Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Rock songs with awesome solos in a major key

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Not sure if this is 'emotional' or 'face-melting' (or even 'rock'), but currently practising Pat Benatar's Hit Me With Your Best Shot for a one-off gig.  In E major with quite a fun solo.  Can't get my fingers round the opening lick, though.

My band plays this.. I find this works.. E major scale descend on the b string.. 16-19-17-16 : 14-17-16-14 : 12-14-12
    Cheers, @bloodandtears - that's a lot more straightforward than the original.  Although I suspect that a combination of crap technique and first-gig nerves will mean that I stick to the even simpler version I've been doing up until now.  Got another two or three weeks to work on it, though.

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    “Cinnamon Girl” by Neil Young is a good one too. 
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    tFB Trader
    Theres a series on YouTube called "Understanding" various songs..  I am not technical at all but these vids really explain whats going on really well

Heres a couple of good ones

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    I love the concept but that Toto one is so wrong it's unbelievable.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • My Sharona - The Knack? Thats a pretty epic major solo!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2200
    Walk this way 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8493
    I just realised I didn't suggest the song I meant to.

See the Lights by Simple Minds. Epic.
    tFB Trader
    viz said:
    Really...  Which parts?   And I only ask cos I don't really know any better.
    edited February 2020
    Rabs said:
    viz said:

Ok well there are 3 sections:

Intro: he discusses it being in A major or C# minor. He plumps for A major. This is wrong; it's in C#m.
    Verse: he discusses it being in B or A. He plumps for A. This is wrong; it's in B.
    Chorus: he discusses it being in F# minor or A. He plumps for A. This is wrong; it's in F#m.

It's a triumph of maths over musicality. In the details he's great, talking about the many excellent features that are spattered throughout the song. But he just can't seem to hear the root note, and therefore he can't hear either of the modulations, insisting it's in A throughout, which is the one key the song's never in. It's bizarre. The Floyd one's spot on though.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    viz said:
    Rabs said:
    viz said:

Intro: he discusses it being in A major or C# minor. He plumps for A major. This is wrong; it's in C#m.
    Verse: he discusses it being in B or A. He plumps for A. This is wrong; it's in B.
    Chorus: he discusses it being in F# minor or A. He plumps for A. This is wrong; it's in F#m.

It's a triumph of maths over musicality. In the details he's great, talking about the many excellent features that are spattered throughout the song. But he just can't seem to hear the root note, and therefore he can't hear either of the modulations, insisting it's in A throughout, which is the one key the song's never in. It's bizarre. The Floyd one's spot on though.

Hmm. Ok, that is interesting and as you say odd.. He does seem to know his stuff...

I do find the presentation of these vids quite interesting though and the way he plays the notes or chords in the background as he is talking about them. Helps me understand what he is on about.
    Rabs said:
    viz said:
    Rabs said:
    viz said:

Hmm. Ok, that is interesting and as you say odd.. He does seem to know his stuff...

I do find the presentation of these vids quite interesting though and the way he plays the notes or chords in the background as he is talking about them. Helps me understand what he is on about.
    agreed
  • I really, really like upbeat major-scale-type rock. 
    Awesome :)
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10242
    I like Hit Me With Your Best Shot - even if it has a dodgy note in it. 

Is this what they call Crotch Rock? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited February 2020
    Oops - removed my vid there as I realised it's minor solo!!