Guitar hangers. Plasterboard

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    On the cautious side... who put up the stud wall? And did they do a good job?

reason I say that, just renovated a house and there was a stud wall... I suspect the builders also put a post outside to tie their horse to!...

Those stud wall fixings will prolly rip through the plasterboard and top coat under the weight of a guitar...

best bet is to find the vertical timbers and fix to those... don’t fix to the noggins as they won’t be strong enough either...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3055
    It's a new build house. Built by Taylor wimpey, only bought the house in November. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31621
    Stevepage said:
    It's a new build house. Built by Taylor wimpey, only bought the house in November. 
    Ah. Definitely buy a floor stand then. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    Jalapeno said:
    Musicwolf said:

The Shopfitters friend.... I swear by these available at B and Q, made by Diall. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I couldn't find a better pic, but this is my office with weak walls.  I used the support beam method, 3 years and still going strong.  It holds 6 guitars, including the worlds heaviest Les Paul...

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3055
    p90fool said:
    Stevepage said:
    Ah. Definitely buy a floor stand then. :)
    Usually, I'd agree but this house is pretty well built. I was surprised as friends bought a new flat a few years back and that was awful.
  • MattP said:
    ive got 10 hanging using Gripit fixings and they are by far the best 

• Balrog68 said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Musicwolf said:

The Shopfitters friend.... I swear by these available at B and Q, made by Diall. 
    I don’t rate these at all. Over tighten them ever so slightly and they’re ruined as they spin. 

You then can’t get the screw out and worse still they take all the plasterboard our with them  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CeeJayCeeJay Frets: 455

Balrog68 said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Musicwolf said:

I don’t rate these at all. Over tighten them ever so slightly and they’re ruined as they spin. 

You then can’t get the screw out and worse still they take all the plasterboard our with them  
    Yes, They are ok for light weight jobs that won't be touched/moved. I certainly wouldn't trust them to hang a guitar off. As others have said, the only safe method is finding studwork, either to hang the hanger directly, or to screw a batten to. Why take a chance?

Balrog68 said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Musicwolf said:

If you don't know how to use them properly they can be troublesome, the trick is to pre-drill instead of letting them self drill and tighten by hand. There is no substitute for hitting the the studwork tho, as has been said. 

Balrog68 said:
    Jalapeno said:
    Musicwolf said:

If you don't know how to use them properly they can be troublesome, the trick is to pre-drill instead of letting them self drill and tighten by hand. There is no substitute for hitting the the studwork tho, as has been said.