Can't see how smaller music stores can survive now - and maybe not even some of the bigger stores

What's Hot
VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4784
edited March 2020 in Guitar
The Covid19 is wiping out businesses left right & center.  Even the big boys with sleek online facilities and large warehouses are going to be struggling to stay afloat with a loss of footfall and customers deferring buying stuff until there is greater financial stability.  A lot of folk including me have taken a real battering on their pension funds (I've already lost £140,000 and I suspect it's going to get even worse before it gets better), so buying gear is the last thing on my mind at the moment and I suspect that sentiment is expanding fast. 

We were looking for a 'new' ex demo car for my wife, but that's on hold now and have cancelled test drives re 'social distancing' and our current cars haven't been used since last week - so there's just no point in buying anything right now. 

I'm not saying everyone will stop buying but even 'collect only' sales on Ebay will be hit as most folk now won't be prepared to drive/travel and have unnecessary social contact.  

Even before Covid19 we've seen loads of music stores (including famous ones like Ivor Maraints), close. But there has never been a global event like this before - it's impacting on gear manufacturers too, so even if stores do manage to sell existing stocks, getting new stock will become an increasing problem as factories shut down.  

Right now, it's becoming like a dystopian nightmare and there are of course a lot more important things to worry about than music gear - but I feel genuinely sad for self-employed folk who don't have the support and security of a big employer behind them, including guitar techs, luthiers, and smaller amp builders who's businesses may simply not survive, and of course those playing in bands for a living are going to suffer too as venues close. 

Schools are closing (My wife's a teacher) and my daughters and I are in professions where we can work from home so we're luckier than a lot of folk. But things are getting more frightening by the day.  o

So I really just want to wish everyone here well, hope you and your families and loved ones all stay well and safe...and do your best to hang on in there and keep rocking. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9793
    edited March 2020
    Sadly, I reckon you’re right. I’ve recently been considering a new Strat and, possibly, a new amp. However that’s now on hold until things have settled somewhat. I’m sure plenty of potential customers are thinking likewise.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3504
    Me when I see a listing on ebay that's for collection only:

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6964
    Covid isn't stopping me buying anything.

Not having any money is.  
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 492
    I’d also think that playing a guitar that several others have played within the previous 24hrs is possibly a good way to transmit the virus. - a further reason to avoid shops/buying used right now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6964
    I thought it could only survive 12hrs outside the body. Go at opening time before anyone else has touched them!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1207
    Wear surgical gloves with thimbles on the end, like Iommi.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72888
    Yes, it’s going to be very tough for the smaller shops, including the ones like the one I work for which relies on repair work rather than sales, so in normal times was under less direct threat from online competition.

Let’s hope Mr. Sunak is as good as his word and will provide enough help to at least get us through the crisis. Afterwards, who knows... the world may go back to how it was before, or it may not - hard to tell.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17799
    tFB Trader
    Even once it's cleared up a lot of the people who still buy in person are going to be a lot more used to buying online and getting deliveries which will be very bad for the high street.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6405
    Decided not to look at my Pension Fund for now - will see what the new reality is come the summer :/

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3998
    I don't think we're quite at "dystopian nightmare" levels just yet, I mean yeah at the supermarket yesterday I had to get a different brand of hot smoked salmon because my usual choice was sold out but it was hardly Mad Max.
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10497
    There is going to be a huge amount of used musical instrument kit online soon at very low prices ... purely because many musicians like myself have seen thousands of pounds worth of work disappear in the last week .... not just the gigs but the teaching as well !. .... and the only way to make ends meet for a lot of us will be by selling the bits we have treated ourselves too over the years which aren't strictly necessary to gig but were nice to own. At the end of the day you only need a guitar and an amp at a push .... everything else will have to go to try and make up for the loss of earnings. 

I was never a big buyer but I have a couple of amps that can go and a couple of guitars plus some other bits and pieces. Luckily sales of my own products so far haven't been affected being as most come in at under £20 and weigh less than 500g. So I'm in a better situation then most of my professional mates. 

So it will be a buyers market for products like the Helix, expensive amps, USA Strats, boutique pedals etc. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    edited March 2020
    prlgmnr said:
    I don't think we're quite at "dystopian nightmare" levels just yet, I mean yeah at the supermarket yesterday I had to get a different brand of hot smoked salmon because my usual choice was sold out but it was hardly Mad Max.
    Not quite, but it’ll come if we don’t get a working vaccine soon-ish. Live sports, the arts (including live music) and hospitality unlikely to return to baseline for a long time and many will go under.

