Behringer Air mixers? XR18 in particular

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6822
    Any hints for mixing without being able to hear properly? Let me explain..we use our Xair at rehearsals without a PA, jsut to drive our in ears, even with decent IEMs there a fair bit of bleed from the amps / drums.

So what ive taken to doing is recording practice then each week applying small tweaks but it seems like such a slow way to get there.

Should note that the goal here is prob a decent recording rather than a mix that would FoH suitable. 

Wear ear defenders over the in ears? That will add another 30db isolation to prevent ambient amp/drum kit bleed. Only about £20 from screw fix.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    ESBlonde said:
    Musicwolf said:
      The great thing about the XR18 is that you can play the recorded tracks back through the same channel and get a pretty good idea of the mix whilst not playing (I always find the perception of the mix changes if I playing at the same time).  If I can I'll bring another musician in, who isn't playing, to assist.

Whilst playback is a very useful facility it doesn't give a true FOH feel if there is a lot of volume coming off the stage via backline, so bear that in mind if the drummist is loud and the guitar uses a line 6 HX or practice amp.

Exactly and im kinda looking for the inverse of this as we typically play venue that have their own sound engineer and PA. I want to be able to exclude the backline noise and get a good recorded balance. Playing back through a PA or even into the IEMs seems like a pretty poor translation by the time I get it back to a sensible listening environment too. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited March 2020
    I think the new Line 6 Stagescape digital mixer is a generation beyond the behringers. 

Used one over Xmas with a function group . Very impressive.  Built in touch screen.  

https://uk.line6.com/stagescape-m20d/

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited March 2020
    I think the new Line 6 Stagescape digital mixer is a generation beyond the behringers. 

Used one over Xmas with a function group . Very impressive.  Built in touch screen.  

Is it new? Can only see 2nd hand units for sale, and hardly anything about them.

There are review videos back in 2012...

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31592

Is it new? Can only see 2nd hand units for sale, and hardly anything about them.

There are review videos back in 2012...
    I think it died a death because it supposedly needs the full speaker package to get the best out of it, but I'm sure if you found a cheap used one it would still be a useful mixer. 
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    GrahamG said:
    mike257 said:
    You can use mute groups from Mixing Station. Along the top menu bar, there's an icon that looks like a phone keypad - a load of squares. That pops the mute group buttons up. 

Alternatively, you could put the FX sends in to a DCA and mute from there. 

Definitely can be done on both the tablet and phone interfaces on Mixing Station.
    Thanks,i had tried the Group Mute from the section you indicated,but it doesn't seem like there is a button for the Mutes on the screen?.
    Also can you tell me if there is only 1 version of Mixing Station for the ipad,i keep seeing reference to a "pro" version or is that only for Andriod.
    You can probably tell i'm a bit slow with all this stuff,old age =)
    Apologies Graham, only just seen this. 

There's channel mutes for each individual channel on the main mixer screen. They're inactive unless you press the "Mute Enable" button on the right next to the layer buttons though, to stop people mistakenly knocking things on/off mid show. 

On Android, there's a free version of Mixing Station, and a Pro version that costs about a fiver and opens up some additional features like custom layouts and some other bits. Not being a regular iPad user, I'm not sure if it's the free one, the Pro one or both that are available on there. 
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited April 2020
    Danny1969 said:
    would you not have the drums into their own dedicated smaller desk then run the whole thing into the main mixer as one channel ?
    No, if you do that you can only adjust the level of the drums in your IEM's as a whole kit, everyone tends to want a different drum mix so it wouldn't really work .
    If toms aren't panned then they could be submitted and sent in on one channel:

Kik
    HH
    Snr
    Toms

Or some other combo.

Unless the band are *really* picky that would cover all the common requirements.