Coil Tap on a Pot?

What's Hot
I have a pickup that has a coil tap and normally the extra windings would be brought in by a push switch that switches between the full pickup and the tap.

Is there a way to possibly wire it up so that the extra windings are gradually brought in with a pot? So instead of either full or tapped, it would start tapped then it would be like a "boost" control that gradually gets louder and louder?

Obviously it wouldn't actually introduce the extra windings gradually, it would introduce them all but with a lot of resistance at first and the resistance would gradually decrease as the pot is turned?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10416
    edited February 2020
    You could wire the centre joint of the coils to one centre lug  of a pot and the end of the pot to ground ... that would kind of do that but I expect @ICBM has a better way of doing it 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27604
    Blend pots?
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Danny1969 said:
    You could wire the centre joint of the coils to one centre lug  of a pot and the end of the pot to ground ... that would kind of do that but I expect @ICBM has a better way of doing it 
    No :). That’s exactly how I would do it - except that for a tapped (rather than split) pickup you want to connect it to the pickup hot and not ground, or you get the wrong part of the winding normally.

For it to work properly you need a Log pot, but it doesn’t matter much if it’s 250K or 500K.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    ICBM said:
    Danny1969 said:
    No :). That’s exactly how I would do it - except that for a tapped (rather than split) pickup you want to connect it to the pickup hot and not ground, or you get the wrong part of the winding normally.

For it to work properly you need a Log pot, but it doesn’t matter much if it’s 250K or 500K.
    Cheers man.

So just for clarification, it's not a split humbucker but a tapped single coil.

So could you just go over again what connects to what for that one?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    Simply connect the full output and the tap to the two terminals on the pot that you would use if it was a tone control. (Centre and counterclockwise.) It doesn’t matter which way round.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein