any advice for a numpty to fix a loose strap button easily?

What's Hot
racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1006
is there an easy fix for someone who isn't good at luthier,guitar set up etc?

if possible not resorting to using glue (as i will be certain to mess up my guitar tbh).

i have a set of schaller s type straplocks on order so will be fitting them.

thanks in advance
i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You could try cutting some lengths of a cocktail stick and putting them in the hole before you screw the strap button on (no need to use glue).  Some people use match sticks (having removed the striking material from the appropriate end of the match)... however, I'm never too sure about what chemicals could be in the match stick wood (which could affect the guitar finish etc)... and match stick wood is much more compressible than cocktail stick wood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12438
    You could try cutting some lengths of a cocktail stick and putting them in the hole before you screw the strap button on (no need to use glue).  Some people use match sticks (having removed the striking material from the appropriate end of the match)... however, I'm never too sure about what chemicals could be in the match stick wood (which could affect the guitar finish etc)... and match stick wood is much more compressible than cocktail stick wood.
    Exactly this.
  • Rich31kRich31k Frets: 795
    I was coming here to say cocktail sticks/match sticks and wood glue if needed. 

Might find the Schaller have a slightly wider thread than the old ones. I found that when I put them on my Gibson. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16806
    edited March 2020
    a dab of standard wood glue in there as well, with match or cocktail stick, will be fine.   screw it in whilst the glue is wet

Its water based and  can be cleaned up easily if you use too much, either wipe with a wet cloth whilst wet, or peel off when dry
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2916
    I’ve always just wedged a couple of craft matchsticks in there with some wood glue and trimmed flush with the body. Seems to do the job most of the time. If these keep coming out you might need to drill out enough to put some dowel in there, glue that in tightly and then re-drill into the dowel.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited March 2020
    You probably don't even need the glue if you pack it tight, and you're worried. I've used slightly bigger/longer stainless screws in a couple of guitars because the ones that came out were pretty crappie and it just made it more solid (have done the same with scratch plate screws etc as well). If you're struggling to get the screw in put a spot of bees wax or something on it as a lubricant. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    Cocktail sticks are your friends !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14452
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    a dab of standard wood glue in there as well, cocktail stick, will be fine.   screw it in whilst the glue is wet

my method as well - ensure the hole is packed nice 'n' tight
  • vizviz Frets: 10733
    You can even pack a few cocktail sticks in, then screw the screw in and back out again, then another 2 cocktail sticks into the hole, with glue this time, then I prefer to leave to set. Then you have a really good medium to screw into. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8777
    The Schallers generally come with a larger diameter screw than the original. This might solve, or at least ease, you problem. I prefer cocktail stick to matchsticks. The wood is harder, which means the fix is more solid, and smaller diameter which makes them easier to fit in. Don’t forget the wood glue.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72700
    The strongest of the lot is to use wood glue, pack the hole tightly with cocktail sticks, then put the screw in with the glue wet - no drilling, before or after. It compresses the wood fibres around the remains of the old damaged thread and then sets stronger than the wood itself. (As it says on the bottle!) Any wood glue will do, standard cheap PVA is fine, or even ‘household white glue’ which is basically just a version of it.

I've fixed literally thousands of stripped screw holes like that, from pickguard screws to Fender neck bolts - but it will work without the glue if it’s a situation where you don’t have time or the glue to hand. Just make sure you check it every now and again if you haven’t used glue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Jalapeno said:
    Cocktail sticks are your friends !

Yes... it's true, they are my only friends.
    Maybe I should get out more.
  • racefaceec90racefaceec90 Frets: 1006
    thanks everyone for the tips 
    i like cake :-) here's my youtube channel   https://www.youtube.com/user/racefaceec90 

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2335
    If using cocktail sticks, make sure you remove the cheese and pineapple or cocktail sausage off it first.
  • edenfield99edenfield99 Frets: 349
    Adey said:
    If using cocktail sticks, make sure you remove the cheese and pineapple or cocktail sausage off it first.
    Or if your tastes are more refined remove the olive or maraschino cherry, lick of the remnants of whatever cocktail you have been imbibing and you’re good to go  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4215
    Cocktail stick and wood glue here . I don’t use matchsticks as they are a bit softer . Worked a treat on my les Paul 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72700
    I actually use kids lollipop sticks split down to square section with a knife blade... if you have kids you may have a nearly inexhaustible supply of these :).

They’re actually made from beech, by the look of it - quite a decent hard wood.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SargeSarge Frets: 2429
    Adey said:
    You could always leave the cheese and pineapple on, to feed to the drummer when he's done a good job. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    Being a non smoker I dont have any matchsticks so i use the wooden stirring sticks you get with take away coffee. Cut and pack in the hole with a dab of glue.