OP is right. The larger music companies/ manufacturers may tough it out but it’s likely that the days of small boutique products is over for a while.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 234
    I don't think my spending pattern will ever be the same. I have some savings that could vanish if i have to help my sons who have both just purchased a house. If the government dont change SSP to a proper level i am looking at a 85% drop in weekly income
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10944
    tFB Trader
    prlgmnr said:

You should try our area of London ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27824
    prlgmnr said:
    but it was hardly Mad Max.

Yeah, but that's normal for where you are Ash!
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    Essex Recording Studios or whatever he is calling himself today, will be looking for people dumping their guitars cheap, so they can afford to eat and pay bills.

Time for the vultures to descend.

Of course, no one will buy his overpriced items anyway, so he better have deep pockets or all his money will be tied up in stock.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10944
    tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    prlgmnr said:

;)

Not far wrong there Tony

On a serious note ... and re the OP: I think many things will not be the same 'after the pandemic'. I think many of us small businesses will get wiped out. The live event/entertainment industry (in which my wife works) is already decimated, with thousands of 'gig economy' technicians, riggers, sound and lighting folks out of a job. The music industry exists financially on live performance since the 'download revolution' ... so huge harm is being done with every week that big international acts can't tour, and indeed smaller live music venues can't open.
    Personally I think the outlook is very bleak indeed, for small music manufacturers like us, musicians in general, and of course the bricks and mortar music shop.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3012
    TTony said:
    prlgmnr said:

;)

Not far wrong there Tony

On a serious note ... and re the OP: I think many things will not be the same 'after the pandemic'. I think many of us small businesses will get wiped out. The live event/entertainment industry (in which my wife works) is already decimated, with thousands of 'gig economy' technicians, riggers, sound and lighting folks out of a job. The music industry exists financially on live performance since the 'download revolution' ... so huge harm is being done with every week that big international acts can't tour, and indeed smaller live music venues can't open.
    Personally I think the outlook is very bleak indeed, for small music manufacturers like us, musicians in general, and of course the bricks and mortar music shop.
    On a tangential note I’m also in the live events industry and I’m on a couple of related Facebook groups, I was reading a post on one of them earlier by a “ScottLockyer” and I did think, “Hmm pretty unusual surname, I wonder if she’s related to Ash ?” So that would be a yes then !
    I am now wondering if we ever worked together back when there was still work...
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1947
    Danny1969 said:
    There is going to be a huge amount of used musical instrument kit online soon at very low prices ... purely because many musicians like myself have seen thousands of pounds worth of work disappear in the last week .... not just the gigs but the teaching as well !. .... and the only way to make ends meet for a lot of us will be by selling the bits we have treated ourselves too over the years which aren't strictly necessary to gig but were nice to own. At the end of the day you only need a guitar and an amp at a push .... everything else will have to go to try and make up for the loss of earnings. 

I was never a big buyer but I have a couple of amps that can go and a couple of guitars plus some other bits and pieces. Luckily sales of my own products so far haven't been affected being as most come in at under £20 and weigh less than 500g. So I'm in a better situation then most of my professional mates. 

So it will be a buyers market for products like the Helix, expensive amps, USA Strats, boutique pedals etc. 

Hi Danny, Have you considered giving online lessons?might be an option to get you through
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited March 2020
    I’ve been thinking a lot about this.

It strikes me that the elephant in the room regarding music retail has been the governments policy of Austerity for the last decade? I know people go on about on line shopping and all that but consider this?

I was in Leipzig last October. Next door to my hotel in the centre of town was a small mom & pop music store. Exactly the sort of place that has closed down in the UK.  They had a display of Weehbo pedals in a cabinet. I’ve always wanted to try the JVM drive. 

Every time I popped in, they were too busy. The place was thriving. People buying and trying out stuff. Now the last time I looked Germany was the home of Thomann. So how come those places are surviving?

The simple (and uncomfortable) answer is that Germany has a more robust middle class. Wheras in the UK. Once you’re outside London & the South East. The biggest employer is the public sector. Who’ve had a decade of pay freezes. 

I mean I think the reason I managed to recover my stolen PRS, was down to the fact there’s very few places one can move a high end guitar in the UK now. There just isn’t.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom