12 string electric

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I bought my 340 new in 1989 for £650 - in 2020 money that's £1,627 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 582
    edited February 2020
    Sooooo, I got one. A D'Angelico Premier DC 12-String. I should probably do a NGD post but I can't be arsed.

Anyway, first impressions:
     - It's not light, but not mad heavy either 
     - once you get the f*&ker in tune, it stays there! I've already rehearsed with it and it was rock solid.
     - it's easier to play then i imagined
     - the pups - Duncan designed and I assumes ceramic - are grand. Plenty of jangle and clarify.
     - it's pretty well put together, though some of the finishing is a little rough (marks on the binding, lining off the f holes) but nothing that would bother me. Might bother some else mind.
     - the colour is really nicely applied. Nothing cheap about it. 
     - the Ovangkol fret-board is lovely and dark, and the inlays are neatly applied
     - I 100% did not need this guitar, but at €499 it seems great value. The gig bag is plenty sturdy too.

Been jamming Hole Hearted. Need to find other cool 12 string songs to learn!

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks great, congratulations.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2293
    tbm said:
    Sooooo, I got one. A D'Angelico Premier DC 12-String. I should probably do a NGD post but I can't be arsed.

Anyway, first impressions:
     - It's not light, but not mad heavy either 
     - once you get the f*&ker in tune, it stays there! I've already rehearsed with it and it was rock solid.
     - it's easier to play then i imagined
     - the pups - Duncan designed and I assumes ceramic - are grand. Plenty of jangle and clarify.
     - it's pretty well put together, though some of the finishing is a little rough (marks on the binding, lining off the f holes) but nothing that would bother me. Might bother some else mind.
     - the colour is really nicely applied. Nothing cheap about it. 
     - the Ovangkol fret-board is lovely and dark, and the inlays are neatly applied
     - I 100% did not need this guitar, but at €499 it seems great value. The gig bag is plenty sturdy too.

Been jamming Hole Hearted. Need to find other cool 12 string songs to learn!
    That looks lush! Nice contrast to the cat.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    viz said:
    I have an 18-string one which I haul out for Hotel C, Bon Jovi etc
    You Show -off you ;)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    Coda have a 12 string Taylor T5 secondhand .......I can actually see this being the perfect chassis for 12 strings somewhere between electric  and acoustic and able to do both .
    I would much prefer this to a Ricky.
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    Dominic said:
    Coda have a 12 string Taylor T5 secondhand .......I can actually see this being the perfect chassis for 12 strings somewhere between electric  and acoustic and able to do both .
    I would much prefer this to a Ricky.
    I found the T5 a funny beast.  It's a neat size and very well put together although I thought the neck felt a bit flimsy especially with the 12 strings on it - it felt if I were to donk the headstock slightly the neck would whiplash off.  I found the electric sound pretty good, but the acoustic sound only OK; probably fair for something trying to do two jobs.
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    Burns Double six... good enough for Elvis!!
    I got my greenburst for £27 back in 1974, it's in bits now and I bet the Tri-Sonics are worth a few bob.
    The string spacing on them is great and I had a luthier ( Jimmy Moon) make me up an individual 12 string tunomatic bridge which did the trick re intonation but I never bothered with the 3rd octave string I just paired up the strings in unison ( less breakages).
  • I have exactly the same cat 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I have exactly the same cat 

Well Cheesy Bumps was created in the Fujigen plant so he’s clearly a better cat then yours. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Linus was hand wired in Mottingham SE London, he is the coolest cat in town. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom