Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Guitar Body Shape And Comfort

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• What about a GJ2 Shredder? Gibson scale length, super comfortable body... I had one, it was great:

Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18918
    ICBM said:

That’s absolutely beautiful. I’ve always liked the flatter body and neck angle of The Paul and its powerful sound, but they’re just so... brown! And let’s face it, a bit ugly. That’s how Gibson should have done them :).
    Agreed, the Feline is gorgeous.
    Regarding the original 'The Paul', I happen to like to see natural wood  :)

There was also 'The Paul II' which retained the slimmer body & 'tummy cut'  but came in colours.
    Image result for gibson the paul 2
    Also the later Gibson les paul special SL
    Image result for gibson les paul special SL

Sadly, none of them came in the range of colours that would have really suited them (such as the Feline).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23030
    Kittyfrisk said:

There was also 'The Paul II' which retained the slimmer body & 'tummy cut'  but came in colours.

Also the later Gibson les paul special SL

Sadly, none of them came in the range of colours that would have really suited them (such as the Feline).

I was never sure whether The Paul II and The Paul SL were the same model or not?  I had a Paul SL in the red colour (cinnamon) which I modded quite a lot but ultimately sold.  I've still got a black one which I thought was another Paul SL, but the truss rod cover says The Paul II (and it has a US flag decal on the back of the headstock).

I also had a 2013 Les Paul Custom Lite with the same thinner body and tummy cut. 

None of them have been great guitars, but I really like the basic idea.  The thinner body completely removes that bulky area around the neck heel, even without any additional contouring, and gives much better access to the top frets.

I wish they'd make an LP Custom and LP Standard with the thin body, as an alternative to the "weight relieved" full thickness models. 

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Why not look to a PRS Mira? An SE version?

My favourite guitar by far of late is a guitar based on a Gibson The Paul which I made myself
    Like an LP special but  with a tummy cut and an arm bevel - so damn comfy 
    Sonically it's an Sg or flying V crammed neatly into a lightweight ergonomic LP shape
    Admittedly custom UK made may be a bit of a stretch financially

*Instant guitardon*

Is this something you're proposing to add to your regular range..?
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • CeeJay said:
    Sassafras said:
    Why do you prefer the Gibson scale length if the Pacifica is more comfortable than the SG?
    Less of a stretch for my ageing fingers. I know it's only marginal, but it's there.
    Not marginal, completely different feel and I agree with you.  If you're open to Thomann's Harley Benton guitars they have stuff in Gibson scale that has contours.

Even one with a Floyd Rose :)  But not lefty of course :(
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    edited February 2020
    clarkefan said:
    CeeJay said:
    Sassafras said:
    Why do you prefer the Gibson scale length if the Pacifica is more comfortable than the SG?
    Less of a stretch for my ageing fingers. I know it's only marginal, but it's there.
    Not marginal, completely different feel and I agree with you.  If you're open to Thomann's Harley Benton guitars they have stuff in Gibson scale that has contours.

Even one with a Floyd Rose  But not lefty of course
    Yes, just measured the fretboards on the two in question. (as best I can with strings on). The Epiphone SG is 20mm shorter than the Pacifica.
    It's not so much the contours, as the neck heaviness and distance to the nut that bothers me. Strangely enough, the distance didn't bother me until I got the Pacifica, and everything suddenly came closer. Another reason to try before you buy, especially if spending a fair amount.
  • In that case a Les Paul does what you're looking for.  I personally can't stand the neck heaviness of an SG, ES 335, style guitar.  Les Pauls don't have that problem (my first LP was a maple necked Custom which might disagree), but definitely try before you buy, they, and their copies, are not all created equal.
  • Yamaha Revstar may be worth looking at if you don't want to spend too much.
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1653
    edited February 2020
    I don’t like playing my SG sat down but I try and practice standing up anyway so the guitar is in the same place as if I was playing on stage.

I find it works best if slung slightly round to to right rather than flat in front. Brings the nut nearer to your body and feels quite comfy.

Unless it has a ridiculously heavy neck a decent wide non-slippy strap is fine. Barely notice any neck dive. 
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    Humbucked said:
    Yamaha Revstar may be worth looking at if you don't want to spend too much.
    I must say, I do like this model.....a lot

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/yamaha-revstar-rs502tfm-electric-guitar-in-vintage-japanese-denim
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1263
    Why not look to a PRS Mira? An SE version?

My favourite guitar by far of late is a guitar based on a Gibson The Paul which I made myself
    Like an LP special but  with a tummy cut and an arm bevel - so damn comfy 
    Sonically it's an Sg or flying V crammed neatly into a lightweight ergonomic LP shape
    Admittedly custom UK made may be a bit of a stretch financially

+1 on the Mira - basically it’s an SG evolved a bit. Not that the Feline isn’t gorgeous but (unless you’re Jonathon and can make your own) you could buy about three Miras for what that would cost.. :-)

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9725
    CeeJay said:
    Humbucked said:
    Yamaha Revstar may be worth looking at if you don't want to spend too much.
    I must say, I do like this model.....a lot

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/yamaha-revstar-rs502tfm-electric-guitar-in-vintage-japanese-denim
    Be aware that some of the cheaper Revstars don’t have the tummy cut.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2911
    edited February 2020
    I find an SG the comfiest guitar to play stood up. Mine doesn’t neck dive unless sat down. The nut is a bit “left” but it helps to have the guitar body more on your hip. I wouldn’t mind trying a Mira, guessing the strap button position helps with the whole nut to the left thing. 

I don’t really find strats that comfy - blocky neck joint and the body feels huge on me. The only one I really liked was a roadworn Highway 1 which the body seemed smaller and thinner on. That plus the soft v neck made it super comfy.