Where do I start with Frank Zappa?

What's Hot
soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728

Watched that doc on him on Netflix and found it fascinating but there is a large Zappa-sized hole in my musical knowledge.

Which albums should i listen to if I like cool guitar too?

Cheers
My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SargeSarge Frets: 2428
    Apostrophe!
    Hot Rats
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31640
    Roxy and Elsewhere. There are plenty of others, but that's a great balance of humour, astonishing composition and guitar playing, without a surfeit of any of them. 

It's also early enough to still sound sort of organic and human. Some of his later stuff is incredibly impressive but can feel a little cold, and I say that as a massive fan with 70 of his albums. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6728
    Cheers chaps that will keep me going for now. 

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33821
    p90fool said:
    Roxy and Elsewhere. There are plenty of others, but that's a great balance of humour, astonishing composition and guitar playing, without a surfeit of any of them. 

It's also early enough to still sound sort of organic and human. Some of his later stuff is incredibly impressive but can feel a little cold, and I say that as a massive fan with 70 of his albums. 
    This.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1527
    only heard Joes Grarage back in the 80s and its Different....Titties and beer Titties and beer... I'm Petulant and i'm having a Frenzy...lol  Really liked that album.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7159

I love Hot Rats, Apostrophe, Zoot Allures, Joe's Garage, Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch, Sheik Yebouti for example.

But he has some great stuff on most of his albums, the live stuff is sensational as well.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2428
    Over - nite sensation is brilliant too
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Joe's Garage for me. Fabulous. I always cite it as the album that corrupted me as a teen.

I find some of his stuff too hard to listen to though. 
  • My suggestion would be the live album "Filmore East-1971" probably the funniest album ever released and Zappa at his satiric best with Flo and Eddie (Mark Volman & Howard Kaylan" on vocals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fillmore_East_–_June_1971

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited March 2020
    I started with Tinseltown Rebellion - a very funny live album from the mid 80's

I also have a lot of time for "The Best Band you Never Heard in your Life" as a compilation of live performances from the band that imploded in the late 80's

Studio Albums:

Overnite Sensation
    Sheikyerbouti
    One Size Fits All

• newi123newi123 Frets: 868
    I started with Them and Us for the Vai connection....... and never really got much past that! I shall also be checking up on some of the above.

Them and Us is also excellent BTW
    So basically all the albums...

• jhumberjhumber Frets: 238
    soma1975 said:

Watched that doc on him on Netflix ....
    Which documentary is that? Big Zappa fan, just searched Netflix UK and couldn't see anything there. Thanks
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16299
    soma1975 said:
    Yeh, it's a big catalogue. I don't really listen to Zappa anymore but I'd probably say find the  Zappa Plays Zappa/ Dweezil Zappa stuff that's on YouTube.  A lot of the stuff of Frank on film is really hard to watch whereas the ZPZ stuff is just normal concert footage and it's effectively curated listening so take what you like from that and then go find the original sources. 
    Dweezil seems like the nicest guy in the world and anything with him talking about playing or gear or just the world in general is worth watching. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1153
    Having never listened to him before, Camarillo Brillo really drew me in
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 660
    I really enjoy Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar...
    soma1975 said:
    Yeh, it's a big catalogue. I don't really listen to Zappa anymore but I'd probably say find the  Zappa Plays Zappa/ Dweezil Zappa stuff that's on YouTube.  A lot of the stuff of Frank on film is really hard to watch whereas the ZPZ stuff is just normal concert footage and it's effectively curated listening so take what you like from that and then go find the original sources. 
    Dweezil seems like the nicest guy in the world and anything with him talking about playing or gear or just the world in general is worth watching. 
    Strangely I have owned a couple of Zweezil albums but no Frank ones. 

• carloscarlos Frets: 3457
    Anything from '73 to '76 will be a good start - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Zappa_discography
    Or do as I did and start w/ the 6 You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore lives albums as they have a mix of all eras.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Sarge said:
    Over - nite sensation is brilliant too
    This!

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay