Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: The Paul Content

What's Hot

Comments

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19127
    I suspect that the word random needs to be totally redefined when discussing Gibson...
    Both my Paul's are 1979, one July one August, both have T-Tops.
    According to Gibson's own info. http://archive.gibson.com/Press/strings/pr/DirtyFingers.html   the Dirty Fingers were only available in the 1980's, but from Steve's & John's considerable experience, this can't be the case.
    I have heard (but never seen) of Tim Shaw's turning up in original Paul's, but frankly this just further muddies the situation.
    Confused? you bet I am  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Congrats to the op and hope you enjoy it. I had one in the 90s and have to confess I thought it was an uninspiring guitar - heavy, slim neck, ‘orrible pickups, didn’t even look like a proper Les Paul! Maybe I just had a duff one. I paid £300 for it and sold it a few months later for over £500 so can’t complain. 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14465
    tFB Trader
    Great info - I was trying to recall the price and was guessing £300 ish - I recall an LP Deluxe then, with case was £365

I recall Amrik's shops and adverts - Big hitter in his day and had 2/3 shops inc London and Birmingham if memory is correct
    Yes, I used to gig in the Chase T-shirt (blue and gold) that I got free on the cover of IM&RW.

List price was £299 retail including the Mk I protector case (wish I still had that) but I got money knocked off because of a small lacquer burn on the back caused by a stand.
    Just thinking back, I'm sure this was the 1st time we had a Gibson Guitar with the Protector case ??
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14465
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Most of the ones I've seen have had original Dirty Fingers, but I have seen one or two with T-tops. I'm sure they came with both, but I don't know if it's an earlier/later thing or more random.
    I think random, subject to warehouse supplies, but mainly Dirty Fingers
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8812
    MattNovak said:
    I saw a Gibson 'The Hawk' pop up on my FB feed this morning - never seen one before, cool guitar. Nighthawk shape with a wrapover bridge.

That's pretty cool.  Reminds me of my old B&G Little Sister, without the f-holes.  Also basically the same set up as my Gibson LP DC Studio...

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

^ Hawk is very nice. 
    As were the short lived Goddess range IMHO  ;)
    Image result for gibson les paul goddess
    There's a white one of those on eBay right now.  Albeit that the seller is after £1,699, which seems a trifle optimistic.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    Congrats to the op and hope you enjoy it. I had one in the 90s and have to confess I thought it was an uninspiring guitar - heavy, slim neck, ‘orrible pickups, didn’t even look like a proper Les Paul! Maybe I just had a duff one. I paid £300 for it and sold it a few months later for over £500 so can’t complain. 
    Oh no!  First impressions of mine pretty good: it's lighter than a full fat LP, I LOVE the neck, and while I've only plugged it in once to check the pups were working (crackly pots, but that's what contact cleaner is for) I gather these T-Tops are rather sought after...

Tonight is 'strip it down. clean it up and set it up' night, so then we'll see.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • Tbh it took me a wee while to totally get to grips with mine. Had a bit of work done to the frets (few replaced the rest tidied up), gave it a good set-up, and good clean. The pots weren't too bad but the switch (sure the switch is decent quality but I don't really like the design Tbh) and socket needed a bit of work. 
    I've had it a good few years now and love it. Has ended up kicking my strat off #1 spot.

Mine's July '79!  

Specifically 26/7/79, according to the Guitar Dater Project.

People write to the newspapers about these sorts of coincidences :D 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    JerkMoans said:

Mine's July '79!  

Don't know how significant it is (it really isn't), but mine is 31/7/79 so you found my guitar's long lost big brother!!  :'(   
    Looking at the absolute crap in TV schedules, there must surely be a family tree (sic) programme in this?  ;)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Think mine is 80/81?

Coincidentally similar age to my amp. Don't know how that happened. 
    Think mine is 80/81?

Coincidentally similar age to my amp. Don't know how that happened. 
    Fairly easy to check the details, https://www.gibson.com/Support/Serial-Number-Search
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72734
    edited February 2020
    All of them are post-1976, so will have the standardised 8-figure serial number in the form YDDDYNNN, where Y is the year, D is the day of the year (ie you can work out the exact date it was stamped) and NNN is the sequential number on that day. Numbers below 500 are from the Kalamazoo factory, numbers starting at 500 from Nashville.

I think The Pauls were all made in Nashville but I might be wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    All of them are post-1976, so will have the standardised 8-figure serial number in the form YDDDYNNN, where Y is the year, D is the day of the year (ie you can work out the exact date it was stamped) and NNN is the sequential number on that day. Numbers below 500 are from the Kalamazoo factory, numbers starting at 500 from Nashville.

Nashville for mine, according to the Dater Project website.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer

JerkMoans said:

Mine's July '79!  

Don't know how significant it is (it really isn't), but mine is 31/7/79 so you found my guitar's long lost big brother!!  :'(   
    Looking at the absolute crap in TV schedules, there must surely be a family tree (sic) programme in this?  ;)

Actually, where's that lad looking for ideas for documentaries? :D
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    ICBM said:

I don't think you are wrong (like that could be a thing), all of them were Nashville made according to everything I have seen.
  • '81 Nash.

Thanks IC.
    Right, fellow The Paulistas: I demand pictures.  Let's see 'em.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2020
  • It was the 80s....me and mine 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom