Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Modifications and their effect on value.

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• There’s modifications and modifications isn’t there? 

For instance, a pickup change is pretty standard on most guitars. Would a pickup change bother me? No, providing it’s a good quality pickup and not something out of the bargain bin. Equally, I wouldn’t expect to pay more for a pickup change either. I feel the same about changes such as trem blocks or bridge material -they’ve usually been done with the aim of improving the guitar.

Obviously a refinish is slightly different. However, I wouldn’t be put off by a quality refinish (ie. if one of our forum own had replaced a poly finish with a nitro finish). Equally, I don’t expect to see a price hike either.

The final type of modification that rightfully should impact a guitars value are those that cannot be reversed. I would place works by our sausage-fingered friend and removing a serial number in this category. They can be avoided and should have been. It is detrimental to the instrument and in the case of a serial number, proof of its very existence.

As for case candy, really what is the fuss about some hang tags and a shitty manual? Just don’t get the obsession.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • our sausage-fingered friend
    I love that guy. Is he still at it?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Problem with guitar trading today, because there is so much information available, people tend to look at an instrument as what it should be as opposed to what it is.

personally if a guitar looks good and the price is on a par with what I would expect it to be for the instrument then happy days. 

That is a very pretty instrument though but who is Guthrie Govan?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• That is a very pretty instrument though but who is Guthrie Govan?
    He's a virtuoso-type guitar player, he's done a number of interesting things like I think Steven Wilson, Hans Zimmer etc. He's got a few of these Charvel signatures out and people think they're pretty good, if a little pricey.

• That is a very pretty instrument though but who is Guthrie Govan?
    He's a virtuoso-type guitar player, he's done a number of interesting things like I think Steven Wilson, Hans Zimmer etc. He's got a few of these Charvel signatures out and people think they're pretty good, if a little pricey.
    Oh another one!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7361
    That's exactly the kind of thing I'd buy if he hadn't gone the wrong direction with price.
    Still looks nice and no longer says someone else's name on it (which makes sense as it's no longer that player's spec).
    I'd pay £1200, but pointless offering it as when a price is that wrong all you get back is accusations of low balling.
  • The guitar looks nice, but should be less than the price of an unmolested example. As has been said, VERY few modifications add value, sanding the serial number is not one of them! 

I'm not particularly familiar with GG's music, I quite like him though.