Irn Bru

What's Hot

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    RedRabbit;261116" said:
    jd0272 said:

I'm taking the family to Scotland next week. 

i) I hope it's open.ii) I hope that's not all that's for sale in the mixer aisle at the Lidl's that's 1.5 miles from Seton Sands.iii) I hope Loch Lomond is a bit closer than it looks on Google.iv) that the zoo has decent parking.

The parking at the zoo isn't too bad but it is an extra £4 on top of the tickets.  I think the car park actually belongs to the hotel.

Also, if you want to see the pandas book your tickets online and reserve a viewing ticket at the same time.  We got to the zoo at 10am and the earliest viewing available was at 4:30pm.  I might have waited it out but we couldn't expect my 4 year old niece to.

Yeah we've had 'the Panda' discussion. Ain't happening!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7301
    DiscoStu;261134" said:
    PolarityMan said:

irn bru is excellent, i liked it when you could still get it in those glass bottles that they gave you back a 10p deposit or whatever for.

You still get them
    In that case why did I ever move away?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    jd0272 said:
    Well, the weather might be ok.

Wifey wants to do the Ben Nevis cable car thing with the kids too. I've tried to explain it's a bit of a trek.
    It's not really worth it IMO. You don't get all the way to the top, and there's not much you can do at that level.
    My V key is broken
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72742
    It's not even a mountain anyway, more of a large molehill.

;)

When I went to Banff in Canada I was amused to notice that the town is higher above sea level than the top of Ben Nevis... and it's at the bottom of the valley :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5871
    The scariest "Pop" adverts is a toss up between Irn Bru with this one.

and Tango with this one

'Kin Mental.

8-X
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248
    Its a bloody disgrace that drinks like these and their evil food equivalents are allowed to be sold - why the hell would you want to put huge amounts of fructose/glucose and god knows what additives and colourings into your body? Why not try just drink straight non-buggered about with fruit juice, tastes a million times better and won't give you a gut the size of a car, fuck your blood sugar up and potentially if you believe what some research is showing increase your cancer risk.
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    *yawn*

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited June 2014
    I enjoy a wee dram o the bru from time to time. And it does taste better fresh from a "glass (gless) cheque".

Funny how the health risks of bru are being called into question but vodka's OK.
    If you were lacking in sugar it could save your life.:D
    LastMantra said:

Funny how the health risks of bru are being called into question but vodka's OK.
    Unless you're allergic to Sunset Yellow or Tartrazine and then have an asthma attack and die, which is what nearly happened to me the first time I drank some on a hot day not long after I came to Scotland...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    oddball said:
    Its a bloody disgrace that drinks like these and their evil food equivalents are allowed to be sold - why the hell would you want to put huge amounts of fructose/glucose and god knows what additives and colourings into your body? Why not try just drink straight non-buggered about with fruit juice, tastes a million times better and won't give you a gut the size of a car, fuck your blood sugar up and potentially if you believe what some research is showing increase your cancer risk.
    Contrary to popular belief fruit juice is not good for you, certainly not the much touted 100% Pure etc variants on supermarket shelves. Unless you squeeze it yourself you are most likely buying processed juice which can be just as bad at raising blood sugar as fizzy pop.
    Obviously there's less shit (technical term for crap) in fruit juice but the myth that it's good for you is bunk.

Whole fruits lower the risk of diabetes, especially blueberries a so-called 'superfood', fruit juices actually increase the risk of diabetes.

Obviously that massive glass of fresh orange when your hungover is still a good idea but glugging glass after glass of fruit juice is a bad idea.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • oddballoddball Frets: 248
    You're not wrong however and I quite agree that a lot of juices in the supermarkets aren't as 100% pure as the packaging suggests and in large quantities aren't so good for you however they are considerably better as a one-off drink than any of the popular carbonated drinks (diet varieties included).
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    edited June 2014
    ICBM said: LastMantra said:

Funny how the health risks of bru are being called into question but vodka's OK.If you were lacking in sugar it could save your life.:D
    Unless you're allergic to Sunset Yellow or Tartrazine and then have an asthma attack and die, which is what nearly happened to me the first time I drank some on a hot day not long after I came to Scotland...

There is no Tartrazine in Irn Bru, although it does have Sunset Yellow (E110) 
    and Ponceau Red (E124). I don't think it ever contained Tartrazine (E102), although the other two are bad enough.
    edited June 2014
    If it doesn't now, it did. I clearly remember reading it and wondering why they would need *two* nasty yellow-orange dyes in it. (Admittedly this is nearly 30 years ago, and I haven't checked since.) Although the colour probably explains it…

If it's been removed it's presumably because it's banned in a lot of countries with a more sensible approach to food additives.

Actually what's even more ludicrous is that you find this kind of crap in children's *medicines*. Unbelievable.

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Reminds me of lucozade and worming powder.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5871
    ICBM said:
    LastMantra said:

Crikey, that's quite a thing to happen.......a hot day in Scotland I mean.

Only kidding, that must have been pretty damn scary!

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12968
    I don't trust people who don't like Irn Bru. They're wrong 'uns, for sure. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    DiscoStu said:
    Move further north and we have this rare beast:

I don't think I even want to know what that is.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2909
    Pakistani Champagne we call it.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    It's alive with a new advert on the telly, involving the word fanny. Can't go wrong.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4932
    jd0272 said:
    It's alive with a new advert on the telly, involving the word fanny. Can't go wrong.
    My all-time favourite!

"She comes from a long line of Fannies!"

=))