1 Tone 1 vol control question

I have a charvel guitar I want to modify but I have not a clue if it can be done, I would appreciate any help on the subject
The guitar is a Charvel san dimas it has 1 vol and a three way toggle switch and 2 humbuckers.
I would like to add a tone control so that it is just 1 vol 1 tone and the switch but I only want the tone control to work on the neck pickup. is it possible to do this ?? 
I put peoples heads in horse's beds

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Yes, easy - just wire the tone control to the neck pickup connection on the switch instead of to the volume control.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• kipplekipple Frets: 354
    Ok Thanks very much.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27604
    kipple said:

The guitar is a Charvel san dimas it has 1 vol and a three way toggle switch and 2 humbuckers.
    I would like to add a tone control so that it is just 1 vol 1 tone and the switch 
    I know nothing of the Charvel san dimas - but do you mean that it currently only has the 1 pot and 1 switch, and that you want to add another pot to act as a tone control?

If so;
    1.  Is there room in the control cavity for the extra pot
    2.  Are you happy drilling into the body to fit the pot

If not;
    Ignore the above Qs!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14455
    edited January 2020
    ICBM said:
    wire the tone control to the neck pickup connection on the switch instead of to the volume control.
    This will, of course, allow the tone control to act on the "both" position of the sprung leaf selector switch. 

Having the treble roll off pot operate only on one pickup requires a more complex selector switch. i.e. 4P3T on/on/on. Two poles do the pickup selecting. A third makes the connection to the tone pot.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    ICBM said:
    wire the tone control to the neck pickup connection on the switch instead of to the volume control.
    This will, of course, allow the tone control to act on the "both" position of the sprung leaf selector switch. 

Having the treble roll off pot operate only on one pickup requires a more complex selector switch. i.e. 4P3T on/on/on. Two poles do the pickup selecting. A third makes the connection to the tone pot.
    The switch is not a spring leaf it is a 3 way toggle

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    edited January 2020
    Funkfingers said:

You could do that with a 3-pickup Les Paul Custom switch. (Actually SG Custom, given the available depth in the body.) Use the 'standard' side of the switch for the neck pickup and the 'changeover' side to select between the bridge pickup and the tone control - then the tone control will only be connected when the bridge pickup isn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited February 2020
    I got someone.. Dave Dearnaley to add the tone control for me.. It has worked very nicely.
    He used the stock 3 way toggle and added an extra pot. So the guitar has tone on just the neck pickup. Not sure how he did it but I'm glad he did. I wish I had got it done years ago. I like being able to keep the tone off and switch from bridge with full tone straight to neck with tone off. First time I have been able to do this on a charvel pro mod and it's a great improvement as I don't really like the neck pick up without the tone rolled back 

kipple said:
    Dave Dearnaley ... has worked very nicely.
    Goes without saying.  :)
    kipple said:
    Dave Dearnaley ... has worked very nicely.
    Goes without saying.  :)
    You obviously know Dave then. Have you seen any of his recent acoustic builds. 
    They are absolutely amazing.
    I tried out 2 of them recently, one had a Ebony fretboard and the other had a Brazilian fretboard. They were both incredibly nice but the Ebony fretboard one just gobsmacked my ears. I cannot raise the cash for one right now but would love to have one. 

No but, since 1996, I have owned an “S” type neck made by him.