Carbon fibre

Does anyone use carbon fibre rods in their neck builds? I'm contemplating building a fat neck with one instead of a truss rod. Obviously there is no option to set relief, but I like a straight neck anyway.
www.theflyingacesband.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    edited January 2020
    Lots of people use them with a truss rod, for a super-stiff stable neck. Doing without the truss rod may work fine, but personally I wouldn't take the risk.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3301
    tFB Trader
    I'd always have a truss rod personally, I'll be putting 2 CF rods in a neck with a 2 way rod
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8763
    Rods help neck stiffness, which has an effect on tone and sustain. However I’d hate to have to make a neck with built-in relief. I’d rather use a truss rod for that.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    edited January 2020
    Vigier do that with their guitars.
     I‘ve had an Excalibur for a long time but never actually measured whether the neck has any relief or whether the heel has a slight angle, or whether the frets are levelled with built in relief.
    Be aware that it has a very particular sound, that personally I don’t care for. It’s very bright but not in a pleasant way, IMO, and I’m someone who likes bright guitars.
  • MattNovakMattNovak Frets: 907
    Thanks for the comments and opinions. If I experiment, I shall provide my results!
    www.theflyingacesband.com
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    I think @WezV used carbon fibre rods  as well as truss rods on some of his necks ... he might reappear to confirm.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16793
    I would use with a truss rod with CF bars either side

don't see any benefit in excluding the truss rod, modern styles are no more difficult to install than a plain rod.  I hate the idea of having no adjustability and being at the will of nature to how well the guitar is set up