Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Body Shape And Comfort

What's Hot
CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
Ok, I started playing just over a year ago. I've always loved the shape of a Gibson SG, so just starting out and wanting a nice , but affordable guitar I bought an Epiphone SG G400 Pro. I thought it was the dogs nads ........until, I bought a cheap Yamaha Pacifica as a project to learn about the workings of an electric guitar. I stripped out all the electrics and pick ups and replaced them with upgrades, CTS pots etc. I even made myself a new scratchplate to house a Neck P90, which although only a Wilkinson Jobbie, sounds great. It sounds so much better than the SG. So swap the pick ups in the SG I hear you cry. Yes, well here's the thing. I've tried to love the SG but It's just not comfortable to play, either standing due to it being very neck heavy, or sitting, due to the nut being a country mile further away than the Yamaha. I do prefer the Gibson scale length over the Fender Strat type scale length though.
So I've made my mind up, the Epi SG has to go as I'm playing it less and less, so does my answer lie in a Les Paul shape? Is it less of a reach to the first fret on an LP? I guess the answer is to go and try one, but I thought I'd throw it out for your thoughts.

(Another thing I noticed is the SG sounds dead unplugged compared to the Pacifica. Maybe because I stripped the finish off the Pacifica and finished it with a water based satin varnish? I dunno)

Thanks all.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
    In my experience the Strat shape (and near-copies like the Pacifica) is by far the most comfortable and playable of all the mainstream body shapes.

Offsets like the Jaguar and Jazzmaster are fine to play standing up but feel awkward sitting down. Anything without the forearm and ribcage contours are just uncomfortable full stop.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23029
    An LP feels completely different from an SG and completely different from a Pacifica.  The LP doesn't have the miles-away nut of the SG, but you'll have to deal with the thick heavy body and bulky neck heel.... just try some and see what you think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12409
    Have a go of a few different things in a shop and see what feels right
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72530
    If you prefer the double-cutaway body and relatively deep-set neck of the Yamaha (and its P90) but the Gibson scale length, then the obvious answer is that you should try a Les Paul Special double-cut. Some of those aren’t too expensive either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I think ergonomics is the area of guitar design which is the most contentious.

Some people think Les Pauls are the ultimate in comfort - some think the same of Strats. One thing’s for certain - those two are ‘very’ different. Some people can easily swap between them - some (I’m in this camp) can’t.

I suspect there are many factors at play, including: what did you start with/are most familiar with? How tall are you? How long are your arms? How big are your hands? Do you mainly play seated or standing? Do you switch pick-ups/change volume/tone settings often? 

Ultimately the only person who can decide what works for them is the player. In my experience, it’s usually pretty easy to rule out designs that are a definite ‘no’. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    edited February 2020
    Why do you prefer the Gibson scale length if the Pacifica is more comfortable than the SG?
  • The 2018 sg standard has no neck dive.   Ive played it so much and the position of my hand during solos feels very natural.  When I play as strat type guitar my hand feels too close to my body centre whilst doing it feels awkward.   SG ftw!
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16138
    I've always found pretty much anything more comfortable than an SG
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    tFB Trader
    I don't like the way an sg feels to play either and the exact reason why I'm making something that has that vibe in a more comfortable way
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    edited February 2020
    I find SGs very comfortable, but I don't like everything about them.  I do take the point about the neck being "too far to the left", you have to get used to it, and I have owned neck-heavy SGs, but probably more non-neck-heavy ones.

I like the top-fret access, although I always worry a bit about the strength of the neck joint.  I like the overall look, layout and shape of the SG, although I always think the body looks just slightly too wide or squat. 

But my favourite thing about SGs is the body contouring.  It looks super cool around the horns, and the body edges don't get in the way at all - unlike the dished/carved top of an LP or PRS, which has a sharp edge to irritate the forearm.

If I tried to design an ideal guitar, it would have several SG-like features but it wouldn't look exactly like an SG.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    Why not look to a PRS Mira? An SE version?

My favourite guitar by far of late is a guitar based on a Gibson The Paul which I made myself
    Like an LP special but  with a tummy cut and an arm bevel - so damn comfy 
    Sonically it's an Sg or flying V crammed neatly into a lightweight ergonomic LP shape
    Admittedly custom UK made may be a bit of a stretch financially

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @FelineGuitars Two excellent examples of exactly the kind of comfy body contouring I was talking about. :)
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I think the most comfortable guitar I have played might be the Vox SSC 33 because the contours and shape felt like it fitted the body. Shame the pickups were so shite. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72530

That’s absolutely beautiful. I’ve always liked the flatter body and neck angle of The Paul and its powerful sound, but they’re just so... brown! And let’s face it, a bit ugly. That’s how Gibson should have done them :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3668
    The most comfotable guitar I ever owned, or played, was a Parker Dragonfly.

Increddibly light, fit like a favourite pair of slippers.  Couldn't coax a decent sound out of it so it got traded in against a PRS.
  • If you want cheap, the Dearmonds have a cut away on the back which makes the Les Paul type shape more comfortable.
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Sassafras said:
    Why do you prefer the Gibson scale length if the Pacifica is more comfortable than the SG?
    Less of a stretch for my ageing fingers. I know it's only marginal, but it's there.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11463
    The PRS shape is closer to a Strat than most dual humbucker guitars.  Their default 25" scale is not the same as an SG, but is shorter than the Pacifica (assuming that is 25.5").  PRS do make some guitars with shorter scales that might be worth hunting out.
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    edited February 2020
    ICBM said:
    If you prefer the double-cutaway body and relatively deep-set neck of the Yamaha (and its P90) but the Gibson scale length, then the obvious answer is that you should try a Les Paul Special double-cut. Some of those aren’t too expensive either.
    That's a good shout, and if finances won't stretch, there's always the Harley Benton.
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_dc_junior_fat_faded_cherry.htm

Or this fella's even got Grover tuners.
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_xt_22_black_cherry_flame.htm
  • ICBM said:

That’s absolutely beautiful. I’ve always liked the flatter body and neck angle of The Paul and its powerful sound, but they’re just so... brown! And let’s face it, a bit ugly. That’s how Gibson should have done them :).

I've seen a Gibson a similar colour to that (not sure if it was original). Mine is a gold-burst (have definitely seen a couple of those including an sg shaped one). 

That one does look proper nice though!