Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Parking fine from B&Q car park

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    If it's a parking charge notice & not a 'fine' (which only councils & police can issue) .apparently is unenforceable, I got one a few years ago from an car park adjacent to an asda which appeared to be part of the store's grounds (& I suspect the PCN company played on the ambiguity)

Apparently if you appeal you 'admit' you were parking in the wrong & are indeed only appealing to the company's 'better nature' (which they probably won't have) & if you respond to their letters you're also 'admitting' liability

I sent an empty envelope via recorded delivery to the appeals dept listed on the ticket so if it did go to county court I could claim I appealed & it was ignored, the ignored all further correspondence from them.

I was sent 3 or 4 increasingly threatening letters but didn't reply, & eventually they stopped.

It's a bullying scam & the business model is coercing payment through fear, I don't like bullies & refused to pay, I refused to entertain them full stop.

How you proceed is up to you & I'm not a solicitor or have any legal advice credentials
    Wrong. A high court ruling has confirmed that they are legally enforceable.

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/03/britains-biggest-parking-fine-motorist-told-must-pay-24500-ignored/

Wrong: The error was in ignoring them and letting it go to court.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10424
    Thanks a lot for the input everyone. I'm going to visit b&q tomorrow to see what they can do, if they can't I'll just pay. I think it's pretty disgusting, but I can see why they do it
    It's not B&Q it's the Pompey Centre that manages the car park, David Deacon is the centre's manager. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14474
    If you still have the receipt(s) for your B&Q purchases on that day, return them to the store, explaining that you need the refund to pay for the parking "fine." Be sure to do this LOUDLY AND CONSPICUOUSLY at the customer service desk.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Thanks a lot for the input everyone. I'm going to visit b&q tomorrow to see what they can do, if they can't I'll just pay. I think it's pretty disgusting, but I can see why they do it
    Indeed. If everyone decided to fit a carpet in their cars there'd be no spaces for shoppers  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If it's a parking charge notice & not a 'fine' (which only councils & police can issue) .apparently is unenforceable, I got one a few years ago from an car park adjacent to an asda which appeared to be part of the store's grounds (& I suspect the PCN company played on the ambiguity)

Apparently if you appeal you 'admit' you were parking in the wrong & are indeed only appealing to the company's 'better nature' (which they probably won't have) & if you respond to their letters you're also 'admitting' liability

I sent an empty envelope via recorded delivery to the appeals dept listed on the ticket so if it did go to county court I could claim I appealed & it was ignored, then ignored all further correspondence from them.

I was sent 3 or 4 increasingly threatening letters but didn't reply, & eventually they stopped.

It's a bullying scam & the business model is coercing payment through fear, I don't like bullies & refused to pay, I refused to entertain them full stop.

How you proceed is up to you & I'm not a solicitor or have any legal advice credentials
    Lying to the court is perjury.

Can get prison time for that. 
    Thankfully capital punishment was abolished a long time ago, 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    edited January 2020
    These scammers make me not want to go to the shops; when you hear about the death of the high street and all that, there's cause and effect...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Is there some reason you couldn't open your haberdashery on your own fucking driveway?

Bye!

• No idea what you're on about
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Is there some reason you couldn't open your haberdashery on your own fucking driveway?
    Is there some reason you have to be such an arse all the time?

OP, did you get anywhere with this? Just wondering if you could use the fact that your ex didn't send on the letters as at least an excuse, and see if they'll reduce the charge or somehing?
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5654
    edited February 2020

"My" local Waitrose has a carpark managed by NCP.  There's a two hour free parking limit after which you are required to pay. 

Lots of local folk have been caught out by popping in for a paper and a coffee in the morning, say, and then returning later in the day for a bit more shopping.  Despite being there well under the two hour limit, because the two visits span a period of over two hours they end up with a parking charge notice from NCP a few days later.  It's been a hot topic of the local Facebook community page for months.

Very few actually pay the charge, as explaining the circumstances to NCP seems to invoke some sort of leniency, if not understanding - I guess the sheer volume of similar complaints makes the situation difficult to ignore, so NCP quash the charge.

Not sure if this is a possible angle you could use.  Popped in for a few things, got home realised I forgot something so went back later in the day and ended up with a charge notice for my trouble.  Not sure if ANPR makes that difficult but I'm sure the local NCP at Waitrose also use ANPR and it still issues charge notices in the circumstances above.

Personally, if it were me I'd try appealing to their better nature and possibly try using extraordinary circumstances as a reason for overstay, if I could make up a feasible excuse, but if that failed then I'd probably write it off to experience, pay up and move on.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.