Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Do you really get what you pay for?

What's Hot
CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
Or do these things punch above their weight? Anyone with any positives, or indeed negatives? I mean at that price, I'm seriously tempted to take a punt. My concern is that it may just be pot luck whether you get a beauty, or one that needs work. I'm happy to swap Pick Ups and electrics out so no issues there. 
Any thoughts?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_xt_22_paradise_flame.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited February 2020
    They're exactly as good if not better than any custom shop guitar ever made, but particular Gibson R8s and R9s. The only thing you have to remember is to change the pickups.

- Official theFretboard 'Fact'
    17reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    terada said:
    They're exactly as good if not better than any custom shop guitar ever made, but particular Gibson R8s and R9s. The only thing you have to remember is to change the pickups.

I'll take that as a No then.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72688
    Whether you really get what you pay for depends how much you're paying and what you're expecting.

[/true but useless answer]

:)

It certainly won't be as good as a guitar costing ten times as much. But it might be nearly as good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    edited February 2020
    CeeJay said:
    terada said:

I'll take that as a No then.
    By most accounts pretty good actually - at least as good as others in that price bracket. But there have been quite a number of comments over the years which made some rather incredible claims, hence my response. 

My only concern with them is that to get a guitar landed in the uk for as low as some of the HBs are (sometimes just £60-70), there are quite a lot of compromises that need to be made along the way.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10297
    edited February 2020
    terada said:

That thread was really a low point for logic.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19045
    Will they be as good as a good Gibson (insert name of choice)? No.
    Will they be a good guitar for those prices? I'd say yes.
    It will never appreciate in value, but if you buy it to play & not as a speculation, then so what?
    Hell, I have far too many guitars & even I'm tempted by it (by the SG 3 pickup type too!).

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4970
    The HB are Chinese made, but to the specific customer spec and with their Q/A.
    Typically the hardware is generic.

• CeeJay said:
    My concern is that it may just be pot luck whether you get a beauty, or one that needs work

TBH that is true of Gibson in my experiance too :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I love a cheap guitar and pimping it up, I also like the silly money ones but I get a lot of satisfaction out of tinkering a cheap guitar into something good. It's not whether its as good as a Gibson insert brand here, more of what is it's potential there are few guitars these days that with a bit of work on the frets and tweaking maybe a pickup change cannot be made to play and sound great. Go for it is what I say
  • rossirossi Frets: 1707
    edited February 2020
    It will probably need  some fret levelling and such  but is  great value for  the money and if its a really awful example you can sent  it back.Same goes for any make .My own experience of Gibson has been fine and way better than any cheaper copy .Fender dont bother me at all as I can do what I want with their agricultural design  and build anyway so I never even check a Fender for other that radius, neck shape ,and weight .I can work on the rest .As to pickups its really only relevant if you play live at a decent volume, where cheapos can flub out,  or record for a living .The rest is froth ,your own  expectations and vanity, ..........and a turn of a knob .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16174
    It looks exactly like my old US Hamer Sunburst but the book matched top is nicer
    The pickups couldn't sound worse than the stock Dimarzio in the Hamer -they were nasty
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3682
    My son is looking to buy himself what I would term a cheap guitar but of course to him is a fair bit of money (he's 15).  Yesterday we called in at A to G Music in Warrington  ( @atogmusic thanks for getting in touch and letting me know that you were there).  It was quite refreshing to be shopping on such a tight budget but also knowing that it had to be the right guitar for him.  It's important because it is something that we do together.  He's determined to learn the guitar without Dad's help (or interference as he would call it) so it's nice that he's taking a little bit of advice (or it could be that he just needs me to drive him to the shop).
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 851
    edited February 2020
    Buy it

Try it

Send it back if it isn't right! 

Mail order stores are piling high selling cheep(ish if the brand allows) and putting high street shops out of business. Don't feel guilty if you do send it back.... it is the risk they take.

More than likely you'll keep it. 
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    I'd bet that as an inexpensive guitar its pretty good. I picked up a Cort electric the other day and had a quick play - it was light felt comfortable frets seemed pretty well finished - in fact it was a nice guitar and the price was silly. I wouldn't buy one now but I would have at the beginning ;)
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4970
    My experience is that price tends to go with quality, but not necessarily vice-versa.
    Whenever I get a cheaper instrument which is quite good, it always has the rider "for the price".
  • I have a Hb Les Paul. Crazy value for money. Is it as good as a gibson? No my real LP is still better but it's probably in par with my epi LP or my ibanez destroyer and is worth about 100 quid less than either.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • i suspect i would be very happy with the HB if i wanted one. But that may be because ive never owned high end guitars. The only named guitars i have at the moment  are a gibson LP studio and a fender modern player tele, my others are a couple of epiphone e 339 and 335. My favourite and main gigging guitar is  a budget epiphone 339 which to me feels and sounds great. I accept if id been spoiled by having £2k-£3k stuff i would feel differently