Best amp head for clean and pedals?

What's Hot
AbiF24AbiF24 Frets: 0
I'm looking to upgrade my gigging rig to a head and cab. I run the amp clean and stack distortions and I like a nice fat clean sound. Budget is up to 1000 pounds (UK) for the whole rig. Any suggestions? Needs to be able to gig with.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    edited February 2020
    Laney Lionheart L50H if you can find one, and the matching 2x12 or 4x12. 

A rig for life and the bonus of a superb drive channel too, even if you’ll never use it, and footswitchable reverb. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    A used kelly 50 watt head from the 60s/70s. Lots of headroom. Super cleans. Simple amp. Dirt cheap. 
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Mesa Boogie is known for the dirty channel but I have used one for years for its clean channel. With so many EQ knobs and sliders I can dial in whatever type of clean sound I am after.
  • If you're getting all of your drive from pedals then I'd get something like a Quilter Tone Block...

https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/review-quilter-tone-block-202

From whisper quiet to ear-splitting volume. Clean headroom for days. Great EQ Option to use XLR-out if you fancy it, and weighs a whopping 1.5kgs and is small enough to fit into a gigbag. Your back will thank you in years to come!

Should leave about £500 of your budget for a decent cab.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Dr Z EZG. No question. Need to pair it with a good 2x12 cab
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    sounds mental, but I ran a 100 watt Laney AOR clean channel cranked, gain low, any gain/fuzz pedal I threw at it sounded godly. And you will never run out of volume/headroom.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited February 2020
    Blackface bandmaster or bassman?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72327
    brooom said:
    Blackface bandmaster or bassman?
    Bassman especially, but unless you get a repro or a replacement output transformer with multi-impedance taps it's limited to 4 ohms - it will run safely at 8, but you lose quite a lot of the fullness.

A 70s Marshall Superbass would be another good valve choice - later JMP ones are still well inside that budget, but make sure it's a 4-input not 2... 2 is a better bass amp but not so good for guitar.

But I would probably go for a Quilter or other high-quality solid-state amp for that job.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
    edited February 2020
    StefB said:

A rig for life and the bonus of a superb drive channel too, even if you’ll never use it, and footswitchable reverb. 
    I couldn't have said it better...except to consider the L20H too. Both are superb. You'll also be left with £600-700 change if you get the head second hand!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    So many options, really depends what sort of base clean sound you are looking for.  Pretty much how I used to run my JTM45 which I loved.  I certainly wouldn't go or a Quilter, they sound awful IMO
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Marshall MG100HD sound great on clean + pedals. And keep the balance for more GAS.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Any musicman amp. Clean machines. Absolutely love pedals. I've got a few. Recently picked up a 150 watt head for 300 quid. It's awesome. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Some form of 4 input Marshall e.g. JTM45 or 1987x
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Some form of 4 input Marshall e.g. JTM45 or 1987x

Not as good as the EZG, I've owned/own both and the Dr Z is a beast. Clean, clear, full, bassy and neutral. Never found a pedal that didn't work superbly well. With a 1987 its not quite as good. Some pedals can be a bit hard on the ear (Red Snapper for one)
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1097
    I tried the new Fender Tonemaster Deluxe reverb last week and was really impressed by the clean tones and how it reacted with pedals.
  • Victory V40 + cab
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StefB said:

I couldn't have said it better...except to consider the L20H too. Both are superb. You'll also be left with £600-700 change if you get the head second hand!
    As an L20H owner, it will *not* do big clean sounds. Amazing overdrives, but it just does not have the headroom for the cleans.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    Puretone!

Takes pedals like a champ and stupid cheap second hand.

Marshall origin is great if you like Marshall cleans.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree with the Marshall Origin.
    Son has one and with his drive pedals sound really good.

• MikeBMikeB Frets: 176
    edited February 2020
    Might stretch the budget but I've always loved my Mesa Lonestar for cleans.