Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What P? (decided on MJT!)

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    Aguilar 60s wind pickup. The AG 4P 60.

https://www.aguilaramp.com/pickup-series/p-bass-pickups/

Trust me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27000
    edited March 2020
    Ooh... I was thinking Lollars as I've never heard a bad word but now I have more decisions to make...

Actually, with that in mind, does anyone have any strong feelings about ash vs alder for a 60's style P bass? I assume alder is more "authentic", whatever that means
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72344
    It depends which direction you want to tip it in - alder if you want the soft and woody sound, ash if you want deep and piano-like.

I prefer ash, but you probably knew I would say that...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    It depends which direction you want to tip it in - alder if you want the soft and woody sound, ash if you want deep and piano-like.

I prefer ash, but you probably knew I would say that... 

Yeah, I did :D 

But it's not necessarily wrong. I've gone quartersawn for the neck which will make it a bit snappier if anything, so inclined towards alder, though ash is prettier. 

Frankly I'm barely beyond the "all basses sound the same" stage, so just looking for a decent blank canvas 
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I'd recommend the Bare Knuckles 58 Split P-Bass https://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/pickup/p-bass/p-bass-58-split-coil-p

I have one on my 66 P-bass and it really sounds great.  A long time ago I had a 62 P Bass and this gets me the same sound (as least as much as I can remember it).
    Cheers. From all the recommends so far it looks like that Alnico V with 42 AWG wire wound to ~11k seems to be the sweet spot.  Will do some googles. 
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited March 2020
    Just popped in to say IMO a lot of the MJT stuff looks a bit rubbish, @lamf68 @rexter and @GoldenEraGuitars are all UK based and will do a better job for less money
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    John_A said:
    Just popped in to say IMO a lot of the MJT stuff looks a bit rubbish, @lamf68 @rexter and @GoldenEraGuitars are all UK based and will do a better job for less money
    Ta but I’m not UK-based and have previously had a bunch of MJT stuff and been happy, so... 
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1330
    edited March 2020
    I have a tele with MJT body and allparts neck, and it's awesome. Nicely (not over-) done relic too.

https://imgur.com/gallery/r4QsyNf.jpg

Would definitely recommend as you have the skills to put it all together
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    Ta but I’m not UK-based and have previously had a bunch of MJT stuff and been happy, so... 
    Fair enough :)
    Righto, Lollars ordered (sorry @fretmeister!). ;

What about strings? La Bella flats seem to be the main theme from what I’ve been reading. Is there a specific sub-type? What about gauge? I have no intention of anything heavier than absolutely necessary- life’s too short
    Righto, Lollars ordered (sorry @fretmeister!). ;

What about strings? La Bella flats seem to be the main theme from what I’ve been reading. Is there a specific sub-type? What about gauge? I have no intention of anything heavier than absolutely necessary- life’s too short
    La Bella are the Jamerson / Dunn tone.
    Word of warning - they are really quite heavy compared to other more modern flats. If you normally like 45s you might prefer 40s, especially as the old tone masters had a higher action.

Also out of the packet the low E usually sounds very different to the others. Thuddy to the point of being very annoying. They take quite a bit of time to bed in and sound even across all the strings. Can take a few weeks if you are not playing that often.

I like them, but got fed up with the wait and the tension so I swapped back to Thomastiks. They have more mids than the La Bellas. Not a thumpy but more versatile.

Pino with Ti Flats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFgFFNXahcg

A quick comparison that sounds realistic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_QXYJwt9kQ

The Ti flats with the tone down (and sponge if you want that) get close enough to the La Bella to me.

Flats are expensive though - might end up spending a fair bit to find your favourite. But then you should get a good 5 years out of them!

• KKJaleKKJale Frets: 982
    edited March 2020
    The Lollar Precision pickup is really fab. I've used one for 10 years. 

Thomastiks are a must-try,... I adored them at first but grew weary of what I heard as a slight jazz-rocky middly parp and reverted to the gorgeously Motowny Labella 760FL set, which looks to have nearly the same gauges as 760FS but in reality feels a lot more manageable. Labella Low Tension Flats might be a neat halfway house. 
    KKJale said:
    The Lollar pickup is really fab. I've used one for 10 years. 

Thomastiks are a must-try,... I adored them at first but grew weary of what I heard as a slight jazz-rocky middly parp and reverted to the gorgeously Motowny Labella 760FL set, which looks to have nearly the same gauges as 760FS but in reality feels a lot more manageable. Labella Low Tension Flats might be a neat halfway house. 
    The La Bella Low tensions are a bit disappointing. I was really excited to try them and they just feel like supermarket own brand Thomastiks. Just meh.

• Another +1 for the Thomastik flats for most versatile and easiest playing flat strings. 
    Cheers all. I was actually just attacking that JM Trio trAck on drums so know it very well. 

From those vids I really like the sound of the Thomastiks so will give those a go first, then maybe La Bellas a year or so later..
    A year? The Thomastiks will have only just settled in! :D 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A year? The Thomastiks will have only just settled in! :D 
    :D :D 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    So today I got my hands around a Vintera series 50’s Precision. Lovely instrument and not too heavy but the neck was too wide at 44.5mm and no rolled edges. 

So I’m clear on 43mm being ok as long as the rest is ok, which means most things are potential options. 

The fly in the ointment is I’m now slightly obsessing about Rickenbackers and listened to Rubber Soul yesterday which didn’t help in that regard... I’m quite sure the correct answer is “Why not both?!” but there is still an initial question of “which one first”
    Because the Ric costs about 3 grand and its tone is more like a "party piece" compared the Precision's "workhorse" tone :P 

Re: the strings - I've tried quite a few different of the well known brands of flats and found Thomastik-Infeld (TI) Jazz flats to be my favourite.

I did get a set of Ernie Ball Cobalt flats installed on my J bass for free during a GuitarGuitar promotion and they actually feel amazing and sound really good on that bass but haven't heard them on a P.