Les Paul Custom Hunting/Advice

What's Hot
I've very sadly had a close relative pass away quite suddenly and they knew of my love of all things guitar and have left me a little bit of money. Now i've actually got a bit of money put away myself that I had earmarked as my "Les Paul Custom....one day" fund. So i'm looking at combining the funds to finally get myself one and I intend on it being a guitar that will definitely not be sold on for several reasons.

Now this leads me to the difficult few questions;

1. New (as the new customs seem to be back in the right direction) or Used?

2. What year if I hunt for used ( I always liked the idea of a birth year one, but finding a mint 1987 custom is likely to be very difficult within my budget)

3. Where the hell do I find used Mint/excellent condition Customs? I live in the north near Middlesbrough.

Thanks guys, my budget is approx £3k and i'd be wanting an Ebony LPC.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14333
    tFB Trader
    You should be able to find a nice used LP Custom for 3K-ish, either via a shop or the usual private channels - Even a 1987 model - You might not find one today, or this week but surely part of the thrill of the find is taking your time to find the right example - Around 1987 and no issues with an ebony board - In recent years this has been a hit 'n' miss situation with Gibson

As far as a particular year to look for, then IMO no definitive answer - Some might give you a definitive 1989 is best or 1990 is best, but you can find a good example in good condition from many years across the 80's and 90's and even the 70's - Certainly when you consider feel, tone, condition, playability - equally you can find a mediocre example from many years but you'd soon ignore such an example once examined

IMO I'd look for a nice used example and be patient until the 'Les Paul Custom -----One day' materialises  - Based on your comments of 'inheritance funds' then I can see why you'd suggest 1987 so maybe go with this option as it obviously will always mean something to you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Great advice. I'd also say if you can't find a particular year immediately then buy something close, or maybe a more recent one, maybe even try a few before the right one eventually becomes available.

Personally I'd avoid 70s/early 80s if you value your back working properly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    clarkefan said:
    Great advice. I'd also say if you can't find a particular year immediately then buy something close, or maybe a more recent one, maybe even try a few before the right one eventually becomes available.

Personally I'd avoid 70s/early 80s if you value your back working properly.
    I forgot to chat about the weight and yes there are many heavy examples - For one reason or another, LP Custom' s tend to always come in with a higher reading than an LP Standard regarding weight

Another point of contention for some is the gold hardware - On most used examples you'll come across, then all/most will show various signs of fade/wear/pitting - It is just part 'n' parcel of gold hardware - Personally I would not worry about it, providing, the feel, tonal character etc is as what it should be
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72549

What year if I hunt for used ( I always liked the idea of a birth year one, but finding a mint 1987 custom is likely to be very difficult within my budget)

Thanks guys, my budget is approx £3k and i'd be wanting an Ebony LPC.
    I don't think that's true - well, finding a *mint* used guitar second hand always is, but I think you could easily get a good to excellent used condition '87 Custom for around £3K.

I would take one over a new one at the same price every time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031
    I'd keep an eye on gumtree / Ebay / Reverb / gbase.com and see what pops up, like this:

Weight is always the issue with Customs as they tend to be heavy, mine must be about 12 pounds, sounds great but you would not want to do a whole gig with it :)
  • Thanks for the heads up all. My initial gut feeling is to buy used and a late 80's one if i can. Tarnish of the gold etc isn't something i'm too worried about. I'd just like to find something in as best condition as possible so I can keep it for some years. It'll be getting played, just not sure if i'd dare take it into live rotation. 

The biggest issue is physically getting the chance to try them as the north east isn't really home to a large population of vintage gibson guitars. ha!
    tFB Trader
    Thanks for the heads up all. My initial gut feeling is to buy used and a late 80's one if i can. Tarnish of the gold etc isn't something i'm too worried about. I'd just like to find something in as best condition as possible so I can keep it for some years. It'll be getting played, just not sure if i'd dare take it into live rotation. 

The biggest issue is physically getting the chance to try them as the north east isn't really home to a large population of vintage gibson guitars. ha!
    You'll be lucky if you find a choice of such models in any one store on any particular day anywhere in the UK - Take your time and try a few over the coming weeks, but be it the NE or SE and they are not lined up on dealers walls 'ten a penny' - But be patient and you'll find one 
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
  • I bought a used one recently, being in the North West they are a bit thin on the ground, but they do pop up every now and then.

I think Andy Baxter (Leeds) had a 90's Ebony Custom for sale, seemed to be hanging around for a while then reduced.

Try reverb, Ebay, Gumtree. (Although ebay has lots of overpriced fixed price listings that never sell)

1975-1986 ish can be found for around 2k (Norlin era, maple 3 piece neck, weight varies)

Some say 1987-on they really tightened up the specs, went back to a mahogany neck, made really good LP's up to about 2000 when the quality went off a bit.  Can go for 2-2.5k on ebay.

Pickups varied a few times in the late 80's.

90's onwards they did some black beauty re-issues, Mahogany cap like the original Custom,  with '57 classic pickups which are a Gibson's PAF replica.

The newer customs do not have ebony wood fretboards if that matters, it's now some sort of composite material.

Definitely try a few from different eras, they all feel and sound slightly different. Enjoy the hunt!

• jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2020
    My mate has a 2000 and it’s under 9lbs, but it’s a lovely guitar. Other than the usual “minor cosmetic issues”. I’ve also recently tried a late 80’s one that was quite heavy. But someone had Zak Wylde-d it with EMG’s and massive frets. I dunno if that’s a common practice with 80’s ones? 

I always say try loads & get the guitar you bond with. Which might not necessarily be what you wanted on paper. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3991
    The 57 and 68 reissues are nice, the regular Custom moved to the custom shop in 2004, I’ve had a couple of those and they have been nice, just more modern spec wise.
    tFB Trader
    The 57 and 68 reissues are nice, the regular Custom moved to the custom shop in 2004, I’ve had a couple of those and they have been nice, just more modern spec wise.
    Can't recall the exact dates, but for a while I recall there was no LP Custom within the range

+ when did Gibson first bring in the Richlite option
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    edited March 2020
    Shoutout for the ones with the staple pickup in the neck. I always thought those have a very cool, unique sound.
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    telehack said:
    Shoutout for the ones with the staple pickup in the neck. I always thought those have a very cool, unique sound.
    Yes that would be the one I'd want. Look gorgeous too. 
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    There’s an ‘81 in the classifieds 
  • chris45chris45 Frets: 221
    telehack said:
    The 57s do have a great sound but you need to try a Fretless Wonder first as the low fret size is not for everyone.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18932
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    chris45 said:
    telehack said:
    The 57s do have a great sound but you need to try a Fretless Wonder first as the low fret size is not for everyone.
    Would the reissues be of the fretless wonder variety too? I was thinking they would have normal frets.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    telehack said:
    chris45 said:
    telehack said:
    Would the reissues be of the fretless wonder variety too? I was thinking they would have normal frets.
    The reissues have normal medium-jumbo frets.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    They always seem to be everywhere until you actually want to buy one :-) I had my hunt a little while ago and ended up with a neck repair 57 reissue for just north of 2k. You have a bigger budget though for an heirloom too so I am also of the opinion that you should hold out for a birth year, unless something really takes you