Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rock songs with awesome solos in a major key

What's Hot
Looking to find some new songs to cover in the band.  Especially ones in a major key with powerful emotional face melting guitar solos in. 

Any suggestions? 

Must be major not minor.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    The person who can actually tell me a definitive reason by which any tune is minor or major wins today’s Gold Star.  
    C major or A minor?
    not interested in “feel”, “mood”, “unhappy” etc which are not definitive.

is it as simple as what chord you start and finish most phrases with?  If it is Am then it is minor, and if it is C then it’s major?  What if it’s half and half?

• soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719

Boston - More than a Feeling

Twisted Sister - We're not gonna take it

Kiss - Crazy Nights

Kiss - God Gave Rock N Roll to you (maybe?)

Not face melting but v gainy

GnR Knocking on heaven's Door. 

Sweet Home Alabama

Almost anything by the Allman bros

My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6719
    sev112 said:
    The person who can actually tell me a definitive reason by which any tune is minor or major wins today’s Gold Star.  
    C major or A minor?

is it as simple as what chord you start and finish most phrases with?  If it is Am then it is minor, and if it is C then it’s major?  What if it’s half and half?

In every sense, it's all relative innit. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31606
    Not facemelting, but Since You've Been Gone is fun, including some almost country licks.
  • Nuno does some great major solos. Song For Love by Extreme comes to mind; there are others too.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited February 2020
    sev112 said:
    C major or A minor?

Once you've correctly identified the home note, the tonality depends on whether the 3rd is a major 3rd or minor 3rd (in most cases). That's it. Forget relatives, forget C major vs A minor, just think "home note", and then "third".

Play the first few notes of these tunes, in E, on the top E string:

- Frere Jacques

- Doe a Deer

- Postman Pat

- Vivaldi 4 seasons, 1st movement

The third is always a major 3rd (4th fret).

Now play:

- Bach double violin concerto

- Green sleeves

The third is always a minor 3rd (3rd fret)

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited February 2020
    p90fool said:
    Not facemelting, but Since You've Been Gone is fun, including some almost country licks.

Excellent. Also

Comfortably Numb first solo

Steve Vai Juice is great and relatively easy

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    viz said:
    sev112 said:
    C major or A minor?

Once you've correctly identified the home note, the tonality depends on whether the 3rd is a major 3rd or minor 3rd (in most cases). That's it. Forget relatives, forget C major vs A minor, just think "home note", and then "third".

- Frere Jacques

- Doe a Dear

- Postman Pat

Now play:

- Green sleeves

Yes of course 
    how do you determine a home note if there isn’t one :)

So for example Since you been gone as mentioned above
    Gmajor or Eminor ?  Phrases start in G but end on various other chords including Em ?

edited February 2020
    sev112 said:
    viz said:
    sev112 said:
    C major or A minor?

- Frere Jacques

- Doe a Deer

- Postman Pat

Now play:

- Green sleeves

Yes of course 
    how do you determine a home note if there isn’t one

So for example Since you been gone as mentioned above
    Gmajor or Eminor ?  Phrases start in G but end on various other chords including Em ?

Since you been gone absolutely, utterly, undeniably has G as its home note (well apart from the fact that it modulates to A at the end!) It's the note of repose. The key note. The note that the music is centred around. Like the subject of a sentence.

You have to be able to identify that - it's like knowing that 1 comes before 2 in counting. It's very difficult to describe, especially on a forum. So ultimately it comes with listening to lots of music. There are certain pointers:

- it's the first chord
    - it's part of a 1564 progression, and the 4 is very unstable to end on, so at the end of the song, the G would be the "final" - it would go 1564/1
    - there are various rhythmic devices that point to the first chord being the home. 
    - Both the chorus and the verse have G as the home.
    - it couldn't possibly be in E minor - the E minor chords are in the wrong place in the progression to act as home.  

If there's no home note, well the piece probably isn't in major or minor, because major / minor is predicated on the 3rd of the home note. That's the definition.

There are a few genuinely ambiguous songs (like sweet home alabama, which is in D but lots of people think it's in G ), and it's clear why these songs are ambiguous, but in the main it's immediately obvious, if you're musical.

• 2468 Motorway's second solo stands up to a bit of embellishment ;) 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• My fingers know how to play solos in a major scale or minor scale but my brain couldn't explain or define it. 

More songs please :)

• Why was it called 2468 motorway,  what does that even mean? @mudslide73 ;
    edited February 2020
    My fingers know how to play solos in a major scale or minor scale but my brain couldn't explain or define it. 

More songs please

More than a Feeling (chorus)
    Whispering a prayer
    Rio
    Where's Your Head At
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    p90fool said:
    Excellent suggestion with plenty of thematic widdle opportunity 
    soma1975 said:

Kiss - God Gave Rock N Roll to you (maybe?)

100% - the first word, God, is on the major 3rd.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    edited February 2020
    @viz if a song chords were
    G
    D
    Em
    C

what scale would solo over that? 
  • Why was it called 2468 motorway,  what does that even mean? @mudslide73 ;
    I think it's basically a song about stimulants disguised as a song about trucking. The chorus relies on 2468 then 3579 which is deffo super memorable.

I used to hate playing it until I saw the reaction of the punters. Can't explain why but they bloody love it generally. 

• viz said:
    Where's Your Head At
    Tune. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @viz if a song chords were
    G
    D
    Em
    C

what scale would solo over that? 

G major