Do I GAS or not

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
I've already got my lovely orange fade PRS CU24 and Suhr Pro S4 but I played a stunning pink Modern at the weekend. It's so much money, and I'm mainly playing acoustic. This is what happens, right... you stop gigging and then that's when you buy most gear!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    Suhr Moderns are great, I know I'm not helping... but I genuinely like them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    Get a boutique acoustic as well to balance things out ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Suhr Moderns rock although I thought I remembered you not liking them a while back. Obviously things can change, but be careful - you went through quite a decisive journey with the two PRS guitars and the Suhr as I'm sure you remember!! ;-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Jalapeno said:
    Get a boutique acoustic as well to balance things out ! ;)
    Got one - an Avalon to go with my Larrivee :)
    @hubobulous you're right! THis one felt great, though. And I love the bright pink lol. You know what I don't get... the bridge position is SO much louder than the other positions... or am I the only one that finds this?
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    I meant another ! ;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7180
    No, save your money. It is not like you can't find them easily enough, they are easy to buy and you already own a few good quality guitars.

stonevibe said:
    No, save your money. It is not like you can't find them easily enough, they are easy to buy and you already own a few good quality guitars.

Argh the voice of reason lol
    If it was a 'one off' used/vintage/custom etc I would say go for it. But its just a standard production guitar and so it isn't going anywhere soon.

Save your cash and go play your guitars that you already own.
    This makes a lot of sense, which is why I left the shop to think on it. A few times I've done that and regretted it (btw I'm starting to become a fan of jumbo frets). TBH the money would be better spent on singing lessons :lol:
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31727
    No. 

You'll end up either flipping it or feeling guilty for not flipping it once the novelty has worn off.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30319
    I always ask myself 2 questions:
    Do I need it?
    Would my cash be better spent on something else?
    I think you are generally better off changing strings on your existing guitar, getting it set up and just playing it.

Buying another guitar won't make you appreciate what you already own.

I buy guitars when they are one offs or old and therefore hard to find anywhere else. When it comes to new production models, I can't see any real reason to buy yet another guitar, I already own loads of great instruments.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12449
    I’d ask myself if the Modern is that much better than the CU24? If it is then maybe consider a part ex. If not, and it’s just gassing for the sake of it, then stick with what you have already. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3471
    If it's a used guitar at a good price always GAS, always! You can sell it later if it doesn't work out for you.
    If it's new, then think about all the guitars you already own and if this one would get some playtime or not. Also imagine how it must feel to lose roughly 40% of the price once you sell it used. For a Suhr this would be what... £500? That's some money.
    Yeah it'd be about £1k+ loss out the door.. 
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3471
    Yeah it'd be about £1k+ loss out the door.. 
    And as we know now, you can't even describe it "as new" later!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23249
    You know what I don't get... the bridge position is SO much louder than the other positions... or am I the only one that finds this?

I was reading an interview with John Suhr on the GuitarGuitar website yesterday and he actually mentions that specifically, seems he personally likes the volume difference between the H and S pickups.  It's about two thirds of the way down the page:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/news/140968/

• DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I think we all need to see the guitar to help you make the right decision.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 668
    If it's the one I think it is - just but a Modern Pro. I'll never understand how Suhr justify their ludicrous uncharges for custom models, particularly fancy woods.
    Philly_Q said:
    You know what I don't get... the bridge position is SO much louder than the other positions... or am I the only one that finds this?

I was reading an interview with John Suhr on the GuitarGuitar website yesterday and he actually mentions that specifically, seems he personally likes the volume difference between the H and S pickups.  It's about two thirds of the way down the page:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/news/140968/

Oh! It's actually quite a large drop in volume.... hmm..

@DanR it's bright pink - don't want to post incase somebody nabs it lol. I'll probably keep my money.