Guitar hangers. Plasterboard

What's Hot
StevepageStevepage Frets: 3055
Looking to get 4 of my guitars hung up on the wall of my spare room. In the past i've used Hercules hangers but they were fixed to a brick wall.

Would these still hold up on plasterboard? or is there anything I should consider?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3662
    I have a couple of Hercules hangers on plasterboard fixed with these

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14305
    tFB Trader
    You can still use the Hercules hangers but you'll need to get appropriate fixings for the plasterboard - This will apply to any hanger - Sorry but I'm not sure which are the best fixings but I'm sure some good FB DIY guys can help

Or fit a wood panel on the wall, with appropriate fixings, then screw the Hercules brackets to the wood facia/panel
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

• You could put a separate strip of wood or board that fixes into the vertical studs, which would give you several good anchor points, then fix your wall hangers onto that.

Something like this - https://www.guitargear.net.au/discussion/index.php?topic=50372.15
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    Definitely put in a batten or wood strip.  If you make this long enough, you can fix into the uprights the stud wall is fixed to - you may need a stud detector to locate these.  If you're confident that the wooden batten / panel is attached securely at several points, then I'd test it by gripping it and applying significant downward pressure.  If there is no movement and it seems secure, you can then attach the guitar hangers to the wood.

If you're not sure what you're doing, it could be worth getting a handyman who is competent to do this for you?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    I would suggest there has to be some coupling between the hanger and the studs either directly screwed in or, as above, by screwing a board into the studs and the hangers into the board. I've seen quite a few prized instruments with irreparable damage where plasterboard has failed or rawlplugs haven't been fit properly.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Musicwolf said:
    I have a couple of Hercules hangers on plasterboard fixed with these

Or these.

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • randellarandella Frets: 4196

You could put a separate strip of wood or board that fixes into the vertical studs, which would give you several good anchor points, then fix your wall hangers onto that.

Something like this - https://www.guitargear.net.au/discussion/index.php?topic=50372.15
    Another vote for this - I used a plank of softwood, some Fischer fixings, and a shedload of Gripfill for good measure.  The glue spreads out the load; my walls are dot-and-dab so even with the mega good plugs, fixing strength is a bit hit and miss.

Once it all dried, I swung my entire body weight from it, so it's more than capable of holding my six guitars.

On plasterboard, I'd go with the others' suggestions and locate the studs to screw into, rather than relying on plasterboard fixings alone.
  • cordcord Frets: 0
    Not always possible to find a stud in the right place behind your drywall, I have used hollow wall anchors to good effect: https://www.diy.com/departments/fischer-steel-hollow-wall-anchor-l-52mm-pack-of-4/1639069_BQ.prd

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3055
    Brilliant thanks gents. Pretty much what I thought but good to get info from those who may be more informed.
  • MattPMattP Frets: 252
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16113
    richh said:
    Definitely put in a batten or wood strip.  If you make this long enough, you can fix into the uprights the stud wall is fixed to - you may need a stud detector to locate these.  If you're confident that the wooden batten / panel is attached securely at several points, then I'd test it by gripping it and applying significant downward pressure.  If there is no movement and it seems secure, you can then attach the guitar hangers to the wood.

If you're not sure what you're doing, it could be worth getting a handyman who is competent to do this for you?
    YES ABSOLUTELY
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9697
    Dominic said:
    richh said:

YES ABSOLUTELY
    ^ This. I was speaking to a plasterer a few months back who told me that if someone wants to attach a flat screen TV, bathroom cabinet, whatever to a plasterboard wall he would remove a section and replace it with wood. He reckons he's lost count of the number of people calling him after using the 'proper' fittings and finding their flat screen TV, bathroom cabinet, whatever lying broken on the floor the following morning.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3055
    TBF I put up my 49" TV on the wall using those Gripit fixings back in November and it's still up and stable. 
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2205
    Isn't it better to put it in the case when not using?  I don't quite understand the point of hanging guitars on the wall really.  
  • Fishboy7 said:
    Isn't it better to put it in the case when not using?  I don't quite understand the point of hanging guitars on the wall really.  
    for me it's simply down to  floorspace, and cases take up lots of room too 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31629
    Definitely attach a batten to the wall studs first, plasterboard fixings are still only as strong as the plasterboard.

Unless your neighbours don't mind having a big wing nut on their bedroom wall. 
    :)
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Yep. Always locate and use the vertical studs. And use a wooden batten where possible. Especially for anything heavier than an acoustic. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12385
    Fishboy7 said:
    I found that if my guitars are in cases I don’t get them out to use, I’ll just grab the one on top of the pile. If they’re hanging up and easily available then they all get played. And, as said, the bonus is it keeps the floor clear. 
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Have 2 Hercules hangers up with Fischer metal cavity wall fixers- the expanding umbrella design ones. Had to over-drill/ widen the holes in the wooden part of the hanger to accept larger diameter screws for these fixings. Have my Jem and an acoustic on them. I wouldn’t put my 9lb R8 up, although it would probably be fine.