Tradition is hard to change - musicians are creatures of habit

What's Hot
Fender was quite prescient back in 1988 but pitched it nonetheless:

'Creating a new standard of pickup technology'.....we know how that's turned out!!!

Lave-Page-1-Image-0001 Lave-Page-4-Image-0001 Lave-Page-3-Image-0001 Lave-Page-2-Image-0001
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I actually feel less informed about lace sensor pickups now than I was before reading that: All I knew about them was that they were expensive pickups that came in fancy guitars that I can't afford.Is there more to it than that?

That's like the marketing team got stoned with a physics student and just asked him to dictate jargon to them. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14432
    Long story short, somebody attempted to engineer out almost everything that was fun about a traditional Fender pickup.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Not sure they were the worse thing in the world my mate brought a Strat Plus and back then they seemed like a good idea and I never really felt he had a bad sound but then it was awash with reverb, chorus and a load of rack-mounted stuff LOL.

The other thing was it got you a quiet strat which back in the days of playing venues where stage lighting was two 6ft fluorescent tubes a quiet strat was a welcome thing.

But then I also like EMG 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12666
    Not a bad sounding pickup at all. They just sound different to a vintage style one. Not better, not worse, just different.

Oh and I *love* EMGs too...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6692
    Whoever wrote the ad copy for that went on to write the made up science bit in shampoo adverts. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • trademarks everywhere!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited January 2020
    The pickup is fine its the guitar players who are problem, stuck in the 50s.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24806
    I have a couple of Gold Lace Sensors in my Strat which is set up for slide. I like them - and as I’ve said before - I think Eric Clapton’s tone was better when his signature Strats were fitted with them.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    soma1975 said:
    Whoever wrote the ad copy for that went on to write the made up science bit in shampoo adverts. 
    Wait, are you trying to say Laboratoire Garnier isn't a respected world leading research facility?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 523
    I have quite liked the strats that I have played which have had lace sensors, never owned one though.
    Don't touch that dial.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Billy Corgan put them to good use. :)

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Some players sound great with them. Personally I can't get past the horrible look. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve owned a couple of strat plus guitars with them and quite liked them. the guitars themselves tend to be a bit on the heavy side though
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    I've played a couple of EC signature strats with gold Lace sensors and I actually enjoyed the tones. But yes not your traditional fender pickups at all.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    edited January 2020
    Sassafras said:
    soma1975 said:
    Wait, are you trying to say Laboratoire Garnier isn't a respected world leading research facility?
    Definitely not. They conducted a survey which showed that 100% of people* think that it is world leading.
    * actually they only asked 1 person, but nobody ever reads this bit anyway. 

Back on topic - I guess this was all before Abby Ybarra pickups became a thing.
  • They are still making Lace Sensors 32 years later so they must be selling them to people; they're vintage technology themselves now!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18776
    I like the description of the 2000 FLS . 'The Golden Strat mused on the Fender Strat Plus, the legendary 1950's Strat sound.'
    Might be a typo, but its a candidate for Pseuds corner  ;)

Lave-Page-2-Image-0001
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Love Lace pickups, fitted the Holy Grail set to my strat and they sound utterly fab.  So there :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    A Blue FLS at the Neck position is bloody marvellous !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22866
    Jalapeno said:
    A Blue FLS at the Neck position is bloody marvellous !
    When I had my Strat Plus Deluxe, I updated it to red in the bridge and blue at the neck, but I actually preferred the original configuration with blue at the bridge and silver at the neck.