Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NGD: The Paul Content

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    And, in case any of you gone cats were wondering, I'm rather taken with my The Paul :)

Given it a good scrub and polish ce soir.  Liberal applications of lotions and potions to give that cove out of Silence of the Lambs a run for his money.  Used 3 walnuts lubing the fretboard, and after pondering what best to apply to the 'battered coffee table meets 300 year old barn' finish, what better than Lord Sheraton beeswax furniture polish?

Rather chuffed to find the date stamp in the control cavity, something I haven't seen before: and it conforms to the day with the Dater Project's assertion of its birthday.  So that's cool.

Pictures!

Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I just did a sex wee. 

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18925
    I just did a sex wee. 

Probably why it needed a good clean in the first place  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I just did a sex wee. 

Probably why it needed a good clean in the first place  ;)
    Sporadic incontinence just an occupational hazard of being around such opulently finished instruments. There’s special pants for it.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Does it happen when you are polishing your wood?
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    This is a good thread. I’ve swerved a few of these in the past when looking for my YOB ‘78 guitar.

Interesting that a good one is worth looking out for. I might keep a look out a few years ago they were only going for ~ £500.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    I actually find it amazing that anyone gets excited about how these look - for almost all the time they've existed people have been prepared to grudgingly put up with the dull brown things because of the fantastic way they play and sound. It is true that there are far uglier guitars, but I really can't think of many others that are quite so *plain*. I do like walnut as a wood too - but the finish on these does it no favours at all.

I've seen one that was stripped - I think after a particularly bad case of body seam separation was fixed - and refinished with gunstock oil, appropriately enough... that was much nicer. The plain headstock face could be improved with a black veneer as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    I actually find it amazing that anyone gets excited about how these look - for almost all the time they've existed people have been prepared to grudgingly put up with the dull brown things because of the fantastic way they play and sound. It is true that there are far uglier guitars, but I really can't think of many others that are quite so *plain*. I do like walnut as a wood too - but the finish on these does it no favours at all.

I've seen one that was stripped - I think after a particularly bad case of body seam separation was fixed - and refinished with gunstock oil, appropriately enough... that was much nicer. The plain headstock face could be improved with a black veneer as well.
    Yes. I don't know what the hell was going through the people at Gibsons minds at the time, as even a slight attempt at symmetry or matching the wood could have been tried, at no real additional cost.
    However, as I &@JerkMoans observed earlier, the whole idea of using what are usually premium woods, on a budget guitar is completely barking.
    Having said that, I still like to see natural wood & the quirky looks are not something that particularly bothers me.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7063
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    the fantastic way they play and sound
    apart from the one I bought 
    tFB Trader
    Yes. I don't know what the hell was going through the people at Gibsons minds at the time, as even a slight attempt at symmetry or matching the wood could have been tried, at no real additional cost.
    However, as I &@JerkMoans observed earlier, the whole idea of using what are usually premium woods, on a budget guitar is completely barking.
    Having said that, I still like to see natural wood & the quirky looks are not something that particularly bothers me.

I think they were just left over bits (see also Spotlight Specials) not normally wide enough for a body. Matching would be time-consuming, adding cost as would things like headstock facings.
    edited February 2020

I think they were just left over bits (see also Spotlight Specials) not normally wide enough for a body. Matching would be time-consuming, adding cost as would things like headstock facings.
    You mean these? https://www.vintageguitar.com/1759/gibson-les-paul-spotlight-special/
    If you do, then that's another pile of 'left over bits' that I'd really love to have 

Also, how would using Ebony as a fretboard on The Paul's save costs, in material or labour?
    tFB Trader

Also, how would using Ebony as a fretboard on The Paul's save costs, in material or labour?
    It was all "figured" (i.e. streaky) which nobody wanted on their Les Paul Custom
    Not being cheeky (honestly) but does this look streaky to you?
    Although, I'll admit it could do with a good clean  ;)

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited February 2020

It was all "figured" (i.e. streaky) which nobody wanted on their Les Paul Custom

Mine isn't. It's totally black all over. Maybe stained? Haven't noticed any on my fingers or anything like that. 
    I like plain 'boards.
    tFB Trader

Maybe it's darkened over time but in 1978 they were sold as having figured ebony boards. Mine had light brown streaks as did most I've seen since.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23034

Maybe it's darkened over time but in 1978 they were sold as having figured ebony boards. Mine had light brown streaks as did most I've seen since.
    This being Gibson, there were bound to have been some non-streaky boards which got mixed up with the streaky ones.  And no-one would have bothered to filter them back out again.
  • Just noticed they were reissued in 2018?
    edited February 2020
    Just noticed they were reissued in 2018?
    Yes, but the reissues are a different animal. Rosewood boards, nicely matched woods & a new Gibson price to match 
    Edit: https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/electric-guitars/les-paul/gibson-usa-2019-the-paul-40th-anniversary-walnut-vintage-gloss

Does it happen when you are polishing your wood?
    Almost invariably 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    ICBM said:
    the fantastic way they play and sound
    apart from the one I bought 
    Ah but you scored one of the super-budget ‘Stripy Fretboard’ models.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer