 

At the end of the day nothing matters other than finding one you love to play that inspires you and you can’t put down. You’ll know it when you pick it up. Trust yourself, don’t listen to anyone else’s point of view, don’t be narrow minded, don’t judge it from reviews or YouTube videos. try anything and everything despite your pre conceived opinions (something I need to do!)

Personally, I couldn’t get on with just one guitar. Acoustic or electric. I’ve gone wrong so many times by trying to find the one. There isn’t one guitar to do it all. If you like Lowden, and have to have only one guitar, the F is a better bum choice than the O or S. the Wee just sound like a box as far as I can tell. 

I’ve also finally worked out it doesn’t matter what your piers play. I’m not anyone but myself, I sound like me no matter what I play. So I’m best finding something that makes me WANT to play all the time. Oh, and don’t dismiss looks, they’re important! 
  • brucegill said:
    How would you know if a guitar sounds good when amplified?

Plug it in? 

Lowden O sound, as you said, big, airy, lots of overtones. Maybe look at an F? They’re more focused. I’ve not found them boomy. Acoustic guitars are hard to amplify no matter the brand or shape/size. 

I can’t stand listening to ANY acoustic plugged in to be honest. They just sound shite. Mic one and record it, all is good with the world. I get that the choice of pick up etc is key, but in general I just can’t get on with the tone plugged in. if it’s a live acoustic recording, I just don’t bother anymore. 

I’m not mad keen on Tommy Emmanuels tone in anything I’ve ever listened to to be honest. Amazing player for sure though. Maybe that’s just me. 

Find something you love acoustically, then work out how to get it sounding as best you can amplified. It’s always going to be a compromise. 

At the end of the day nothing matters other than finding one you love to play that inspires you and you can’t put down. You’ll know it when you pick it up. Trust yourself, don’t listen to anyone else’s point of view, don’t be narrow minded, don’t judge it from reviews or YouTube videos. try anything and everything despite your pre conceived opinions (something I need to do!)

Personally, I couldn’t get on with just one guitar. Acoustic or electric. I’ve gone wrong so many times by trying to find the one. There isn’t one guitar to do it all. If you like Lowden, and have to have only one guitar, the F is a better bum choice than the O or S. the Wee just sound like a box as far as I can tell. 

I’ve also finally worked out it doesn’t matter what your piers play. I’m not anyone but myself, I sound like me no matter what I play. So I’m best finding something that makes me WANT to play all the time. Oh, and don’t dismiss looks, they’re important! 
    Thanks @brucegill this is great advice. Makes perfect sense, I do need to be more open minded and spend more time trying guitars out then looking for an answer on the net.

its great to get advice but yes your right you are you and no one else can choice your guitar for you
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Weight is a huge factor for me. I love love love the tone of my old Yam FG300 but it was too heavy. 
    I have a Sigma J45 copy and it’s lighter than a J45. One of the reasons I prefer it to the J
    also balance. Again, I have a Faith 12 fret dread. Sounds great but the neck out weighs the body and bugs the shit out of me.
    2 big factors before I play a note
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    Brize said:

some guitars are intentionally built with stiffer bracing to suppress feedback, and sound less responsive acoustically, so this idea is definitely not applicable to all situations

@CountryDave Even with guitars that sound OK acoustically, how do you know that always translates to sounding good through a pickup?

• @CountryDave Even with guitars that sound OK acoustically, how do you know that always translates to sounding good through a pickup?

@ToneControl you don't. But my experience, and preference is for more resonant electrics.
    I've found that, for my tastes, a dead sounding guitar rarely inspires me to pick it up.
    Also with electrics, pickups can be changed to taste.

As for acoustics. It all depends on what you're planning to use it for. Many stage/electro acoustics are built to reduce feedback, so will be leas resonant.
  • @CountryDave Even with guitars that sound OK acoustically, how do you know that always translates to sounding good through a pickup?

@ToneControl you don't. But my experience, and preference is for more resonant electrics.
    I've found that, for my tastes, a dead sounding guitar rarely inspires me to pick it up.
    Also with electrics, pickups can be changed to taste.

As for acoustics. It all depends on what you're planning to use it for. Many stage/electro acoustics are built to reduce feedback, so will be leas resonant.
    This makes sense to me as the way the guitar feels at your hands and belly impacts how you might play it. 
  • This was what i did last week...took present acoustic to the shop as "reference" - asked assistant to keep handing me guitars until i found several that felt and sounded better than the reference model - refined to 3 guitars - went back yesterday and picked the best of the 3 - paid large (to me ) bill - took guitar home
  • This was what i did last week...took present acoustic to the shop as "reference" - asked assistant to keep handing me guitars until i found several that felt and sounded better than the reference model - refined to 3 guitars - went back yesterday and picked the best of the 3 - paid large (to me ) bill - took guitar home
    just to add - final test was to just check through an amp - sounded great
  • Just an idea that I'll be trying sometime quite soon....  If you're running your acoustic into a PA or onstage amp and want to know what it sounds like to an audience, I find the normal volume of the guitar in the room gets in the way. I'm going to use a looper as the sound source for the PA/amp so I can listen to just the amplified sound of my guitar pickup. I've got a FlyRig Acoustic for open mics that needs tuning in properly.

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    edited January 2020
    For me, it is the following;

1. Does it ring out acoustically (especially if it is electric) ?

2. Is it in tune ? Does it stay in tune ?

3. Do I like the feel of it ?

4. Am I inspired on it - do I play new stuff when I pick it up ?

Finally,

Do I like it or do I love it ?
  • my routine for checking out acoustics 

1) and a deal breaker , saddle. How much is left, what's the action like? Can it be lowered and by how much?
    2) Check condition of nut and bridge.
    3) Check string alignment- it's hard to move acoustic bridges
    4) Check fret edges
    5) If all good, I'll tune it up, check intonation at 2nd, 3rd, 7th and 12th frets
    6) Play it to check for fret buzz

not many get this far.