Reappraising the 490R and 498T

What's Hot
Just put a set back in my LP.  Harmonically rich, crunchy as all hell, good definition... why are so many swapped out?
'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Grass is always greener innit!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4175
    I have them as stock in my 2016 SG Standard. I like them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RonantianRonantian Frets: 890
    I found them really unbalanced - neck way darker. But changing the cap on the neck pickup has worked for me.
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4000
    I was reasonably happy with the 498T, not keen on the 490R though. I have read about people switching the magnets to brighten the neck and take the edge off the bridge.
  • @gringopig ;

So you have your guitars fitted with 
    £10 Chinese humbucker clones then?

I'm playing clean through an EL84 Marshall.  No pedals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2916
    I think they’re perfect in an SG if you play anything heavy and aggressive which imo is what SGs are best for. I’ve used shit loads of pickups in mine and I wish I didn’t sell off the stock pickups as I’m now on the lookout for a set again as they’re great all rounders. I didn’t like them so much in a Les Paul where they go a bit muddy and dull. The 490r balances fine with the 498t in an SG. I don’t like super low output bridge pickups for an SG, it just sounds a bit limp to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19050
    Philtre said:
    I have them as stock in my 2016 SG Standard. I like them.
    2005 SG Standard, lovely, lively, crunchy :+1: 
  • Mine are in a '91 Studio, not a hint of mud :)
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I think my '05 Firebird Studio has these fitted but I'd have to look to be sure. 
    It sounds amazing whatever they are.
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7136
    I think they're fantastic, they used to be stock in a lot of LP customs no?
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • randellarandella Frets: 4297
    tony99 said:
    I think they're fantastic, they used to be stock in a lot of LP customs no?
    Yeah I have them in my ‘04 Supreme. Agree with the OP’s summary. Never felt the need for anything different in there, even having played a lot of guitars with a lot of different pickups down the years. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    TTBZ said:
    I think they’re perfect in an SG if you play anything heavy and aggressive which imo is what SGs are best for. I’ve used shit loads of pickups in mine and I wish I didn’t sell off the stock pickups as I’m now on the lookout for a set again as they’re great all rounders. I didn’t like them so much in a Les Paul where they go a bit muddy and dull. The 490r balances fine with the 498t in an SG. I don’t like super low output bridge pickups for an SG, it just sounds a bit limp to me.
    Each to their own but an SG with lower wind pickups sounds great to me. I ripped out those original pickups because unless I was playing with da crushin gainz toan it sounded dull and lifeless. I’ve still got the original pickups in the drawer but I can’t ever see a time I’d shove them back in.

For me, an SG is more about Robbie Kreiger, Paul Weller, Pete Townsend etc than da brootahlz or that mad bugger in a school uniform. And fitted with those original 490r/498t units, my SG didn’t sound anything like what I wanted it to. Now it does...

Like I say, each to their own.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8029
    I hated them. I much prefer a lower output humbuckers  I quite like the Classic 57 in an SG,  it if I was buying an SG, would have P90’s. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10896
    I had them in the early 90s studio Les Paul that I regret selling on a weekly basis. They actually sounded fab. The combo of 300k pots, zinc tailpiece and 498T bridge pickup makes a proper rocker out of a Les Paul. The 490R neck pup is sweet and plummy 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    I always find them brash, shouty and lacking dynamics but I threw a set in an old Korean Tokai Les Paul with a factory Bigsby and they suited it nicely tbh
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31692
    I know I always bang on about this, but a 498T with an A3 magnet is a great pickup. 

It loses the brashness and gains a softer, more dynamic feel, but is still hugely powerful. 

It always seems a waste not to spend a fiver trying it instead of spending a fortune on replacements. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2916
    edited March 2020
    impmann said:
    TTBZ said:
    Each to their own but an SG with lower wind pickups sounds great to me. I ripped out those original pickups because unless I was playing with da crushin gainz toan it sounded dull and lifeless. I’ve still got the original pickups in the drawer but I can’t ever see a time I’d shove them back in.

For me, an SG is more about Robbie Kreiger, Paul Weller, Pete Townsend etc than da brootahlz or that mad bugger in a school uniform. And fitted with those original 490r/498t units, my SG didn’t sound anything like what I wanted it to. Now it does...

Like I say, each to their own.
    I am guilty of using ALL THE GAINZ a lot of the time to be fair I don’t mind a hot PAF (9-10k) in them but i found my Bare Knuckle Mules really dull and characterless in this guitar. Although if it wasn’t my only guitar I’d probably just get another mid-hot output P90 for the bridge since I feel like they’re the ultimate match for an SG for raw and aggressive rock tones :)
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4905
    498T is a great pickup in my LP Standard, Dan from the Darkness uses them to good effect. Shame the 490R is a massive mudpie though..... 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.