Mini-toggle pickup selector?

What's Hot
Am I right in thinking I could use a mini-toggle as a 3-way pickup selector?

If so, what type would I need - my assumption is a DPDT on-on-on (like this), but could do with some forum lore on this please. 

Merci!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Yes, that’s correct. Simply connect both middle terminals to the output, and both terminals at each end to the inputs - that’s more reliable than only using one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Whoop, thanks @ICBM, that sorts out the backup plan for my PRS then!

As stupid as it seems, I’m trying to preserve the sweet-switch “look” without having to lose out on certain sounds. I’ve got an actual sweet switch and 5-way rotary in there atm, but can’t really say I’m too fussed about the sweet switch so far. I’m pretty much a bridge-pickup only player these days anyway, so should be able to cope with the fiddlier toggle too without much impact. :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    That’s not a stupid thing to do - early PRSs are relatively valuable, and enlarging the Sweet Switch hole is irreversible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Ah well that's the stupid part - someone had already enlarged the hole before I bought it! Besides, there's enough changes and wear & tear to remove most of the collector value of this one - it's absolutely a player's grade guitar, and all the better for it!

A friend of mine has a 3d printer so I'm having a couple of deep-fit washers made up to better situate the mini-toggle into the enlarged hole as a temporary measure until I decide what to do in the long-run (i.e. maple plug & refin or similar).
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14455
    Which three sounds do you use the most?

If the switch hole has already been enlarged to pot shaft proportions, it should accept a 4P3T on/on/on switch. This could be configured to offer the John Petrucci circuit. Neck / Inside Coils / Bridge.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Good shout, I didn't realise his sig's had those. The only trouble is that I'm particularly keen to keep things limited to a mini-toggle if possible.

If I had the choice, I'd have a 5-way rotary/blade with the following options:
    • Bridge HB
    • Inner-coils in parallel
    • Neck HB
    • Inner-coils in series
    • Neck SC
    I could happily live with the first three though.