Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

'We buy any guitar' adverts on gumtree

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• tony99 said: cheeky sausage.
    That's one way of putting it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I feel a bit bad for saying this but I'm constantly amazed at people on Facebook who don't seem to be able to string a different sentence together, or don't seem to understand how messaging someone works - questions without a question mark, bad grammar or spelling, or just plain laziness, I'm not sure what the cause is. Perfect example: I had a couple of things on marketplace, one of them was around £30 and someone sent me a message that literally just said:

I assume they were offering me £20, but I didn't bother replying...

And if you list anything on one of the freecycle pages, fucking hell... :anguished: 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4936
    Gumtree's search is the crappiest of anything.
    I have bought one or two things via there, though.
    The placing of the featured ads is annoying; I know someone has paid for that, but I skim over them.
  • tony99 said:
    carlos said:
    tony99 said:
    carlos said:
    Best place to buy and sell is Facebook marketplace
    I've found the opposite lately, sold two on gumtree for my asking price, and had nothing but timewasters on FB

only got to get rid of one more anyway and I'm down to the two that are keepers !!
    Could location be important for this? I had my American Std Strat on Gumtree and Facebook and got zero replies in the former and nearly a dozen on the latter.
    Could be Carlos, who knows? Don't get me wrong, on FB I have no end of people enquiring but it's usually bizarre trades or rubbish offers, one guy offered me £285 for a USA strat just last week the cheeky sausage.
    Which will probably be one of the previously mentioned sellers that will then sell on at new prices.
  • i use to do ok with gumtree but the last year ive found#d it very slow, but could be im asking too much or the market is slow anyway, i dont really trade that much so not a representative sample.
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    Has anyone noticed these?

Gumtree has become a waste of time nowadays - just seems to be people with 40-80 guitars for sale or people advertising to buy any guitar, any brand model, with cash waiting. Email them with details. 
    I feel your pain mate and I know of the person you’re referring too. It boils my piss as it dominates almost all of it.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    edited February 2020
    For buying TFB & Ebay 
    For Selling Ebay, then FB & TFB

Facebook is limited to more local purchases (I did once paypal/postage for a pedal) so tends to have more vanilla gear like strats, LP copies and same as Gumtree is full of overpriced stuff. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14543
    Sassafras said:
    Why bother with Gumtree?
    @HarrySeven buys any guitar.
    Indeed. Well, *almost* any... ;)
    99% true.

Some, he does swaps for and some get donated to him.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    edited February 2020
    Sassafras said:
    Why bother with Gumtree?
    @HarrySeven buys any guitar.
    Indeed. Well, *almost* any...
    99% true.

Some, he does swaps for and some get donated to him.
    Wasn’t sure whether to LOL or Wiz that...went with a LOL in the end... :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    edited February 2020

I’m aware of the flipper mentioned in the OP - they’re local-ish to me. 

The bizarre thing is that in our ultra-connected, cross-platform online world, it’s not exactly rocket science-style detective work when tracing or piecing together things like an instrument’s recent ownership, the sales patterns of bedroom traders, etc, etc.

Firstly, a recent personal example of the above is when it was clearly evident that a particular guitar could be seen being traded/sold across numerous platforms (including here, but primarily Facebook groups/Marketplace). In the space of 3-4 months, it passed through the hands of at least 4, if not 5 serial flippers/bedroom dealers (some more notorious than others), fluctuating (but generally increasing - sometimes eye-wateringly) in price. It’s still for sale now...on multiple platforms, around £500 more than it started at.

Secondly, (talking about “sh*tting in your own back yard”) do the aforementioned flippers/dealers think that no-one knows, notices or can spot this? Guitars/amps whatever are regularly advertised for sale, sold, then immediately reappear - on the same sites - with either:

a. The same pics/description (cheeky/lazy)

or

b. New pics and vastly embroidered/extended description (which of course doesn’t refer to the previous FS ad).

In both cases, it’s obviously accompanied by a varying scale of often over-ambitious mark-up.

Jeez...if some doesn’t buy it at the original price, they’re not going to with another £500 or more slapped on...or maybe they will, I dunno... o

While on this subject, there’s also the non-specific Wanted ads from ‘Collectors’...which obviously adds more credence.

Finally, while HMRC obviously have many other (much larger) fish to fry, I do sometimes wonder  about tax...some bedroom dealers seem to have more guitars for sale at any one time than Anderson’s, FFS (and this isn’t their day job).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah there is one bloke up in Newcastle and then Steve in Leicester who always has a lot of slightly overpriced guitars for sale. 
    I’ve just seen one which made me laugh out loud.

• bgmartinsbridgebgmartinsbridge Frets: 2865
    edited February 2020
    Glenfield/ Leicester - 110 ads/ guitars for sale

Golders Green - 50 - £91k if you want them all lol

:-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah there is one bloke up in Newcastle and then Steve in Leicester who always has a lot of slightly overpriced guitars for sale. 
    I’ve just seen one which made me laugh out loud.
    The guy in Leicester tried to trade with me a few times. I think it’s the guy on who has being trying to sell an older McCarty with Bareknuckle pickups and a sanded down neck for stupid money. Embarrassing.   
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3458
    tony99 said:
    carlos said:
    tony99 said:
    carlos said:
    Best place to buy and sell is Facebook marketplace
    I've found the opposite lately, sold two on gumtree for my asking price, and had nothing but timewasters on FB

only got to get rid of one more anyway and I'm down to the two that are keepers !!
    Could location be important for this? I had my American Std Strat on Gumtree and Facebook and got zero replies in the former and nearly a dozen on the latter.
    Could be Carlos, who knows? Don't get me wrong, on FB I have no end of people enquiring but it's usually bizarre trades or rubbish offers, one guy offered me £285 for a USA strat just last week the cheeky sausage.
    I've had those too. There was a dude offering some headphones, an epiphone and some pedals for my USA strat. It was like half a dozen things. Was surprised he didn't throw in a toaster as well.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Never had any problems with FB Marketplace. I'm a member of about 5-6 amp/pedal/guitar groups and have always found them useful. Sure you get some scraping the barrel with their offers but I always find them the minority.

Reverb has also been a helping hand the last couple of years.

Always found Gumtree a complete waste of time and eBay seems to be getting worse.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom