Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - 2016 Private Stock PRS McCarty 594

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    That’s not a crazy price for a private stock. 3500£ was very, very generous.
    That's roughly what I bought it for, and then sold it for. I enjoyed owning it, I'm sure Con did too. It's only the dealers (retail or bedroom) that inflate prices to ridiculous levels. It then only takes one or two buyers with more money than sense to make these inflated prices seem acceptable. A PRS Private Stock is no better a guitar than a core model, it just looks prettier.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cm01cm01 Frets: 452
    Hopefully safe to say this now that it's long gone... that 3 way switch placement is all kinds of wrong!  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Grampa said:
    That’s not a crazy price for a private stock. 3500£ was very, very generous.
    That's roughly what I bought it for, and then sold it for. I enjoyed owning it, I'm sure Con did too. It's only the dealers (retail or bedroom) that inflate prices to ridiculous levels. It then only takes one or two buyers with more money than sense to make these inflated prices seem acceptable. A PRS Private Stock is no better a guitar than a core model, it just looks prettier.
    I completely agree, and I wish these kind of dealers weren’t a thing. Not sure how big a part they have played in it, but used prices, across the board, have risen a lot the past couple of years. I think sites like Reverb are partly to blame as well. People see the asking prices there and assume that’s the going rate, even if the guitars sit unsold for ages. It’s great you chose you sell the guitar for what you paid. More or less breaking even is my aim when selling on a guitar I’ve enjoyed.

I also agree that Private Stock guitars aren’t necessarily better than Core models, strictly in terms of sound, playability and function. But that’s not really the point? They are vastly more expensive, new and used. And as often as not priced around that 6k mark. I would certainly not pay that kind of money (not to mention the 10k+ price of a new one), but some people obviously do.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9315
    Grampa said:

Selling without inflating the price is one of the things that makes this forum a great place. 
    I'm going to disagree that a Private Stock is no better than a core. I'm going to say there is a world of difference and if you buy 2 core line 594s, they'll both sound subtly different. For me though, I owned 2 MEVs together. A private stock and then the core model from the experience. The core was a good guitar (was because I sold it), the private stock is something special. I also had a Paul's guitar at one point at the same time as the MEV, which have the same pickups and that was very close too. The private stock has an additional couple of percent at most, but it's that couple of percent that means I still have my private stock (and probably always will) and don't have either of those core models.
  • RebarRebar Frets: 134
    I think it's now up on ebay for £7300!!
    Rebar said:
    I think it's now up on ebay for £7300!!
    That's the one.

Try a cheeky offer of £3500, in six months time when it hasn't sold they'll probably bite your hand off!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And here it is again! Might just buy a ticket to try and win it back.

https://guitargeargiveaway.co.uk/product/prs-private-stock-mccarty-594-periscope-6-teal-nightshade-6402/
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    edited November 2021
    Hahahah f*ck me they make an absolute TONNE of money off this raffle scam. It's 1350 tickets at 9 quid a pop. They don't complete the raffle until all tickets are sold....so that's over 12k they are taking home on this guitar. They must be laughing themselves silly all the way to the bank. 
    wizbit81 said:
    Hahahah f*ck me they make an absolute TONNE of money off this raffle scam. It's 1350 tickets at 9 quid a pop. They don't complete the raffle until all tickets are sold....so that's over 12k they are taking home on this guitar. They must be laughing themselves silly all the way to the bank. 
    Exactly...If I win it back I think I'll raffle it next time!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wizbit81wizbit81 Frets: 445
    I'm going to raffle my entire collection, I'll be a millionaire by next week! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    We've had ten guitars bought in the last few months by online raffle sites .. only the legalities and paperwork are a minefield I'd nearly think about launching a site myself! 

www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We've had ten guitars bought in the last few months by online raffle sites .. only the legalities and paperwork are a minefield I'd nearly think about launching a site myself! 

The legalities of most of these sites are questionable at best. Most, if not all, of these sites should fall under gambling legalisation and be licensed by the Gambling Commission - I've not seen a single one that advertises this so far, nor makes it transparent whether they are licensed or not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RustyleeRustylee Frets: 30
    edited November 2021
    The fact that you have to answer a (quite obvious) question with your entry makes the whole thing a "competition" and not gambling is how they get away with it.
    Rusty Lee
    Too Many Strats, A few Les Pauls, A couple of PRS and a Brian May Red Special, Oh, I nearly forgot an Ivison 58 Double Cut
  • WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    @rustylee - that seems to be the loophole .. in addition to which if you want to operate / cover NI you also have to give a free route to entry 
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DDtBDDtB Frets: 60
    Just FYI to those suggesting guitargeargiveaway is a scam.  It’s not.  The guys running it have worked hard to build that business and are genuine music gear fans.

Decent blokes who’ve created something that has actually made a lot of folk happy, including some charities and don’t deserve slagging from folk who don’t actually have a clue about them or what they’ve done.

I’ve got amps, pedals and guitars I wouldn’t ever have had if not been for folk like them so I’ll always be grateful and defend them.  
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 788
    @rustylee - that seems to be the loophole .. in addition to which if you want to operate / cover NI you also have to give a free route to entry 
    They have a free entry tucked away in the T&Cs on guitargeargiveaway. But it is fairly onerous in terms of requirements 

• qawsedqawsed Frets: 75
    edited November 2021
    wizbit81 said:
    Not sure this is quite right judging by their FAQs:

“We have NEVER extended a competition and NEVER will. Regardless of how many tickets sell the entries will close when the timer runs out. Most of the time our tickets sell out long before the timer runs out and often draws get brought forward. However, if the tickets don’t sell out we will do the draw no matter what.”

I hadn’t realised this was a thing until this morning - definitely not for me, but I can understand the appeal for those who gamble/enter raffles.
  • DDtB said:
    Just FYI to those suggesting guitargeargiveaway is a scam.  It’s not.  The guys running it have worked hard to build that business and are genuine music gear fans.

Decent blokes who’ve created something that has actually made a lot of folk happy, including some charities and don’t deserve slagging from folk who don’t actually have a clue about them or what they’ve done.

I’ve got amps, pedals and guitars I wouldn’t ever have had if not been for folk like them so I’ll always be grateful and defend them.  
    I’m not saying it’s a scam, I’m just saying that their operating model is questionable.