Ibanez RG for blues/rock/pop?

What's Hot
Thinking of getting one of these cos of the tuning stability of a Floyd but am I going to look out of place?

We play pop, country & blues in the main and I’m no spring chicken anymore; yay or nay?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited January 2020
    All day long.

Mine is an '02 in Metallic Black with a rosewood board and now fitted with EMG's. It's got a purple mirrored guard and dot markers (it's an 'EX' model) and powder blue Edge tremolo and hardware.

I'm in my late 40's and don't really care how it looks (I also have sparkly white Explorer!) but it doesn't look as garish as some Ibanez models can.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Its rock n roll man, do what ya want! 

Theres something about floyds though when doing unison or oblique bends and it not sounding in tune.. but I canny remember what it is exactly.. might be worth looking into if you do it a lot with yer blues.. 

Though Kirk Hammett does it in abundance so cant be that much of an issue. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited January 2020
    Aesthetics are personal so I’ll not comment, but - as above - the Floyd doesn’t work for country bending very well due to the problem of all the strings going flat when you bend just one. So country-style multi-string licks with bends are out of tune enough to sound bad. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2041
    edited January 2020
    A Bigsby doesn’t seem to have the same problem, so just find an RG with a Bigsby :)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4099
    With a floyd there's generally a couple of points to note:

When you bend one string,  all the other strings drop in pitch so all those blues double stop licks will sound bad.  Eventually it gets annoying. 

If you break a string mid song you have to stop as all the other strings go wildly out of tune and also it takes ages to re string after. 

Whilst they may stay in tune in the same environment well, moving from warm house to cold car to sweaty pub will make it go out of tune and they can be a right pfaff to retune in a hurry. 

• sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    I have one at 52 that does everything from Duran Duran to Steve Earle. Picked it up cheap on ebay as something to mess about with but its used for half the set ( fitted new springs and a trem stop so it stays in tune the whole gig
  • If you're not going to use the trem you could block it and still have the tuning stability of the double locking?
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    edited January 2020
    "Country" wasn't in the title and I'm too tired to have read the OP properly.
    My apologies I didn't see the inclusion of that in the text and yes, @Modellista is right it won't work well for country.

Tremol-no is said to work well by those I know who have one and I've tried one on a friend's Vigier which worked very well for me.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592
    I think we're all a bit guilty of assuming the style of guitar we're playing will make us play a certain way, but actually it only ever hints at it without forcing us to.

Yes, you can play all that stuff on an RG, in fact Steve Vai has some of the tastiest blues phrasing around when he wants to and could've easily made a living doing only that if he'd felt like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    p90fool said:
    I think we're all a bit guilty of assuming the style of guitar we're playing will make us play a certain way, but actually it only ever hints at it without forcing us to.

Yes, you can play all that stuff on an RG, in fact Steve Vai has some of the tastiest blues phrasing around when he wants to and could've easily made a living doing only that if he'd felt like it.
    Yes, they’re really flexible guitars, go for it. The double-stopping tuning issue is easy to overcome by bending the upper string a bit too - it becomes totally natural and causes no issues if you can bend in tune. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Might give one a go I think. 

Also knock up a couple of pre-wired pickguards (HSH, HH, HSS) to swap around as the mood takes me. 
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    There was a Jap made 507 for sale on here for less than £250. I have the same guitar
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    I play in an alt rock/shoe gazing band and our singer plays a Ibanez RG2550z. It’s replaced both his Jaguar and his Les Paul as a live all rounder. 

I think I’m the post everything world, pointy guitars are quite fashionable. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    jeztone2 said:
    I play in an alt rock/shoe gazing band and our singer plays a Ibanez RG2550z. It’s replaced both his Jaguar and his Les Paul as a live all rounder. 

I think I’m the post everything world, pointy guitars are quite fashionable. 
    Yeah if you look at what’s “on trend” from NAMM, 80s style guitars have made a comeback. They look cool and are easy to play. The only downside is the double stop bend tuning issue, that’s for sure.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72364
    TINMAN82 said:

The only downside is the double stop bend tuning issue, that’s for sure.
    If it is an issue and you don't want to compensate as Viz described, you can always fix it by adding a backstop to the trem and setting the springs just tight enough to prevent the bridge moving with bends. You'll still be able to use the arm for down-bends.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    There's a guy in a busking duo in Sheffield that plays Jazz on one and he sounds great.....
  • normula1 said:
    There's a guy in a busking duo in Sheffield that plays Jazz on one and he sounds great.....

I think I've mentioned on here before that when I bought my Charvel Spectrum the seller told me about a guy he knew who played a bright orange one strung with flatwounds in a jazz band :)

Personally, I think the RG is the ultimate all-rounder - both in terms of sounds and looks.

And tbh, the sort of person who comes up to you after a gig to berate your guitar ("couldn't afford a real Gibson then?" and "nice playing, shame about your fucking turquoise guitar" are the two that stick in my mind) are the sort of people I wouldn't really be wanting to have a conversation with anyway...
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    normula1 said:

I think I've mentioned on here before that when I bought my Charvel Spectrum the seller told me about a guy he knew who played a bright orange one strung with flatwounds in a jazz band :)

Personally, I think the RG is the ultimate all-rounder - both in terms of sounds and looks.

And tbh, the sort of person who comes up to you after a gig to berate your guitar ("couldn't afford a real Gibson then?" and "nice playing, shame about your fucking turquoise guitar" are the two that stick in my mind) are the sort of people I wouldn't really be wanting to have a conversation with anyway...
    Exactly. I remember in my early 20’s getting a Digitech RP-1 in 1992 & some twat came up to me after a gig & asked if I could play without the big NASA box on the floor. So I pulled my guitar out and said “let’s jam!” and he ran off. 
  • Within reason you can play anything on anything. 

I play old school punk on my RG including neon colored Pickups. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    ICBM said:
    TINMAN82 said:

The only downside is the double stop bend tuning issue, that’s for sure.
    If it is an issue and you don't want to compensate as Viz described, you can always fix it by adding a backstop to the trem and setting the springs just tight enough to prevent the bridge moving with bends. You'll still be able to use the arm for down-bends.
    Wouldn’t do it on my Jem but tempted to get a second Floyd equipped guitar for that.