The Gibson litigation machine rolls on Heritage now in the cross hairs

What's Hot
Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1795
Seems Gibson new owners have a huge legal team on retainer and are now having a shot at Heritage who is suing to prove they have not broken their historical agreement. Really do feel Gibson are really just trying to litigate and undermine their competition at this point. 

https://guitar.com/news/gibson-sued-by-heritage/?fbclid=IwAR0jZWMf3FWtp59RtE-JV5A93HHLLX9IhjkTlkgrykddbtcFZ7Y4yfMOqos

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Oh man not another one... Gibson why :')
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1795
    Yeah, I could not believe it when I read the article. As much as Heritage has its fanboys and they are good guitars people say. Not sure why Gibsons lawyer reckons the only way can stop infringing is to go out of business. I presume its picking on the weak as I seem to recall a few years back Heritage were touch and go financially. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    This is not doing their public image any good, is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIAZ8unRm2c
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I presume its picking on the weak as I seem to recall a few years back Heritage were touch and go financially. 
    I wouldn't be surprised if that were Gibson's attitude, since they've not had much luck going after PRS and the like.

Feel like some official precedent needs to be set about guitar shapes, make them public domain or something, before Gibson manages to successfully shut a company down or squanders their own goodwill even further.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3983
    It’s pointless, Heritage etc are not causing any damage. If someone wants a Gibson they will buy one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Super disappointed to hear that Gibson is still doing this, and this (and patchy quality) means they won’t get any of my custom. I hope Heritage (and others) have some way out of this, even if through the courts. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    edited March 2020 tFB Trader
    I hope they go down the plug hole if they carry on doing this nonsense, but if they'd only concentrate on making good guitars for reasonable money they'd be loved again, people love the brand not the idiots running it
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30300
    The only Gibson I own is an SG.
    I shall be chopping it up for firewood this afternoon.
    That's how strongly I feel about this issue.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1196
    Someone should change their name to Gibson Les Paul, like Joe Lycett who changed his name to Hugo Boss.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3338
    You need to be seen to be actively protecting your copyrights to retain the copyright. At least that’s what I’ve been told so it makes sense really. There is no expectation of winning, only to be seen protecting your claims. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18854
    Sassafras said:
    Photo's please, or it didn't happen  ;)
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Sassafras said:
    This calls for an adult, because you might hurt yourself, so let me do that for you. I'll come by in a half hour or so. Okay?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10297
    Sassafras said:
    Photo's please, or it didn't happen  ;)

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tabanotabano Frets: 100
    I love les pauls, 
    they are great,
    I hate Gibsons though...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72483
    It’s a pity I’m not in the market for a new Gibson now, or I’d be very tempted to buy a Heritage while documenting the entire process, and post the link on Gibson’s forum...

I’ve actually always thought Heritages were very different from equivalent Gibsons despite their company history - better in some ways, worse in others, but definitely not something you would buy if you want a Gibson.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2902
    edited March 2020
    I just checked out these Heritage guitars.. anyone who was complaining about the Epiphone headstock shape will surely have a field day over this one. It's horrid. I'm sure they're nice guitars and all but for those prices I'd want perfection!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3297
    That Heritage headstock is really ugly, even I managed to make mine better looking than that
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4845
    I've gone past caring, it's what some big businesses do Gibson being no exception. Plenty of other companies doing far worse in the world that we don't hear about. 

I'd still buy a Gibson, if I didn't already have two, still fancy a 335 or similar and a V but don't have the cash so hey ho!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7044
    I like the headstock, but ISTR that it used to have an indent, not a point. Was that part of the settlement with Gibson?

Edit, I must have imagined that, confused with Hamer maybe?
  • brooombrooom Frets: 1175
    edited March 2020
    They can't blame it on the old CEO anymore.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom