Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you really get what you pay for?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The price is what you pay and the value is what you get. Basic rule of capitalism is to try to achieve the maximum price for your product unless you are chasing market share. I have never played a HB but they may well be very nice guitars. I have a chibson LP which is pretty good. I also own a CS Fender costing over an order of magnitude more that the chibson and it is fantastic. On a pound-for-pound basis the chibson wins but I love my Fender.

My advice is to get the HB and send it back if you done like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3402
    I have a Hb Les Paul. Crazy value for money. Is it as good as a gibson? No my real LP is still better but it's probably in par with my epi LP or my ibanez destroyer and is worth about 100 quid less than either.
    Put some Bareknuckles in and it will be better than an R8 ;-)

I'd say that up to around £5-600 you get what you pay for. Beyond that there are diminishing returns.

Of course an £2000 guitar is better made, better finished, has higher quality components etc. But is it 4x better than a £500 guitar? I bought a second hand Shiflett tele for £500, from Andertons a while ago. I also tried an American tele deluxe (£1200) and a Friedman vintage t (£2200) at the same time.

I decided it wasn't worth spending the extra money and bought the Shiflett. It's a great guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonP said:
    I have a Hb Les Paul. Crazy value for money. Is it as good as a gibson? No my real LP is still better but it's probably in par with my epi LP or my ibanez destroyer and is worth about 100 quid less than either.
    Put some Bareknuckles in and it will be better than an R8 ;-)

I'd say that up to around £5-600 you get what you pay for. Beyond that there are diminishing returns.

Of course an £2000 guitar is better made, better finished, has higher quality components etc. But is it 4x better than a £500 guitar? I bought a second hand Shiflett tele for £500, from Andertons a while ago. I also tried an American tele deluxe (£1200) and a Friedman vintage t (£2200) at the same time.

I decided it wasn't worth spending the extra money and bought the Shiflett. It's a great guitar.
    I think the point I was trying to make was that the HBs do still punch above their weight..just not by crazy amounts.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I got a short scale P-bass about ten years ago. I think it cost £60. I used it in a covers band for six months before getting my VM Jazz.

All it needed was trussrod and intonation set. No fret bloom. Sounded ok at the time, but I thought it sounded better after a break of a few years when my Jazz was away to get a prosetup. Bridge seemed ok but I always thought the tuners sucked.

I've tried to sell it locally a few times, but nobody wants it. Even for £20.