A little trading price advice please.

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I am thinking of trading in my barely used immaculate Classic series 50’s Fender Stratocaster in daphne blue for one of the new Epiphone Les Paul specials in TV Yellow. I was hoping one of you fine people could advise on what kind of trade price I would be looking at please? The store would likely be PMT, do they offer fair trade prices? Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Sell the Strat first, then you can buy the Epi and have change.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Yeah as above. Those Strats get good money:)
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2396
    The fairest shop price will be at best 2/3 of the money you'd get selling it, because they then need to sell it at that higher price themselves and make a profit.
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4168
    Go on eBay  buy a guitar packing carton . Get some old cardboard, bubble wrap , whatever you can find . Pack it up securely . Starts travel really well. Someone sent me a charvel in bubble wrap and a bin bag !!!!!! Weigh it measure it  go to Interparcel .com  enter weight ,measurements  get a quote for delivery to somewhere a long way away . It should be about £40.

go to eBay do a search on your type of guitar. Go to completed items and look at green prices ones like yours have sold for. Choose a price commensurate with what you think yours deserves eg condition compared to ones sold.  List your item for the said price ,bearing in mind £40  for UPS and a PayPal fee , eBay fee if you are not using £1 final value.  Wait for the buyers.

you could undercut everybody else and still get a better deal than a shop. All you have to do is wait for ups to collect your parcel and you’re golden 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I really don’t think I can cope with the rigmarole of waiting for the guitar to sell, boxing it up and shipping it and having that dreaded wait to see if the buyer is happy with it just to save a few quid. I’d much rather take it into the store, hand it over, them hand me the guitar I want and cash changes hands either way as long as it’s not a ridiculous trade in price. So, if anyone has experience of trade ins with PMT I’d like to hear how it went for you and Wether you got a reasonable price please. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    They will want to sell at two thirds new and will want around a 30% margin so expect about 40% of street price back.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    It’s not a great rigmarole it just sounds it when described. Be shame to let it go for £250 to £300 when it should be more assuming I’ve got the right model  50s classic player strat. You really want to be getting  £475 to £500. 

Theres a lovely sea foam one  went for only £300 . When I looked at the listing it was collection only. If she had just bothered to offer postage she could have got probably £475 .

It’s not a great rigmarole it just sounds it when described. Be shame to let it go for £250 to £300 when it should be more assuming I’ve got the right model  50s classic player strat. You really want to be getting  £475 to £500. 

Theres a lovely sea foam one  went for only £300 . When I looked at the listing it was collection only. If she had just bothered to offer postage she could have got probably £475 .

No it’s the classic series, not player so it has the 7.25” radius fretboard and skinny frets making it less desirable. 
  • Totally understand your position re the trade in, though I think you’d lose out on this. I was in the exact same position recently as it happens. 

I decided to purchase the new guitar on PayPal credit (therefore getting 4 months interest free-so 4 months to sell the other!) listed my guitar (50s classic series in sunburst-so same as you but different colour) on the Friday On eBay (with £1 final fees) and had sold it by sat morn for £475 delivered-fair price for both parties I think. Yes the delivery is a little bit of a hassle but strats are ok and £35 will get you insured up to £500. 

However-if you really don’t want to do that I suspect you’d get offered something between £250-300 for the guitar against that Epiphone at PMT and imagine they would re-sell it for £499.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3624
    Why not advertise your strat on here?

An immaculate Daphne blue '50's sounds lovely. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    You just need a willing buyer in Hants who will pay more than PMT... oh, hang on  :o
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    The only downside to it which I had forgotten until now is that it has fret buzz on the fourth fret. That would obviously be reflected in the price. I can’t take it to PMT until the end of April anyway as it is packed away ready for the move which isn’t a problem as they don’t have the Specials in stock yet anyway.
    I imagine the fret buzz could easily be rectified by the buyer with a good setup
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    nowhere have the specials in stock
  • dont know where you are but you can offer it cash and collect only, on ebay, gumtree, here. no law saying you have to offer postage. this is what i always do, sure you are limiting your market and it may take longer to sell but you only need one buyer and you can achieve the price you want.
    dont know where you are but you can offer it cash and collect only, on ebay, gumtree, here. no law saying you have to offer postage. this is what i always do, sure you are limiting your market and it may take longer to sell but you only need one buyer and you can achieve the price you want.
    Yes after some thought I think I may do this, once I’m in my new place I’ll take some pictures and get it advertised. I’m not sure how much to advertise it for, I’ll do some searching to see what others have gone for but apart from the fret buzz it is immaculate having only been played for 15-20 minutes. The only reason it’s for sale is gas for the new Epi Les Paul Special and the fact I already have a different Fender Stratocaster. Someone will get a nice guitar!
    mark123 said:
    nowhere have the specials in stock
    That’s not a bad thing at the moment! It’ll give the old GAS a chance to die down.
    edited March 2020
    Fuengi said:
    You just need a willing buyer in Hants who will pay more than PMT... oh, hang on  o
    @Fuengi when I am in my new place at the end of April and if you’re still interested you’re more than welcome to come and see it/play it. As mentioned in one of the posts above it does have some fret buzz on the fourth fret but that will be reflected in the price.

Edit: Does anyone know of anywhere in the south that has the new Epi Les Paul Special in stock please?
    zepp76 said:
    Fuengi said:
    You just need a willing buyer in Hants who will pay more than PMT... oh, hang on  o
    @Fuengi when I am in my new place at the end of April and if you’re still interested you’re more than welcome to come and see it/play it. As mentioned in one of the posts above it does have some fret buzz on the fourth fret but that will be reflected in the price.

Edit: Does anyone know of anywhere in the south that has the new Epi Les Paul Special in stock please?
    According to the online sales team at PMT all shipping lanes have been halted so there will be no stock for the foreseeable future. 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    zepp76 said:
    zepp76 said:
    Fuengi said:

According to the online sales team at PMT all shipping lanes have been halted so there will be no stock for the foreseeable future. 

:o