So then ... amp making? I made a COMBO!!

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27607
edited February 2020 in Making & Modding
Take a bag of bits  (plus a speaker) ...

Add 10 mins to stick all the bits together  with some solder ...

Find a piece of scrap ply (actually, I found quite a few pieces, but this is the only piece you see today) and mark it out ...

And cut a big hole in the centre of it ...

Add speaker ...

Connect speaker to amp ...

Add battery, plug guitar in, and job's a good 'un!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72412
    What's the chip? It looks like some silly sod has scraped the numbers off it...

There used to be a Maplin kit like this with a TBA820M, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's one!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10417
    edited February 2020
    LM386 probably 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27607
    It really was pretty straightfoward.  It took longer to prep the ply for the speaker than it did to put the amp kit together, although the soldering had to be pretty precise, so you need a very fine point on your soldering iron, and a steady hand.

Better eyesight than mine would probably help too.

Kit came from these guys.  

I skipped the jamjar because I'll build a little box (properly acoustically tuned of course) to put it in.  That's a job for tomorrow.

OK, so perhaps it's not *quite* as refined as some of those booteek valvey amps that costs lots of moneys, but for £30-odd, it's a fun little project.

I've really enjoyed putting that together.

I'm actually half-tempted to look at one of the valvey amp kits now, or maybe even this @RiftAmps ;
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2020
    ICBM said:

There used to be a Maplin kit like this with a TBA820M, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's one!
    The kit instructions state

"I have removed the chip numbers so stop imitations"

I guess that's fair enough as they must have a reasonable margin on the kits (£25, excl speaker) that they're protecting.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10417
    TTony said:
    ICBM said:

The kit instructions state

"I have removed the chip numbers so stop imitations"

I guess that's fair enough as they must have a reasonable margin on the kits (£25, excl speaker) that they're protecting.
    Looks like a standard LM386 circuit to me, you can buy small 386 boards already built for £2 

circuit looks like this 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    When i was a lad and life was in black n white, I assembled the bits and some fero board to make something like this based on some electronics magazine of the day. I stuck it in a simple aluminium box with the wires hanging out to a little radio loudspeaker. Never did get around to finishing the speaker enclosure because it was just enourmous fun as it was. I even found it a couple of weeks ago (having given it to no 1 son who promptly abandoned it). I should put in a new battery (it's only been a few decades), perhaps a new speaker because the old one has a misshapen cone now and this time put it in a speaker enclosure.
    Seeing @p90fool and his pignose post when the poser went out made me think it would be a worthwhile project.

Nice little project there @TTony and much neater soldering that I managed I'm sure.
    As you can never put too much lipstick on a pig, I've just spent an hour or two turning my little amp into a proper COMBO!!

After a lot of scientific analysis, reading, and plain old trial and error, I found the best acoustic treatment too ...

:D
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ESBlonde said:
     I stuck it in a simple aluminium box with the wires hanging out to a little radio loudspeaker
    @ESBlonde - few bits of offcut ply and an hour or two in the workshop, and  you too could have a little combo
    ;)
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455
    I like that. Great little project to while away the winters night, and just the job for my caravan hols. That'll be my next project after my Amp Footswitch is complete.
    Is there any crunch at full volume?
    CeeJay said:
    Yes!

It's obviously only a small & cheap speaker, so it "crunches" (distorts) at pretty much any volume.      Be interesting to swap another speaker in and see what difference it makes.

And there's more than enough volume for simple practice.
    TTony said:
    CeeJay said:
    Yes!

It's obviously only a small & cheap speaker, so it "crunches" (distorts) at pretty much any volume.      Be interesting to swap another speaker in and see what difference it makes.

And there's more than enough volume for simple practice.
    What size speaker do you have in there. Looks around 4"
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    CeeJay said:
    I like that. Great little project to while away the winters night, and just the job for my caravan hols. That'll be my next project after my Amp Footswitch is complete.
    if you want slightly more control with just a little bit more soldering, the fuzzdog ruby/cricket amp sounds very good and can drive a speaker.
  • TTony said:
    As you can never put too much lipstick on a pig, I've just spent an hour or two turning my little amp into a proper COMBO!!

After a lot of scientific analysis, reading, and plain old trial and error, I found the best acoustic treatment too ...

Don’t leave it outside or a bird might make its home in it.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, 4" @ceejay.  ;
    bbill335 said:
    CeeJay said:
    if you want slightly more control with just a little bit more soldering, the fuzzdog ruby/cricket amp sounds very good and can drive a speaker.
    @bbill335 - what sort of speaker would work best with one of those kits?  And where would you source one?

I'm quite tempted to buy the kit, get a suitable speaker, and build another box.
    TTony said:
    bbill335 said:
    CeeJay said:
    @bbill335 - what sort of speaker would work best with one of those kits?  And where would you source one?

I'm quite tempted to buy the kit, get a suitable speaker, and build another box.
    This could be a thing!  :)
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    TTony said:
    bbill335 said:
    CeeJay said:

I built the noisy cricket, and it sounds great through a Marshall 4x12, I also tried it through a Marshall Class 5 cab, single 10 inch closed back, my next plan is to build another and incorporate a tiny 50mm speaker into the Hammond box they come with-if you buy the full kit.
    I found another circuit which also has a pre amp stage, so thats going to be an ongoing project for me.
    I've just nabbed a 6" 10 watt 4ohm speaker off e bay. It came out of a Fender Frontman. Watch this space!  :)
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I think, most of these things want to see 8ohm minimum, I am learning as I go, a 4x12 is usually 16 ohm right?