Finishing a new neck

What's Hot
Has anyone got any tips in finishing a new maple neck (both have rosewood fingerboards).  I have two unsealed etc at this stage.  They appear very smooth but do I sand further with 1000 grit, for example.  Is Tru-Oil good enough or would a wax finish be better for playability?  

Any views welcome!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27603
    I’d use the tru-oil, no wax.

Lemon oil for the fretboards of course!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27603
    Or just plain old Liberon finishing oil.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I would also suggest Tru Oil, a couple of thin coats are silky smooth...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited February 2020 tFB Trader
    Tru Oil is a gunstock finish which I think is why its great for guitars..  Oil and hardener...…. Good for necks yes...

We also use Osmo oil at work for table tops and stuff.. Its a really good product too. 

This is a good tru oil trick aswell

• Tru-oil - particularly applied in the @WezV ; 'slurry and buff' method - produces a silky smooth, organic-feeling neck and I have used it on many, if not most of my builds.

The only thing I have found is that, with a lot of playing (I'm talking here about every 6 months to a year, not weeks) some of the smoothness can eventually roughen up just a touch and need a quick rub down with some 8000 - 12000 microweb cloth.  

I think that I remember that Wez does do a final application of Briwax once the Tru-oil is fully cured and I confess I haven't tried that.  

However, what I have tried on my last three or four builds, is exactly the same 'slurry and buff' application but using Danish Oil rather than Tru-oil.  Although it takes longer to dry between the coats, I have yet to have one done like that show any sign of usage roughness.  Anyone else do it like that?  And for that matter, any one else get the long-term slight roughness with Tru-oil?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    Tru-oil - particularly applied in the @WezV ; 'slurry and buff' method - produces a silky smooth, organic-feeling neck and I have used it on many, if not most of my builds.

The only thing I have found is that, with a lot of playing (I'm talking here about every 6 months to a year, not weeks) some of the smoothness can eventually roughen up just a touch and need a quick rub down with some 8000 - 12000 microweb cloth.  

I think that I remember that Wez does do a final application of Briwax once the Tru-oil is fully cured and I confess I haven't tried that.  

However, what I have tried on my last three or four builds, is exactly the same 'slurry and buff' application but using Danish Oil rather than Tru-oil.  Although it takes longer to dry between the coats, I have yet to have one done like that show any sign of usage roughness.  Anyone else do it like that?  And for that matter, any one else get the long-term slight roughness with Tru-oil?

oddly, i find the roughness occurs quicker with danish oil.  I think i do mention in the thread i did that it works well with danish and tru oil.   my final step of buffing with briwax and 0000 liberon wire wool does keep it feelign great for longer.   

But any oil/wax finish is going to need some upkeep, it just depends when.     repeating the wax stage is a good way to go.   if you do it once a year for the first few years  it starts to build a really nice feeling  patina which will last longer

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom