Index finger injury - Can't play guitar

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• For anyone that's interested, I got my blood test results back and the only thing they showed was being a little low in vitamin D, so my GP recommended a specific dose of D3 which I've been taking for a few weeks. Dare say we are all low on Vitamin D in winter, But it can't hurt to improve it.

I've got 3 fingers now on my picking hand that seem to have trigger finger as well (or the beginnings of it) - but my right hand index finger, the one that I had a steroid injection in back in November (which had no good effect at the time) has now improved enough for me to play electric guitar again, so really happy about that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • luke_87luke_87 Frets: 1
    edited April 2023
    @Slash'N'burn 2 years later, I'd love to hear how you're getting on? Came on here and followed your story because I have almost this exact issue except my pain is in the middle knuckle of my fretting hand (left). I have an appointment with an orthopaedic surgeon next week but I'm not holding out much hope as this seems like a very guitar-specific issue, which you mentioned previously. I'm around 6 days into fully resting from the guitar and the pain just seems the same as a week ago. Any tips etc?

And thanks, by the way, for continuously updating this thread. I personally found it very helpful and interesting as most others with this pain just seem to disappear from the forums leading me to wonder if there was ever a fix lol
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1852
    My cousin was an unlucky bugger. Somebody ran over his index finger and he died. It wouldn't have been half as bad except he was picking his nose at the time.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 250
    I have a similar condition from over practice on an acoustic with a rather high action. First knuckle on index. Regime has been rest initially, first couple of days paracetamol (NHS site says this initially then switch to ibuprofen). Been lingering a while with slow improvement. Then I was advised to take turmeric as it is an anti inflammatory. Couldn’t get fresh stuff in root form so being making a cup of black tea with a teaspoon of the bright yellow powdered stuff (don’t spill it!). It tastes like floral flavoured mud but it seemed to really help. I’ve been taking it for several days now and almost back to normal.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11900
    marxski said:
    I have a similar condition from over practice on an acoustic with a rather high action. First knuckle on index. Regime has been rest initially, first couple of days paracetamol (NHS site says this initially then switch to ibuprofen). Been lingering a while with slow improvement. Then I was advised to take turmeric as it is an anti inflammatory. Couldn’t get fresh stuff in root form so being making a cup of black tea with a teaspoon of the bright yellow powdered stuff (don’t spill it!). It tastes like floral flavoured mud but it seemed to really help. I’ve been taking it for several days now and almost back to normal.
    Have you had it examined by a professional?
    Bit surprised to see recommendation for paracetamol then NSAID later, what diagnosis is that based on?
    I thought both at once was a normal approach for many injuries